2001 Porsche 911

165 on I-5, dodging bogeys by WILT CHAMBERLAIN on 08/17/2001. Trim: 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Smooth with more power to go in excess of 150 MPH on the I-5
Cons: Stereo, lifetime of tires
Overall review: Cant complain just hope i dont get busted by the highway patrol
Review ID: #198034 Is this review offensive?
Porsche--blown engine in under 40,000 miles by An MSN Autos Consumer on 05/28/2009. Trim: 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Looks great--drives well
Cons: Engine blew with 37,000 miles on the car . The car had all work done at the dealer. It was never driven hard or fast. Porsche would not reimburse one penny for repairs despite the fact it was still in warranty by mileage because it was not by age. Over 15 thousand to repair. I have heard other horror stories with this car
Overall review: I would not buy again based on this experience
Fun winter beater by Jack on 05/12/2013. Trim: 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Engineering, styling, quality, handling
Cons: Typical 996 potential problems - IMS Bearing, Rear Main Seal, Potential Oil Leaks and Cylinder Problems
Overall review: Great value as a used vehicle if you are skilled as a DIY technician and have access to the proper tools. A potential financial nightmare if you don't. I have six other 996 models and in general they are fairly solid.
BEST USED SPORTS CAR-PERIOD! by STEVE FROM NC on 02/23/2013. Trim: 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: THIS IS IT! ---2001 JUST PURCHASED 2-11-13 LOOKS BRAND NEW-I'VE HAD TWO OTHER 911'S AND I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THIS 2001,TIME WILL TELL IF RELIABILITY IS THERE.
Cons: NOTHING
Overall review: THIS CAR IS A THRILL EVERY DAY, THERE IS NO CAR THAT CAN GIVE YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR MONEY.
Enthusiast
Best Daily Driver Sports Car by Glenn Ostrosky Edmonton AB, Canada on 02/06/2013. Trim: 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe.
Pros: I don't own one, but I do want one. For me it all about cash, what can I realistically afford? I currently drive a 2002 Nissan Sentra, which is great, but still costs money to drive, ie. gas, tires, oil changes, etc. A dream car for me. Like to hear what those who actually own one have to say. I hope to have one someday. The prices of the 996 (1999 - 2005) are really coming down. I have never driven one, but do hope to own one within the next 5 years, if my finances work out.
Cons: Some have had issues with the IMS (intermediate shaft) and RMS ( rear main seal ) these two issues are easily resolved. They are an expensive car to fix. That said, from what I have seen, if one has mechanical abilities, they don't look too hard to fix. Not a cheap car to drive plain and simple but just as good or better than BMW, Mercedes or Ferrari.
Overall review: Wish I had one. Overall the reviews seem great. People who have driven them love them.