2001 Volkswagen Jetta

the ultimate lemon by il capitano on 04/02/2011. Trim: 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 2.0, Owned 3 years.
Pros: dash ligths (blue/red)
Cons: everything.....brakes,sensors,engine ligth on all the time,moonroof leaking,peeling interior,map sensor,uff too many to remember.
Overall review: dont buy it
Waste of money. by beancounter from Mississippi on 01/24/2012. Trim: 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Got good gas mileage for a while. More pickup than I expected.
Cons: Most expensive economy car I've ever had. Both dealers I've taken it to were incredibly expensive and basically rude and seriously incompetent. Will never buy another VW again. Quality of body and suspension and interior mediocre if being kind. Engine, power train are good, except for turbocharger. Have spent way too much money on this car. After 10 years, it only has 86000 miles, because neither my wife or I enjoy getting in or out of it. Paint quality is below pathetic.
Overall review: Don't waste your money.
Combustible explosion by Ohio on 05/07/2011. Trim: 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition GLS 1.8T, Owned 10 years.
Pros: Handling & acceleration are excellent.
Cons: Maintenance
Overall review: I purchased new in 2001 and currently have 140,000 miles on the car, 10 years; handling & acceleration are excellent; consquently, It requires almost a monthly check up and I agree with most of the entries here VW dealerships are not qualified to service these cars. I found a quality mechanic, owner of a private shop at 100K miles and prefer to pay this shop rather than the incompetent dealerships. This is a car that requires slot machine input of coins or you will be stuck on the side of the road going to a loan shark to get it fixed at a dealrship. I like the car but I am very distraught as to buying another european car and I am currently looking to buy a new car.
"The Money Pit" by Marc, Alabama on 09/19/2009. Trim: 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 1.8T, Owned 8 years.
Pros: When I bought my VW Jetta new in 2001, I thought it was a great car. And on some levels, it still is. I think it is well designed. From the outside, the car looks good. The cabin feels fairly upscale (though the seats are not very comfortable on long trips) and the materials used *seem* to be high quality materials (I say *seem* because the cloth fabric is a lint trap and the plastic coating is peeling off all over the place). The car has many advanced safety features. The Jetta also is a pleasure to drive, it feels a bit sporty, it sticks to the road and handle curves very well. And it has great gas mileage.
Cons: This car is a nightmare to maintain and breaks down regularly. I had it towed back to the dealership at least 5 times in the past 5 years. I had few problems in the first 3 years except some nagging recalls and break problems. Since then it has been a big disappointment. Among many other things, water pump, oil pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, turbo, engine check and EPC lights coming ON regularly, MAF sensor, cooling fan, all had to be replaced. At a great cost. I paid at least $10,000 in repairs for this car over the past 8 years. It's a money pit. VW made it very hard for you to maintain it yourself. So, even basic repairs are very costly, e.g. $62 to replace a headlight bulb!
Overall review: I have been a life long VW fan and I can confidently say that I will NEVER buy another one. My previous VWs were well made and lasted many, many years (My former VW Golf was 16 years old and still in great shape when I finally upgraded to the new Jetta). Not anymore. I will be buying a Camry next year. I should have given up on the Jetta 2 years ago instead of throwing good money after bad.
Jetta keeps on keeping by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/25/2012. Trim: 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GL 2.0, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: My 2001 Jetta vw is still going strong. It's never given me any trouble other than oil maintenance and othe r normal wear and tear fixes.
Cons: There was a point that the car had a strange crayon smell but that went away
Overall review: I recommend this ar because it was like a good kid, it gave me no problems and took me tommy destinations safey.