2001 Porsche Boxster

Awesome with empty pockets. by An MSN Autos Consumer on 10/14/2011. Trim: 2001 Porsche Boxster Base, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Love to drive this car.
Cons: I bought this car used with 65000 miles on it. Everything seemed ok. Less than a year later the engine gave out, then the ac compressor, then the light switch, a control cable for the top etc... I thought I got it for a good price and I did but after you add it up.... The car came with the optional 18" wheels and Pilot Sport rubber. The car handels better than great. However you need to buy them every year.
Overall review: Great car for everything but maintenance and repair cost.
There Truly Is No Substitute!!! by Lew from Fayetteville, NC on 07/11/2008. Trim: 2001 Porsche Boxster Base, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I've had my Porsche for a year now and I still love it. It handles beautifully and is a blast to drive. I haven't had any mechanical problems to date. This car wants its driver to drive fast, so one has to watch the speedometer, because 80 can feel like 60 very easily. The ride is very smooth. I purchased the triple black Boxster: black exterior, black interior, black top. I've owned around 30 cars and this one is definitely at the top of my list!
Cons: The interior is tight for larger people. I'm of average height and slender so the car is a perfect fit for me. My wife and son have complained about being uncomfortable in my Boxster, especially after long rides. I purchased my Porsche in Dallas last year and drove over 20 hours back to North Carolina with no discomfort whatsoever. It seems that the riding experience is a tad different for the passengers. I would estimate that over 95% of the time I'm driving in the car by myself, so even though my wife and son have complained about the discomfort of their backs in my Boxster, it doesn't justify my selling it to buy something else.
Overall review: I think my Boxster is amazing. It's fun to drive and definitely a hot topic of conversation. I would encourage anyone thinking about buying a 2001 Porsche Boxster to purchase one without reservation!!!
Honestly... by Kurt on 04/17/2003. Trim: 2001 Porsche Boxster Base, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Great handling and fun to drive. Design and braking are the two strongest features of the Boxster.
Cons: Underpowered for the price (220HP), no storage space, and most important: something is ALWAYS breaking. I have 17K miles on my Boxster and I've been to the dealership 6 times now. Overall, it seems like they used cheap parts.
Overall review: I have really enjoyed my Boxster, but my next car will be an M3. You simply get more car for the money.
Love at first ride. by MT on the Gulf Coast of MS on 10/06/2011. Trim: 2001 Porsche Boxster S, Owned 6 years.
Pros: I love this Boxster S. The performance and handling are breathtaking. After 10+ years the car is in excellent shape (always garaged) it looks new. I do keep it spotless all the time. The interior has stood up very well and does not show its age, I'm sure this is the result of never staying outside. This thing corners like an ice cube on glass and second gear acceleration is amazing. We never drive with the top up, ever. Smooth, quiet, rattle free and solid. This car was built in Finland. Excellent fit and finish will probably keep it forever.
Cons: Had a very long problem with this car eating batteries. My diagnosis was wanting and finally took it to the Porsche dealer. It turns out the dash module was bad it was replaced all OK now. Have had no problems with cam creep, intermediate shaft seals leaking or the dreaded d chunk cylinder problems. This is not a Chevy or a Ford and takes someone who is willing to see that the recommended maintenance is done on schedule and the expenses can be high, so bear that in mind. .
Overall review: A super nice ride, fast, comfortable and will out corner a 911 Carrera. Do have a diligent mind set when buying used, a PIP is an excellent investment. Once this car gets into your system you will be hard pressed to buy anything else. By the way I'm 63 years old and have owned 76 cars in my life many of these were European makes.
You won't be sorry! by 1 year owner from Vancouver, WA on 10/26/2002. Trim: 2001 Porsche Boxster Base, Owned 1 year.
Pros: The sound it makes at 5300 RPM with the top down in 3rd gear! 60-100 acceleration. Cornering ability is unreal. Styling still outstanding (even better on 2003's). Porsche image. Resale Value.
Cons: Can get expensive fast with options. Interior still a little plastic-y in base trim. Could use more low-end torque/power. Plastic rear window on pre-2003's.
Overall review: I didn't like the wait on the M3 or the markup from most dealers and since we had a 2000 323 already a convertible 2-seater sounded like a better option. The Boxster worked out about $15K cheaper than the M3 optioned how I wanted it which was a nice bonus. The car has been *very* reliable and Porsche service in general at least as good as BMW's. The car drives...like a Porsche! It could use some more low-end "oomph", but acceleration in 3rd gear at 60MPH+ is a thing to behold. :-) You can option them up to over $100K, but I'd recommend: Stability Management, 17" wheels w/ 255's in the back, wind-screen, Tiptronic (if you drive in traffic), and the door-sil guards. The "S" trim eliminates the power complaint and 2003's now come with a glass rear window (*sigh*!) which would be VERY nice. If you're complaining that the Porsche costs more than an Audi or something from Japan-- you shouldn't be buying a Porsche.