1996 Audi A4

1996 Audi A4 Prices
1996 Audi A4 Fuel Economy
BEST car ive ever had by Nick, WA, USA on 02/19/2010. Trim: 1996 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Acceleration, handling, the all wheel drive. its fantastic. if you keep up with regular maintenance use good gas and oil the you will be fine. really fast quiet and comfortable ride.
Cons: its a pain to work on the engine, but if you do it once then its easy to do anything on it. cost to get your hands on one!
Overall review: everyone says its expensive, and it is, if you are incompetent. you MUST change the timing belt at 80k miles, do it yourself and its only 300 bucks then your free and clear. the reason to change it is because if it breaks, and it will cause its just a belt, your pistons will bend your valves. look, its a great car, take care of it as the manual says and you will be ok. and you will not regret your decision as long as you can turn a wrench just a little bit.
Love-hate relationship by John E on 02/10/2013. Trim: 1996 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, Owned 8 years.
Pros: Safety, styling, comfort, handling are top notch. Engine is reliable, engineering design is first rate.
Cons: Rubber parts (CV boots, vacuum lines, power steering hoses) fail prematurely. Driveline reliability is sub-par. Parts are expensive.
Overall review: Good car if you do not mind doing much of your own work. Otherwise, it is probably a money pit.
Be Wary by Bought in MI on 06/25/2010. Trim: 1996 Audi A4 2.8, Owned 7 years.
Pros: The heated seats have been a blessing and continue to work with no problems. The turning radius is great. It's a very comfortable car to drive.
Cons: Air conditioning system developed a leak 7 years ago and couldn't be detected nor repaired. O2 sensor went out about that time as well. Ball joints and radiator have had to be replaced. When timing belts were to be replaced, had the water pump replaced as well at recommendation of mechanic because the latter was hard to get to. Heated mirrors have become discolored. Bought the car for 12K with 97K miles on it, and have easily put in another 12k in repair bills. Car now has 240K miles on it.
Overall review: Will I buy another Audi, yes. However I will check the consumer reports rating before I do the get another one!.
Good Car. Could improve handling. by Ray from Chicago on 01/28/2010. Trim: 1996 Audi A4 2.8, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Smooth engine to the red line. Quiet ride. Looks.
Cons: Average acceleration. Poor road feel. Nose heavy.
Overall review: Overall a good car, but unless you can DYI repair I do not recommend you buy a used one. Timing belt + water pump need to be replaced at 80-90K, and is costly if you don't do it yourself. Multilink suspension also needs replacement from wear and tear. I just replaced all control arms and tie-rods at once to avoid doing one every few months. Cost < $500, it would be >$2000 at mechanic. Other than that I cleaned the Idle Control Valve, and the moonroof slider rails broke. No other problems for 4 years and 60K miles that I've owned it.
Love Audi, hate Audi. Love A4 2.8, hate A4 2.8 by Chris Z from Dayton, OH on 01/02/2004. Trim: 1996 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Bought this used in '99 at 32k, now have 130k on it and for the most part all the important stuff still works as advertised. I've never gotten more than 90k out of previous cars and to date the car has started every single time. Quattro is something our family has chosen to never go without again. It saved my wife's life in a near miss accident in snowy weather only because Quattro was able to get her out of the way fast enough. I like the solid feeling. Control layout is both very intuitive and easy to use when driving. Very comfortable on long drives, which is what I use this most for although as a 6'2&quot; person I could use a little more headroom...
Cons: All the dealerships know you're more or less cornered - your maintenance / repair bill will be almost laughably high. The heat control module has failed, the radio portion of the sound system has failed , front end arms replaced, catalytic converter on right side has failed, O2 sensors failed, etc. Personally I said screw it for all of the above. and left them broken. So long as the transmission and engine fire thats all I'm willing to put into it. Maintenance &quot;packages&quot; are expensive enough to make you think twice. Actual repair costs are enough to make you walk away...if only you'd known in advance.
Overall review: I've thrown 100k on this thing in 4 years in all kinds of weather. I admire / hate the extreme engineering put into nearly everything. I have a love of Audi. But its the kind of love you have for a child which continually misbehaves and drains your energy and curbs your enthusiasm for another. Would I ever get another? Only if I can afford an A8, where the dealers would pay attention and treat me like a customer rather than the kid who bought the cheapest toy in the store. The dealers are, by far, the worst set of auto dealers I've _ever_ dealt with. I'm to the point where I drive 80 miles to another city because the ones in my town are arrogant and unhelpful to the max.