2001 Ford Escape

Good transportation by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/23/2011. Trim: 2001 Ford Escape XLT 2WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Have over 229K on the car and still running strong.
Cons: General maintaince.
Overall review: Good value for the money.
Escape the Lemon by mightyvikingmomma on 12/30/2007. Trim: 2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Great looking vehicle, with an awseome sound system package. that's about all.
Cons: Transmission went out at 16K miles, next we had several recalls on the auto. Then, we had several intermittent problems where the car did not idle properly, and for some reason all of a sudden it was fine. We also had an issue with the brake fluid leaking out of the resevoir, for not explained reason, we thought the brakes needed to be replaced, but they did not. Refilled the brake fluid and it was ok for a time. What else , you might ask? Well, suspension became an issue with weird noises coming from the front end at about 45K, and last thing that has been an ongoing issue, the CD player will jam, eating your CD. That's the truth about the 2001 Ford Escape.
Overall review: If you are thinking about purchasing the Ford Escape. Don't. It was the newest vehicle I've ever purchased and the worst ever.
Review ID: #520838 Is this review offensive?
Not at all what I expected by Elisa from NY on 11/28/2007. Trim: 2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: It is a nice looking SUV. That is about it.
Cons: This car has been nothing but trouble since I purchased it used in 2003 with 27k miles. Now, with over 102k miles on it, I am wishing I would have invested all the money I put into it for repairs into a nicer, more reliable SUV up front. I have had major problems with the transmission at 40k that the dealer said were known to the manufacturer and very costly for me to fix. It seems it is in the garage every month. With two small children and two jobs, I am just now finding the time to shop for a new vehicle. It definitely will not be a Ford of any make or model after my disappointment with this one.
Overall review: Based on my experience with this vehicle I will not ever purchase a Ford again.
Review ID: #519271 Is this review offensive?
Many sparks from dashboard by Robert on 11/14/2001. Trim: 2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: It keeps me dry in the rain
Cons: Built with the technology of a ham sandwich
Overall review: Mine almost burst into flames after 10K miles with sparks coming out of the dashboard, I am so afraid to every drive it again the dealer is trying to fix it. Don't buy it.
Best Compact SUV Made by An MSN Autos Consumer on 03/22/2011. Trim: 2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Great styling, large enough for 99% of the time with tow hitch for everything else. Great mileage on highway. Only scheduled maintenance required since new. Roomy with lots of leg room and head room. Just the right height for easy entry. Plastic coating on bottom takes the brunt of wet tar and rocks and saves paint job. Replacement filters easy to find since they're the same as Taurus.
Cons: Lots of tire noise on highway, seats are uncomfortable on long drives, 4WD great on paved road but will get stuck in more than one foot of snow.
Overall review: Best car I've ever owned. Bought a new Escape but still have this one.