2002 Subaru Outback

Mixed feeling for the 2002 Subaru Outback by Mountain Momma from CA on 09/01/2011. Trim: 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon, Owned 10 years.
Pros: Love the zippiness, handling & AWD on narrow mountain roads. It's comfortable on long trips.
Cons: Within 1 year the driver's door gasket started to hiss. The passanger side started to do it too about 4 yrs later. The break roters warp easily. Both the front axles had to be replaced 2 times in 8 yrs because the boot tears/wears out easily. The head gasket blew out (145,000 miles) and overheated the engine with no warning. VERY EXPENSIVE to fix. It took 8 months & had to pull out the engine 5 times to get it completely fixed, in/out of the shop with oil leaks, etc. During this time, we found out that Subaru knew of a bad gasket for this generation of Outbacks but will not own up to it.
Overall review: I bought the car new off the lot, fall 2001 (10 yrs ago). We were very happy with the car overall for 8 yrs. We only had "wear & tear" type repairs. Then, the engine head gasket blew out 1.5 yrs ago. Haven't had any problems in 1 yr but nervous to take the car out of town because of the repair ordeal that lasted 8 months. The first 5 yrs it had good gas mileage (24-27mpg). But now I'm lucky to get 20 mpg. I bought a Subaru because of all the excellent reviews from friends & coworkers (we live in mountains). I was VERY disappointed about the engine having to be replaced/overhauled after 145,000 miles.
Sporty and Spicey by Winter Commuter from Sullivan, ME on 10/03/2003. Trim: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport, Owned 1 year.
Pros: All wheel drive at a good price plus a lot of included extras. It's not a luxury car, but it's excellent for the price. ~maine
Overall review: Everyone that has borrowed my car has declared it fun to drive. I contend with long commutes in bad weather, so was important to me to buy a car with good gas milage, good safety ratings, and AWD. It gets 25-30 mpg and has taken on and conquered my steep, icey driveway with 6 inches of snow. I am impressed. It also has a lot of standard features that make my commute more pleasant - 2 cup holders, A/C, CD/AM/FM, and height adjustable seats and seatbelts.
Keep Looking by Bummed in Harrisburg on 07/27/2002. Trim: 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: At about 8,000 miles nothing.
Cons: High price and low performance. 0-20 mph is a white knuckle event. The low end is very poor performance. Needs more power. You can do alot better for $26,000 plus. My subaru dealer gouges maintance costs. A 7500 mile service (oil change and tire rotation) was $108.00! This car is loaded with HYPE.
Overall review: POOR. Looking for small SUV, don't waste your time with SUBARU. At 7500 miles I've had electrical, power window, and check engine light problems.
Subie Convert by Colorado driver on 03/09/2002. Trim: 2002 Subaru Outback H6-3.0 L.L. Bean Edition Wagon, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Smooth H6 engine, AWD fun to drive in bad weather, car feels sturdy - solid thud when closing doors, higher off the ground than other non-SUV cars but no SUV "tippiness". Roomy interior for average size people.
Cons: Pricey with no snob appeal (this could be a pro). Upgrade stereo (6 CD, subwoofer etc) unimpressive - would have liked Macintosh stereo available in VDC model. Don't get sunroof/s design (?) - roof above driver/passenger doesn't slide open. May be too cramped for people 6" or taller. Won't be beating cars off the line. Short warranty (3yr/36,000mi) opted for extended warranty at extra cost - even reliable cars break down.
Overall review: It snowed 6" the day after we picked it up from dealer - lots of fun testing the AWD in the snow/ice. We considered the Passat wagon, A4 Avant, Highlander, Volvo XC, & Explorer before choosing the Subaru. We found it to be the best value for room, AWD, power, & interior.
The Sport - My Peace of Mind by Ms Bob from Idaho on 11/24/2001. Trim: 2002 Subaru Outback Sport, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The new "facelift" and AWD. The room for comfort, with "hidden" room for my tackle boxes, camp/winter gear. Feeling "grounded" in any weather.
Cons: Not having the cruise control as one unit. And not having a pouch behind the passenger seat for an atlas, small phone book or umbrella.
Overall review: When it snows, friends take me to work and back. I'm not an SUV (or a station wagon) person. I needed AWD but I wanted a sporty touch. The Outback Sport is just that w/its new look. It has given me that peace of mind as well as that sporty, affordable, AWD vehicle w/a touch of class. I am sure this is my last car purchase. My dislikes are preferences that can be compromised.