2001 Kia Spectra

you get what you pay for by taufiq ajmeri from Illinois on 05/12/2007. Trim: 2001 Kia Spectra GSX, Owned 3 years.
Pros: -stylish look -price -hatchback -better than average braking -looks big from outside -stylish headlights -leather steering wheel -quite at high speeds
Cons: -cheap interior..very cheap -interior plastics -feels light -car leans a lot when turning -interior has no pesonality -power -tires too small -very bumpy ride
Overall review: recommend it if ur budget is small or a college student
Kia Spectra by Michelle on 10/11/2004. Trim: 2001 Kia Spectra GSX, Owned 3 years.
Pros: It was cheap
Cons: The interior is made cheaply. Does not have useful cup holders.
Overall review: I wouldn't buy another Kia and would suggest that other people not waste their money buying one.
Piece of Krappa by Unhappy in Vermont on 06/29/2004. Trim: 2001 Kia Spectra GS, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I find this car roomy and comfortable. I also get decent gas mileage.
Cons: Hatchback leaks when it rains! Back tires go bald every 6 months despite getting an alignment every 6 months. Handles very poorly in winter, snowy weather. The road noise is terrible and the ride is so bumpy I feel like I am driving on a dirt road while driving on pavement! Had too many problems with the car during the first year I had it.
Overall review: I bought the car used with 13,000 miles on it and had to bring it for repairs about four times within the first year I had it. There was some sort of crushed connector wire that had to be fixed twice. Then the front tire wheel bearings had to be replaced. And there was some sort of exhaust problem. In addition to the mechanic problems, I had a piece of molding under the drivers side half of the car fall half off the car. That fell off within a couple of months after I bought the car. If you live somewhere where you get snowy, wintry weather, do not buy this car. It is the worst winter handling car I have ever driven, even with winter tires! On windy, summery days, it is a beast to handle. The wind pushes that car around like a feather. Basically, this is a cheap, poorly made car and I now know the reason why they have the 'best warranty in America'. I will never buy a Kia again.
My KIA's not slow!! :) by Sarah, Riverisde, CA on 03/30/2004. Trim: 2001 Kia Spectra GSX, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I love the look of the car, I've had it mistaken for a Honda. Seems like some people are having a problem with the acceleration, etc. Personally, for a four banger, my car hauls...I've taken MANY altered Hondas...Nissans....Acuras, etc., and my Spectra is all stock. I'm pleased with the sound system and love that the interior is loaded with all the options I want(except C/C). The trunk space is more than enough. I can fit 2 strollers and an assembled toddler bike(I know that sounds kinda of random) in the trunk and still have ample space in the trunk for shopping and similar tasks.
Cons: Hmm...THE HUGE DENT IN THE DOOR!!!!! The body seems easily damaged (usually by jurks that don't know how to open a door). I slammed into one of those cement pillars they put in front of the gas tanks(don't ask)and the car had minimal damage...just some cracked paint, no dent. People are complaining about things that are usually within their control. The car will respond to the way you drive it. The tranny went bad? You drove 500 miles in less than a week? How was the car being driven? HELLO! And don't pussyfoot the pedal when you're ready to pull into traffic....floor it!
Overall review: Overall...this is the least problematic car I've owned. I've had minor issues, but the warranty covered them all. And I have to honest I am NOT easy on this car, I haven't blown an engine or had an tranny problems...so I maybe it's the luck of the draw. The most significant downside to the KIA is the service. Once you've purchased a car, don't bother trying to be friednly to the staff when you come in for warranty stuff...cuz they won't be friendly to you. An all around bad attitude and the chick up front was dressed like a cheap..nevermind. Just unprofessional. I wound up having to drive to Worthington KIA in Long Beach to get things taken care of that POWER Dodge(KIA Isuzu) in Ontario wouldn't do...plus Worthington has loaner cars if they have to keep yours...just a tip.
Blue 2001 GSX by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/11/2004. Trim: 2001 Kia Spectra GSX, Owned 3 years.
Pros: For the price, this car has what it takes. A great ride and easy to move around in traffic. Bought it new in 2001 and have not had a complaint about it yet.
Cons: Wish that a V6 Engine option was available at time of purchase and dash board controls could be better illuminated
Overall review: We are a 4 vehicle family and this KIA is far more reliable than the 2000 Chevy IMPALA (It's More Problems And Lots of Aggrevation) that we traded in just recently. Everyone in the family would rather drive the KIA then take the death trap IMPALA out. Heats up quickly in the winter and gas mileage is very good. The KIA handles snow and icy roads very well. Nice styling and good transportation.