2001 Saturn SC

2001 Saturn SC Prices
2001 Saturn SC Fuel Economy
Unique and useful by Cheryl on 10/24/2011. Trim: 2001 Saturn SC2, Owned 9 years.
Pros: I am 5'1" tall, and the second I sat in it 9 years ago, I had to buy it as it was the most comfortable seat I had been in. The third door makes it possible for me to toss a large purse or bag inside quickly, and the fold down seats to the trunk allow me to place piano keyboards, several ski's and large floating toys in the truck with ease. I live in the mountains of South Western/Central PA, and it gave me no problems driving on ice, heavy rain, and even roads covered in over 6 inches of snow up the mountains. It looks sporty, but gets good mileage. It lasted me over 191,000 miles. It's plastic! Dings can be self-repaired with ease, and no rust!
Cons: The sun roof went rather quickly. The parts in the interior fell apart quickly as well. The plastic molding on the front doesn't hold paint well, so it chips within a day or two of any repainting. When it got over 100,000 miles I had to watch my oil levels carefully. When it got to about 2,000 miles between changes it would eat oil until I changed it again at 3,000 miles. It stopped going into reverse at over 191,000 miles. I got 265,000 miles from a Fiero, so while I am not completely disapointed, I am not exactly happy with it either.
Overall review: It is a unique car, that gets good mileage. I may end up fixing mine up and keeping it anyway. There just isn't a car I see out there like it anywhere. That makes it valuable I think.
My Eyes Wide Open by Mike on 03/15/2009. Trim: 2001 Saturn SC2, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I bought my '01 SC2 sitting at a gas station with 3 flat tires and a broken front fender. Previous owner was trying to scrap it after seizing the motor because he never checked the oil level. I bought the car for $150 cash and towed it to my mechanic. Replaced the motor, the clutch and broken fender total cost to repair: $3,700. That was 6 months ago. Car has given me absolutely no problems besides the fact that it does use oil. From everything I've read about Saturns in general is that they all tend to use oil after they get up in miles. As long as the driver knows this and keeps an eye on the oil level it's a good little car for the money. My car averages about 36 MPG overall.
Cons: Car has about 120,000 miles on it now. It's to the point of filling the oil when you fill the gas tank. Uses about a quart of oil every 450 miles.
Overall review: For the money it's a decent car. Don't buy one thinking you're buying a hot rod because you're not. The car looks like it's a lot faster than it is but that's OK I'll take the good gas mileage over the speeding tickets. Bear in mind that the police do seem to like this car!
Slick Silver by Laura from Shawano on 01/05/2008. Trim: 2001 Saturn SC2, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The third door is definitely a plus. Just running to the store is easier because instead of taking the bag containing 3 cans of chicken soup and swinging it across to the passengers seat, you just pop open the third door, and set it on the rear seat. It also whips cheerios quite well in Wisconsin winters. he he And one more to add, the rear speakers have very good sound quality. I was quite impressed.
Cons: When ever I have more than one passenger, the one that gets stuck in the back, literally almost gets stuck. What can I say? I have tall friends, and most don't like crawling into a back seat that is meant for a 12-year old. But, when I drive alone, it is a lot more peaceful to listen to the music I like, than to figure out what the other two, fighting like teenage sisters, would want to listen to.
Overall review: This is the best car I have bought. Wait, this is the first car I've bought! Definitely a good choice.
Fun Saturn! by Cathy from Cincinnati, OH on 08/10/2004. Trim: 2001 Saturn SC2, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The gas mileage is excellent! Love the sporty look!
Cons: The only thing I dislike about this car is the hood. It is
Overall review: B+
Believing In America, or sticking with Celica GT's? by Don from New York on 11/04/2001. Trim: 2001 Saturn SC2, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I love the exterior styling and 3rd door, also buy the SC2 over the SC1. There is a very noticable power and performance difference. Also, buy the manual transmission over an automatic if you really want to feel and experience the added 20 horsepower. I love the fact that I average 35 MPG and the insurance rates are extremely good for a new car. The service of Saturn has been excellent so far. This car makes sense from an economic and driving standpoint. The 3rd door is extremely handy for groceries, dry cleaning, and added passengers. I am encouraged by the amount of "TWIN-CAM" SL2's I still see driving around that are 5-10 years old.
Cons: I have experienced several minor problems in only 6 months. The interior feels like a Chevy Cavalier-Saturn did a great job on the exterior, but inside?? I decided on the SC2 over another Toyota Celica GT based upon initial cost and performance.
Overall review: Time will Tell---I would recommend this car as one that posesses value, styling, and performance. 35 MPG from a neat looking 3 door coupe is great. Yeah sure, PT Cruisers look cool, but I have the satisfaction of routinely blowing by them and getting 35MPG versus the 22MPG of the PT Cruiser. As for Celica GT's, wow--what styling and reliability-- my 1991 has 235K on it and my parents "they inherited it" love it But for 25K?? At 25K you should get 200K miles out of a car. I could buy 2 HYUNDAI'S for that much. Do like I did, buy the car, take a chance, believe in America, and if it lets you down?? I hope that Celica GT's are going for only 30K by 2005!!
Review ID: #220808 Is this review offensive?