2001 Kia Rio

Great Value Car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/14/2012. Trim: 2001 Kia Rio Base, Owned 8 years.
Pros: It is compact, affordable for my budget.
Cons: Not great for winter.
Overall review: It is good when it is new but as it gets older not great!.
trouble over time by Rebecca on 04/24/2008. Trim: 2001 Kia Rio Base, Owned 6 years.
Pros: It is affordable and was reliable until it got to 70,000 k. I bought it used at the end of 2002 for $6000 and traded it in today for $2000, so I think I got good use out of it for the cost.
Cons: The paint chipped, the locks and key to ignition would stick, especially in winter, it idles very high and is a bumpy ride and does not accelerate smoothly. it does not handle well in winter. At 70,000 K started having problems with the exhaust, then the computer and the check engine light. After many repairs, I decided to let this car go.
Overall review: I think this is a good car if it is fairly new and worked well for me for 5 years, but the last six months it started to have problems. It does not appear to be made to last and I understand why some call it a "throw away car." I traded mine in for an '05 Honda Civic and noticed today that others on this website have recommended doing this. I am not really recommending this car simply because of the problems I have had, but if you do buy it, do not expect it to last much more than 80k.
Revisiting my first car by Sasswagon on 06/30/2006. Trim: 2001 Kia Rio Base, Owned 5 years.
Pros: This was my first car and it worked out really well for me. It was good on gas [for the most part, between 25 and 30 mpg with the automatic transmission, though almost all of my driving was on highways] and reasonably reliable; most of the "problems" I had were nuisances. [The check engine light came on every Monday and turned off every Wednesday for about two months, for example, but nothing was actually wrong.] I outgrew it as I became a more confident driver and wanted more power and features, but it definitely does the job. I sold it to a family member who reports some engine problems developing after about 65,000 miles, but I don't know the specifics.
Cons: Find a trusted mechanic to take apart the rear wheels before about 50k miles. I almost lost the right rear wheel at about that point. It made a loud, ominous scraping noise; when my dad opened it up, the bearing cage and bearings had almost disintegrated. There isn't enough grease in the mechanism [a problem duplicated in another '02 Rio I've seen] and he questions the grade of steel. After replacing everything, the car has been fine, but it's something to watch for as miles build up. Fixing both rear wheels ran about $300-$400 - should have been under warranty, but the dealership told us it would take a week to determine whether it would still be covered, and I needed the car.
Overall review: I reviewed this car on its first birthday in '02 and I was pretty happy with it then. In retrospect, it was a terrific first car - the performance is nothing special, but it got me where I needed to go, and it took a lot of abuse from me as an erratic new driver. I drove it for three and a half years and then upgraded to a Toyota Corolla, which I like even more - but which cost $5k more. For what you pay for these cars, they're really pretty good basic vehicles. Mine survived multiple 500+ mile weekend trips and my teenage brother bashing it into a tree, in addition to everyday wear and tear.
I Love My Kia! by Bobby on 12/18/2007. Trim: 2001 Kia Rio Base, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Low cost, reliable, good gas mileage, easy to maneuver in tight places, fun to drive, well made. I just had the 90,000 mile check. They said it needs new rear wheel bearings and a new front axle. They also said the car is in very good condition otherwise. I was in an accident once, and someone pulled out in front of me while I was going about forty mph. The front fender got smashed, and the police officer who did the report said it was a tough little car.
Cons: The air conditioner quit working at 80,000 miles, and I was quoted $1,500. to get it fixed.
Overall review: I have had this car for six years and 90,000 miles. I have had no major problems, aside from the air conditioner, and have been very happy with it. I think it's an underestimated jewel. The people who wrote on here that it doesn't have a lot of power,etc...well, that's a trade off for getting great gas mileage. A person who wants a car with a lot of power probably wouldn't want a Kia, but you should be able to figure that out from the test drive.
Review ID: #520304 Is this review offensive?
Pass on this cart. by Deron J. Thomas on 01/04/2006. Trim: 2001 Kia Rio Base, Owned 6 years.
Pros: It was cheap.
Cons: Inside molding fell off with in the 1st weak of owning the car. Check Engen keep coming on.
Overall review: Look for a difrent car. This one is a pass.