2002 Ford Explorer

Good at first, now not so much by Turning Japanese (I really think so) on 10/26/2011. Trim: 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD, Owned 9 years.
Pros: I've had this car over nine years and it's styling has held up pretty well in that it doesn't look like and old car. The automatic 4 wheel drive system is great in bad weather, and the car excels at hauling lots of people and their stuff. I was mostly very pleased with this car for the first 7-8 years that I owned it. It's been a good family truckster.
Cons: Once the car hit about 90,000 most of the major components started to give out. Alternator, ABS sensor, 4X4 control module, brake master cylider, and the biggy the transmission ($3800 to rebuild). I know it's a machine and things wear out, but this is just a small list of the things I've had to fix on this car in the past year and a half or so and doesn't include a list of all the litte bits that have given out too. Now at 107,000 I'm getting a grinding noise from the front passenger side wheel area that I'm guessing is going to be the wheel bearing problem so many Explorers of this vintage have. SO MAJOR CON: QUALITY (or lack there of).
Overall review: So, I said I'd keep this car 10 years when I bought it and my sentence ends in May of 2012. It was a good car for the first seven years or so, but these days with proper maintenance (which I am meticulous about) the major components of a new car should last well over 100,000 miles. I was really hoping that my apprehension about buying an American car would have been negated by this purchase, but sadly it was not and I'm thinking MDX, CX9, Pilot or Highlander for my next car. This is my first and last Ford, and that is a shame because they lost a potential longterm customer. My brother in-law bought a Pilot the same time I purchased the Explorer, he paid a bit more but has none of the major mechanical or quallity issues that I've had and he has about 12,000 miles more on his car. So unless you have deep pockets or are a mechanic, I'd avoid the 2002 Explorer. Unless you want to buy mine.....
Ford explorer by An MSN Autos Consumer on 05/21/2012. Trim: 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD, Owned 10 years.
Pros: Great looks very comfortable seating and handles awesome..
Cons: The Transmission problems.. Electrical problems and the outrageous price to fix these factory defects!
Overall review: I still love my explorer!
My Explorer by RN5708 on 02/11/2008. Trim: 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Fairly comfortable, high enough to see everything on the road. Lots of cargo space.
Cons: Nothing really, at first I was afraid it would be too small for my needs but that was a misconception. Cargo area is larger than I thought it was going to be. I've found that the transmission is a little smaller than other comparable vehicles but it seems to run okay with good maintainence.
Overall review: I really enjoy my Explorer and it gets the same mileage as my Crown Vic and better than my truck.
the best midsized suv by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/28/2007. Trim: 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: the optional 4.6l v8 is the best feature of this vehicle it out powers the competition. the third row seat is a nice option in this midsized suv along with the rear heat and ac.
Cons: I believe the auto 4wd is the biggest flaw that ford came out with, I would rather have the option of having 2wd and when you needed it 4wd than just the auto 4wd this system can have some problems at times.
Overall review: Of all the suv's I have driven I enjoy this one the best with the independent rear suspension rides better than anything else in its class. great stance, best power, and towing capacity..
Review ID: #520759 Is this review offensive?
get a JEEP by Cory from Kentucky on 11/30/2004. Trim: 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: good looks,not bad performance, safe in wrecks
Cons: way to many electrical problems,anti-lock brakes dont work, very uncomfortable seats and lacks in room if your taller than 5'7",paint on roof rack and trim around the windows dulls fast and falls off etc...
Overall review: not bad if u like good lookin lemons