2001 Ford Focus

Fun car! by evie_mun on 08/06/2005. Trim: 2001 Ford Focus SE, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Handles like a dream. It's nice that in Texas I can out-accelerate and out-handle most of the huge pickup trucks and SUVs. It's a cleanly built, easy to understand car which is honestly fun to drive. Great sound system, wonderful gas mileage. And it just plain looks good. A+ on passenger comfort, huge spacious trunk, comfortable on long drives.
Cons: None that I've found so far. There are some minor electrical problems like the open door light coming on when you don't shut the trunk just right, fuses being strange on the turn signals. It gets great economy on the highway, but not so good around town because of the fact that the accelerator is so jumpy.
Overall review: I would suggest this car to any parent as their teenager's first car, or to anyone on a budget. It's fun, sporty, and good looking. It gets econo car gas mileage, but isn't an econo car, which is the best thing about it. It seats 4 passengers and a driver perfectly comfortably, and it's just a well thought-out, well-built car.
No....just....no.... by Nic from Seattle on 08/22/2012. Trim: 2001 Ford Focus LX, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I liked that it accelerated well (pretty quick for a basic car) and it's turning radius. Also, it was not "ugly" and the inside was really comfortable for a basic car.
Cons: While it may have partially been the fault of the previous owners, this car broke down about three times (many more minor issues) in the just-over-a-year that I drove it and it was at just over 80,000 miles when the a hole appeared in the engine and it was completely ruined. To replace the engine, I was going to have to pay over $4,000 dollars (for an '01 Ford Focus...uh...NO!) and so it is now at a junk yard rotting away. It was my first car, my worst car, and because of it, I will never trust Ford again. At least for awhile.
Overall review: If you need a car that'll last you a year, go for it! ...But don't count on any more.
LOVE MY FOCUS!! by josie on 06/11/2014. Trim: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: I have been the original owner and I have used kits to make it fun and personalized. I have had it specialty painted X2! I have moved rock, trees, household items in my hatchback...it is huge when the seats go down and the hatchback opening is excessive. I have maintained my car with oil changes every 3k and 2 years ago started using full synthetic for cars with high mileage. There have been some problems... I had it lowered and raised it back up and put stock wheels back on it as the flat ones made it hard to drive in heavy rain or snow. I love my car! My husband is a Toyota freak and keeps wanting me to get a new RAV 4...NO WAY! I LOVE MY 2001 Focus!!
Cons: It's NOT a Truck...but it thinks it is! Shhhhhhh~~
Overall review: Very easy car to own and operate. Things that went bad on it was mostly due to just being old and rubber parts, yeah and other parts wearing out. Would've been better to not have lowered it...but dang, those were fun times! I love my 2001 Ford Focus and it looks awesome painted purple now! MY CAR looks great and it is 14 years old! whoop whoop! It is now back to standard with great new tires and stock wheels. I can't imagine selling it...it is like a "friend" to me! Love MY RIDE!!
This Car Saved My Wife's Life by LutheranRev on 11/01/2011. Trim: 2001 Ford Focus SE, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I purchased this car used earlier this year as a 2nd car for our family. My wife was the one who usually drove it. We were getting good fuel mileage with it. It handled decently for a car of its class and had suprising get up and go for that small of an engine. My wife was involved in a single car accident with it after we had only had it for 3 months and 4,000 miles. The airbags did their job and she walked away with only minor bruises, but there was enough front end damage to the car to deem it a total loss.
Cons: the interior left something to be desired. It was pretty basic for a 2001. Then again for what you pay for, you shouldn't expect a luxury car. It didn't get the 36 mpg highway that the dealer suggested it would. I was a little disappointed in that.
Overall review: I was sorry to see this car totaled in the accident. However, it did its job and kept my wife safe. If you can find one with low miles as we had, and you need, just an economical way to get around to work, school, or play, this is not a bad car for folks on a budget. If you're looking for something with a lot of bells and whistles, however, keep looking.
BUYER BEWARE!! by Steve on 07/24/2004. Trim: 2001 Ford Focus SE, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Lots of room inside. Good gas milage. Nice looking. Good handling.
Cons: Quality. Very poor resale value. Road noise.
Overall review: Solenoid in auto trans. went out at 41000 miles on freeway. Very big safety hazard. Contacted Ford Dealer (Harrold Ford, Sacramento) and Ford Motor Campany, but it was out of warranty, so they couldn't have cared less. I have heard of the same problem in other Fords, but still no recall!