1991 Ford Explorer

1991 Ford Explorer pictures are not available
1991 Ford Explorer Prices
1991 Ford Explorer Fuel Economy
Think twice & then again don't by TH144 on 10/08/2009. Trim: 1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4-Door 2WD, Owned 9 years.
Pros: It's tows well? But not itself.
Cons: I have 148,000 miles on it, but I've had to replace both heads that cracked. The front left rotor literally disentegrated, none of the power windows work except for the passenger side, it leaks into the rear left cargo area from the window seal. Gas mileage is marginal at best. Electrical problems are a nightmare. I built a towbar just for it to be towed by my F-250. What Ford was thinking when they made this vehicle? I don't know, maybe it's because it was the first year and they didn't have all the bugs worked out.
Overall review: Poor at best....
Never get stuck! by Ray from Spokane, WA on 02/01/2009. Trim: 1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4-Door 4WD, Owned 7 years.
Pros: My explorer had the 4.0 with a manual transmission and had no problem towing my 18' aluminum fishing boat at 70 mph on the freeway. I had aftermarket exhaust which gave it a little more pep, but never had a problem with power for a v6. My parents bought it new in 91 and I bought it from them in 2002. When I traded it in last year it had 246,000 miles with nothing done to the motor or tranny, just kept the fluids changed and few starters and alternators over the years. I couldn't pass up the $3,000 trade in for a new Tahoe. I was sad to part with it! I live in Spokane, WA and this thing was always amazing in the snow, even when pushing it with the bumper in the woods.
Cons: ABS system
Overall review: Great 4x4 for the money. I recommend a manual if you can find one.
The vehicle that can be what you need it to be by Jen "Mean Kitty" from CT on 07/08/2008. Trim: 1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4-Door 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I like how it drives like a car but can be a truck when you need it to be. As a single parent I need all the room I can get for groceries & other shopping as well as room for the kids to not kill each other. I also don't have to worry about getting stuck in the New England snow. I own 2 1991 Eddie Bauer 4 door 4WD, but only one is an auto transmission. The other is a manual transmission which is rare.
Cons: Well since I aquired both mine used & many years past their prime, my only dislike is the repairs I have done that cost a bit. The automatic blew it's tranny after it hit 15yrs, which isn't bad in itself but repair could be costly. I went the parts truck route on that :) The manual blew a rocker arm then I had to replace the heads. Brake lines over time rusted, body panels have rotted in the typical spots but other than that just LOFs, tune ups & minor replacements
Overall review: Whether you buy it new or slightly abused, this vehicle is worth whatever you spend for it & on it. As one of my 4X4 buddies in NEX (New England Explorers club) has been quoted as saying "they can pry the keys from my cold dead hands" when it comes to the thought of giving up his Explorer but I feel it's the concensus of us all
Great Reliable Family Vehicle by Stacey in Bend, OR on 05/20/2007. Trim: 1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4-Door 4WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: We have had ours since 2002. We love the versatility of our Explorer. We have the Eddie Bauer V6 manual tranny with just under 100k on it. It runs great, reliable, roomy and 4 wheel drive is a must for us. It handles great in the snow and we get a decent amount of that around here. The split fold back seats allow for more cargo space and the roof rack allows for a packasport that gives you even more cargo space. We can take the kids, the dog, luggage etc...and go wherever we want to. We could even tow a camper/boat (if we owned one).LOL.
Cons: It rides a bit stiff, but it is a TRUCK !! The only real issue we have had with our Explorer is an oil leak, NOT major by any means, but a pain for the garage floor. The leather seats are wearing pretty bad, but with 100k I suppose that's normal. It only has one cup holder which is annoying. That may be due to us having a stick though. Cannot complain too much...... gas mileage 16 all town/city driving, hwy about 21, not done very often.
Overall review: We love our Explorer. We also have a 93 Ranger with the same engine and 185k miles, which is why we bought the 91, we knew with the same engine, what problems to look for (not many) and that we could get another 100k miles from it. The only reason we would get rid of it is to get something with a 3rd row seat, a newer explorer, an expedition or maybe a suburban.
EXPLORER by Jordan on 05/03/2007. Trim: 1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4-Door 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Powerful engine with little modofications(Exhaust)
Cons: Front end alignment
Overall review: Good car, poor exhaust