2001 Volkswagen New Beetle

One of the safest vehilcles around by An MSN Autos Consumer on 03/26/2005. Trim: 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Great gas mileage. I was in an accident, hit from the rear at 55 mph.... walked out with minor soreness and bruising. VERY safe vehicle!!!
Overall review: So small, but so safe! This car probably saved my life.
What a lemon - Want lemonade?? by Kathy - California on 09/21/2004. Trim: 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Cute car, fun to drive
Cons: Service problems since day one. VW corporate and dealers not willing to back a bad product.
Overall review: I would not buy another VW if my life depended on it. This car has been in the shop more than 10 times... headlights, windows, EPC light problem. The computer has been replaced twice, and emissions problems are constant. They told us to drive it until it died and have it towed back to the dealer. Not a satisfactory response for a 18 year old girl that drives 100 mile to/from school.
Beetles are cute.... by Jimmy on 03/16/2005. Trim: 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Sharp car, drives great, comfortable front seats, nice room in the back.
Cons: There is a little rattle in the front while idling and in reverse, the EPC light comes on and the goes off without reason, and the check engine light came on (having that checked out now). Gas mileage isn't what I would have expected from a car this small(25mpg - mostly hwy).
Overall review: It's a great car, but I think my next one will be a deisel Jetta.
The Car That Saved My Life by Derek on 01/04/2005. Trim: 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Great styling. Very fun to drive. Premium Sound. Adding Xm radio is a definate plus. Great on gas I averaged 36 to 39 mpg.
Cons: Issues with Reliablity over 1,000 dollars in repairs over 9 months. Bu it's a small price to pay for safety.
Overall review: I was in a accident in Jan. 2005 were I fishtailed off of a dirt road and flew off a bank and flip over on top of rocks in a creek 8 feet below the road. I walked away with only a sore neck. This car saved my life and I forever will buy VW for that. Later I found out that my car was totaled but the state police had measured the damage to the roof and found that if I was in anyother car I would have had serious neck injuries from the celling. I am a teenage who just turn 17 if you are thinking about getting a car for your child please get them this car it will save their life.
Good first car by bekibug from Linden, AL on 04/20/2004. Trim: 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0, Owned 4 years.
Pros: I loved the styling on this car when I got it at 16 and still do 3 1/2 years later. The interior is a bit stark if you're not used to it, but every control is within reach of the driver. As a college student, it's wonderful being able to fold down the backseat and put (literally) everything in my dorm room except the furniture in my car. It costs me about $20 to fill up, which is another plus for a student (Note: I get amazing mileage doing about 90 down the interstate, but in city traffic, it's alright). The brakes on this car still work like new, and the way I brake, that says a LOT. It drives like a dream with good acceleration and easy steering.
Cons: My big beefs with this car are with the interior. The backseat is nowhere near as roomy as the front. I made a 10-hour roadtrip in this car and felt cramped after getting out when we switched seats. One of my speakers is busted and rattles (I have stock speakers; one of my friends has the Monsoons and hers are still rockin'). Also, some of the finish is coming off the door handles inside. However, most of these things are avoidable if you are able to take care of your car and don't have excessively rowdy passengers.
Overall review: Overall I think this car is perfect for someone that can't spend a lot on a vehicle but still wants to show off a little bit. No matter how used you are to another car, this one is amazingly simple to drive. Even after 3 1/2 years my car handles and rides smoother than my mom's Lincoln. There are some problems that I've had as far as engine trouble, but those are due to the fact that I don't have a schedule (or budget) that allows me to have my car as regularly maintained as possible. The cargo space with the back seat down is amazing (I put a footlocker, a chair, and a lamp in it and still had room for everything else). This is a really good student car because of the cargo room and fuel economy, as long as you have a Jiffy Lube easily accessible.