2001 Volvo V40

2001 Volvo V40 Prices
2001 Volvo V40 Fuel Economy
2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next
Get the V50! by Needs more power on 09/27/2006. Trim: 2001 Volvo V40 Base, Owned 5 years.
Pros: The V40's been out in Europe for ages and finally came over in 1999. Great safety. What other car offers WHIPS? Saab's, Nissan/Infinity's, and Honda/Acura's similar active head seat restraints don't match up. Decent gas mileage. Nice size.
Cons: Terrible visibility out the back window. Cup holder is in the way of the CD player, C/C. Decent power off of the line but then poops out. Expensive to maintain. Terrible back seat leg room. Needs more headroom, too.
Overall review: The V50 is "Swede", as "Car and Driver" says, in comparison to this car. The V40 needs more power, and more intelligent thinking on Ford's part, but then again Ford--American, American QUALITY. It doesn't make sense.
Worse than a VEGA!! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 08/27/2008. Trim: 2001 Volvo V40 Base, Owned 7 years.
Pros: On the surface, this should be an excellent car. A nice turbo engine. Volvo (Ford?) quality. But the devil's in the details and this little wagon falls short at every turn. However, our Volvo dealer did provide a nice loaner car when it was in for service, which was often.
Cons: Electrically challenged. Burns out headlights. Wears tires unevenly. Brake life is marginal. Turbo smokes (70K miles!). Poor build quality. Lousy paint. Engine misses. Check Engine light on all the time.
Overall review: How many headlight bulbs have YOU replaced? What about tallight bulbs or running lights? I stopped counting at 15 burnt out headlights (at $20 a pop). We don't call them "padiddles" any more, we call a car with a burnt out headlight a "Volvo". Any problems with the engine smoking on startup yet? If not, you will. Eneven wear on the tires? Got that too. What about your check engine light coming on? I got so sick of seeing the CEL lit that I even bought my very own OBDII reset tool just to turn off the light in this car. MAF sensor failed ($1,100). Throttle body coolant temp sensor failed ($400). I have to say that my expectations were totally missed and that I was sorely disappointed with this car. THE WORST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED. Even beats out my '72 Chevy vega. Despite the reasonably accommodating dealership experience (I wish I didn't have to spend so much time there), never again folks, no way, never again.
Great car, but expensive to maintain. by Iris from PA on 07/31/2006. Trim: 2001 Volvo V40 Base, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Great looking car, inside and out - sporty and stylish with lots of Euro-flare. Fun to drive. Great safety features - which is one of the main reasons I bought a Volvo.
Cons: Needs more ROOM!! It's okay with one child seat in the back...until my husband tries to sit in the front passenger seat and has NO leg room (he is not especially tall). Very expensive to maintain... Have had similar brake and tire wear problems as others have listed.
Overall review: I do love my car, but though the sale price was excellent, it has turned out to be very expensive to maintain. I would definitely buy another Volvo, but next time I'll opt for something a bit roomier.
My Volvo V40 by John on 05/26/2005. Trim: 2001 Volvo V40 Base, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Very fun car to drive, Front seat's are very comfortable. Very attractive wagon.
Cons: Too much road noise, could use more room in back seats. Check engine light comes on possible cause is bad gasket on gas cap.
Overall review: Wonderful car. Replaced a Camry XLE and no regrets.
OK Baby Volvo Wagon by Steve from Las Vegas on 11/12/2004. Trim: 2001 Volvo V40 SE, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Safe, stylish (have "Special Edition" colors and trim), great sound system, so-so performance (but you have to step on it).
Cons: Nickel and dime (X100) maintenance costs: oil change $50; new brakes $800(pads and rotors) at 20k miles; new shocks and blown steering pump at 49k (don't ask). Body panels mysteriously coming unaligned; "cramped" (being polite) back seat.
Overall review: Good car overall, but in creating the "cheaper" Volvo, has Ford just shifted the expense to the recurring type?!?! It runs and runs on the highway and is a blast to drive at interstate speeds. Nissan Maxima has a bigger trunk than the "tailgate" of this wagon. Have an eye on the XC90 at lease end, but hesitant.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next