2001 Kia Optima

A great entry level competitor to Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. by An MSN Autos Consumer on 11/05/2011. Trim: 2001 Kia Optima LX V6, Owned 9 years.
Pros: I bought mine back in May 2002 for $14,500. Still driving the car every day. I only have 114K miles on it. Had to go to the dealer 6 times for warranty repairs during the 5 year warranty period. Loaner was $5/day. Still going on the original engine, belts, spark plugs, and transmission. Tires were replace 3 times and brakes twice. I replaced the front brake rotors at 100K. I'm on the third battery.
Cons: Warranty: Passenger window repaired, speed sensor repaired, auto transmission shift repaired, squeaking body caused by rusted sub-frame (finally broke after warranty expired), broken defrost switch replaced. Paid out of pocket: Rusted sub-frame replaced, leaky power steering pipe repaired, arm-rest/compartment lid repaired.
Overall review: For the amount of money spent on purchase and repairs, it was well worth it. I have gotten my money's worth in the past decade driving this car. It has been very reliable. I did not miss a day to work because of car trouble. I owned a mercedes before for 10 years, and missed more days from work while owning the mercedes. Reliability has been great, but little repairs will cost you in the long run.
Beware by John B. Flowery Branch, GA on 09/19/2003. Trim: 2001 Kia Optima SE V6, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Looks good, drives nice.
Cons: The following items have been replaced or repaired: Drivers window will not go down. Fuel Gauge replace. Two recalls (One whiched caused the car to stop on the freeway.) Battery replaced. Alternator Power locks open then lock then open... Clock flashes on and off. Radio sometimes makes a humming noise. Fuel lid pops open while driving.
Overall review: They need to improve on the quality.
Nothing But Aggrevation!!! by Steve on 03/24/2004. Trim: 2001 Kia Optima SE, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Very stylish and comfortable auto. The drive train (engine and transmisson) have been very reliable. Thankfully the service department at my dealership is first rate and have been there with me throught the entire ordeal.
Cons: Where do I begin? Window "Regulators" have failed multiple times. Gas Gauge Replaced twice, Gas Door "fixed" then replaced. Clock Replaced. Brake Pads squeeked so bad that they had to be replaced. Locks have been "fixed" or replaced multiple times. Two pieces of trim have fallen off and had to be replaced. Floor mats do not stay hooked to anchors. Ash tray would not stay closed and had to be "fixed" then replaced.
Overall review: I purchased this car as a "program car" with 15,000 miles. My experience is that this usually gives the car time to have all the bugs worked out. However, that is based on the premise that the auto maker is sound and has some degree of quality control. Kia apparently has neither. You could not pay me to ever own another Kia and I bad mouth them every chance I get. Perhaps I can spare someone else the aggrevation I have experienced
Review ID: #420054 Is this review offensive?
TOTAL TRASH by Maddog from Winchester, KY. on 12/28/2003. Trim: 2001 Kia Optima LX, Owned 1 year.
Pros: looks good
Cons: our kia has been in the shop 11 times for various items from the interior falling apart to the battery being replaced. we're on our 3rd radio, 2nd window motor, and various other items in the interior. Do not waste your money on a Kia, period! Check out other brands. Kia is owned by Hundai, so beware there also.
Overall review: Car is not even good enough for the garbage can.
Stupid purchase by bad purchase in colorado on 08/10/2003. Trim: 2001 Kia Optima LX, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Great gas mileage for commuting
Cons: I disslike everything about it from things not working to the non existant trade or resale value . Once you are in it plan on paying it off then you might be able to give it away if it still runs.
Overall review: I think it is a piece of trash and will never puchase a kia again .And will make sure that the people i know will not make the same mistake i made.