2001 GMC Safari

2001 GMC Safari Prices
2001 GMC Safari Fuel Economy
Love it or Hate it - hope it isn't a lemon. by Normal family driver who lives in the county. on 03/21/2006. Trim: 2001 GMC Safari Passenger Van AWD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Last year, we had a 1995 Safari RWD van. Bought it in 1996 and sold in May 2005. We loved this van so much, we bought a 2001 AWD version (for my North Canada winter roads). Lots of passenger room, lots of rear cargo room, rides smooth and over all, I like driving the 1995 and 2001 version. Great "solo" vehicle for family of 5 with camping gear, hockey gear and other high storage needs. When it works, a great towing vehicle for short trips and/or long trips under 55 mph. (She seems to struggle too much above 55 mph – especially on hills or against a strong wind).
Cons: For our 1995 Safari, we had to replace its oil lines, an alternator and its rubber vacuum hose (which controls the front heater system) that runs across the top of its engine. These were the only non-maintenance items that blew. For our 2001, its unbelievable the amount of mechanical and electrical problems we've had since Nov 2005 until March 20 2006. For the short expensive repair list, 2 x ABS sensors, replaced cruise control module, replaced 2 x front idler arms, tranny re-build, replaced Master brake cylinder, replaced 2 x front rotors (1st set got warped), etc. For towing (4,200 lbs camper for 3 short runs per year) and short run every month with small utility trailer, we had
Overall review: When our 2001 van works, "I love it". Wish it had more HPs under the hood (like a V6 Diesel that has 20% more bull low power) and a full frame. When it doesn't work, “I hate it”. Today, we no longer trust our 2001 Safari. Time to dump "this lemon" and move onto something else. Something with more HP and higher Consumer Review ratings. Sorry to sound so negative (I really do like the Safari brand) but I do believe we have the only "full lemon" of the bunch. Would I recommend to others? If our Safari has the same or less repairs as our 1995 Safari, I'd say "go for it". For what it is, it’s a really good under 55 mph, light towing and family of 6 van. However, getting a "lemon" makes my stomach turn. I'd never buy another Safari again. Sorry GM, you lost a GM loyal customer since age 15 all because of “our 2001 AWD Safari lemon”.
GMC - Ok - Only choice for a Midsized Van by Jeff - Williamstown, NJ on 12/28/2004. Trim: 2001 GMC Safari Passenger Van AWD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Only mid sized van
Cons: Cheap American Quality
Overall review: As long as you stay on top of the service bullentins from alldatadiy than it's ok. It gets the job done, but not in style or comfort, just gets it done.
Overall best Van for your $$ by Mike & Margaret B. on 08/17/2004. Trim: 2001 GMC Safari Passenger Van, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: We looked at foreign and other domestic vans. The safari had no noise from the engine or from the out side traffic. All the electrical components operate very well. Overall it is a very enjoyable van to drive on long and short distances. Parking is OK. The safari takes strong winds on the freeway very well. My friends tow their race cars with their Safari's weekend after weekend with no problems. In other words, this van is no wimp! It's a thinking persons van. Lots of storage space and the jack and spare tire is fairly easy to find and use. The CD / radio system has excellent sound quality. We feel we made an excellent choice.
Cons: None
Overall review: a Good quality built and dependable automobile for any time anywhere activities.
Good al around by Stewart on 07/21/2004. Trim: 2001 GMC Safari Passenger Van, Owned 1 year.
Pros: This vehicle tows like a champ. There is lot of cargo space and a real truck feel to driving it. I like the fold down seats in the rear.
Cons: The arm rest on the front seats are entirly too high, is uncomfortable to use, no adjustment available. Had to replace all but one actuator for the power door locks at 83k. Power is good but could be better.
Overall review: This is a good compromise between a car and a full size van. MPG is reasonable and appointments are above average. I would purchase a second Safari.
POOR BUY by A CarPoint Consumer on 07/14/2002. Trim: 2001 GMC Safari Passenger Van, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Size and Power. Trailer Towing cap. and inside Cargo Area
Cons: GMAC's Lack of backing of veh. and hassels getting Dealer and G.M.A.C. TO TAKE CARE OF PROBLEMS THAT WERE TAKEN CARE OF UNDER WARRANTY. AFTER 5 TIMES TO DEALER FOR SAME PROBLEM.
Overall review: Sorry GM. does not care about CUSTOMER SERVICE.