2000 Hyundai Elantra

Comfort and Style for cheap by Samantha, Las Vegas on 05/02/2010. Trim: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I love that it rides over bumps in the road like they don't exist. My last car's shocks were blown, and driving over large speedbumps was jolting. This car takes them like they're just ups and downs in the road. It handles amazingly in regular traffic, and has less of an acceleration time pulling out into traffic. I feel like I can drive more defensively in this car.
Cons: I don't like the seatbelt position on the bottom of the driver's side. It doesn't move at all, and there's no way to reposition it, and so it digs into my side fairly frequently. Also, I wish that a CD player had come standard with it, but the Cassette player allows for an adapter to my mp3 player, so it works just fine.
Overall review: I love this car. I absolutely love it. I've been driving since I was a teenager, and in all of the cars I've ever driven, I love this one the most. It's smooth, it's roomy, and it drives like a dream. There's plenty of leg room so neither me nor my passengers feel like we're up against the dash. I love the fact that I can open the trunk from the inside. The AC is freezing cold, which is great for a place like Las Vegas. Everything about this car is wonderful. It's a great car for people looking for comfort in a cheaper car. I will definitely look into buying another year of this car when this one finally outlives its use to me.
My Commuter Car by Frank on 08/16/2007. Trim: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Great handling, decent looks, Good gas mileage. I'm getting around 30mpg. Only major replacement was the transmission after 150k miles.
Cons: I don't much care for the interior of the car, although it grows on you. There is excessive engine noise on the highway when you get up to 80mph... particularly when you have multiple passengers, so it's not a good "trip" car in that regard.
Overall review: I've owned this car for about half a year now, and I just hit 170k miles yesterday, but it's running really well. Certainly built better than many give it credit for.
Happy Owner by 5thGear on 04/19/2012. Trim: 2000 Hyundai Elantra, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: - it has been very reliable to me and my family, it's been almost without fault and what has been needed to fix was nothing major(never broken down on the road) - low fuel cost - low insurance - low service costs(peanuts) - handling is surprisingly good on twisty roads, just don't go for the 1.6 litre if you're going to carry more than two people and maybe some luggage haha (i'd say the 1.8 is a good bet, makes for better economy I think because you won't have to trash it as much to get it going) - slick gearbox - very easy to drive, predictable, always know what the front wheels are up to. noob proof handling really - abs, airbags, airconditioning, cd - all standard as far as I can remember
Cons: - a little low on power, especially the 1.6. fully loaded uphill, you'll be trashing it to keep up with traffic - a little noisy at motorway speeds - dull interior, a lot of plastics but lets be honest.. what cheap cars from this era didn't have it? - not a looker, it won't get you girls or cred in the traffic (for all you novice drivers out there) but its not all bad, it is what it is - check the electrics and breaks before buying, if theres any flashing lights or anything like that don't buy it - take it for a good long spin, make sure the steering doesn't twitch, or breaks cutting in, that could be bad - also mind you the estate isn't huge in the back, but sufficient for a small family
Overall review: the way its dropped in price since 2000 now you can pick one up for next to nothing, even the ones with low mileage. I suggest you go for a 2nd gen as the 3rd gen is plain ugly, and slower too(fact). the engines themselves are almost bullet proof, so is the handling for a car of this type. theres alot of reason why you would buy one if you for instance are buying your first car, or just looking for something reliable and cheap that won't turn around and bite your pocket in half. i've owned it now for 12 years and it has been a great car, its not shouty, it gets on with the job of taking you from a to b. and did I mention the way it deals with bumps? it deals with imperfections in the road superbly. take a test drive of a good sample and keep what I said in mind (don't go for the 1.6), and whatever you do.. buy a manual! an automatic doesn't suit it atall, that would ruin the whole feel of the car. manual is definitely a must!
great Elantra by doittoit, Yucca Valley on 01/24/2007. Trim: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Almost everything, reliabilty, I'm, 6'3" and good room has 68K miles
Cons: drink holders, drinks in way of power plug and radio and heater controls when drinks placed in holder. no arm rests on seats
Overall review: Had 2 problems, coil died and cat converter desintgrated, both coverd under warrenty, dealer gave loaner car. cat took 3 weeks to replace. D
Just a Liar by NL, NJ on 06/29/2004. Trim: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Lower price comparing to other brands of the same size. The warranty ads sounded good.
Cons: Unreliable. Had Check Engine Light come up 4-5 times already at 60K. It came up and went away after a few days, which then the dealer just told me to ignore it, last time it lasted for a few weeks. Transmission oil leaked after 20K, the dealer didn't honour the warranty and claimed that it was a part of maintenance. Side window motor broke at 40K.
Overall review: My worst decision ever made. I would never buy Hyundai again.