2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

car is 11 years old and still running strong by Huachipato from Texas (DFW) on 01/16/2011. Trim: 2000 Mercedes-Benz E320, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I purchased this car in 2006 with about 90K miles on it. It now has 175.5K Miles and dare I say it runs better than it did when I purchased it. Through the different forums I have learned exactly how to do the different jobs to do the regular maintenance. Car is almost 11 years old, and people still thinks it is a pricey car. It has a timeless design that still looks great. Engine and transmission are still running very strong. MB has high mileage programs and I have earned my first grill badge. Plan on keeping this car till the wheels literally fall off (if that ever happens).
Cons: There are two design flaws in this car. The cup holders in the front are flimsy and right on top of the transmission shifter. If you spill liquid on the shifter, you will more than likely short out the transmission circuit and need to have it replaced (not cheap). The only other poor design is the airbag sensor cable inside of the passenger seat - it is stretched across a sharp metal edge that will eventually cut through the cable (cheap fix if you do it yourself - but about $600 if dealer changes out the sensor). The car depreciates really fast, but for me that was an advantage (I was able to buy it very cheap). Rear window regulators are not good (I disconnected mine).
Overall review: I am very much a DIY kind of guy - so for me the car has been relatively cheap to own and very reliable at the same time. Absolutely love it. There are many forums on the web that will explain many of the things that go bad, and how to repair them without the need to go to the dealer and spend big bucks. So far, aside from regular maintenance parts, the car has only needed new engine mounts ($100 in parts) and new EGR valve and related tubes and hoses (about $200 in parts). All in all, really not much work needed at all. I also had to do the repair to the Airbag sensor in the passenger seat, which in the end cost me about $1 in cable parts, but great satisfaction in seeing the SRS light turn off on it's own. I appreciate little design things that they did put in the car. I love the fact that the oil filter is top center on the engine - easy to reach and no mess to swap out. The one wiper design is really cool and effective. I'd recommend the car to anybody... :-)
Still a strong competitor by RonMart from Sammamish, WA on 07/09/2001. Trim: 2000 Mercedes-Benz E320, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Although awkward at first, the controls in this car are great. Everything is in plain view and easily accessible. Try to adjust the seat or lumbar in other cars while driving and then try this one. You can actually SEE what you are doing, and don't have to hunt around blindly! The MB engineers have really paid great attention to detail and it shows. The engineering and quality are excellent, and the looks are awesome. This (and my previous E320) are the only cars I've ever owned where the that new car thrill has never worn off. Each day is like the day I drove it off the dealership lot. I've got every option (COMAND, Park Sensor, Nappa…) and all but the headlamp washers are worth getting.
Cons: Although the cruise control works very well, I hate the location of the wand. I wish the COMAND system used DVD and had a wider screen (like my 2001 Lexus LX 470 DVD Navigation system). The glove box size sucks, but that is common with most cars these days. Finally, I wish they had a long wheelbase version of this car because I prefer the E over the S, but I wish it had an extra foot of space in the back seat for getting my son in and out with a car seat (although its LOADS better than the BMW 5 series).
Overall review: My ownership first experience with Mercedes-Benz was with the purchase of my 1998 E320. It was a special order car with only 3 options (sunroof, park sensor, and premium stereo). I absolutely LOVED that car every day that I owned it. Unfortunately in December of 1999 while I was bringing my 1 year old son to daycare I was rear-ended by a full-size van traveling at 45 MPH going down hill. The collision was violent and I was briefly knocked unconscious. After my son and I walked away from such a violent collision I had a new love for that car and Mercedes Benz. What you hear about Mercedes are true, and my son and I owe our lives to that car. I didn't hesitate to order a new E320 (this time fully loaded thanks to my finances improving since the purchase of my first E). Although it took me a while to warm up to this car after the love I had for the Benz that saved my life, I have fallen in love with this one and feel it was worth every penny I paid for it. These are truly outstanding cars
Buy this car by Suntubi Hollywood, Fl on 02/19/2011. Trim: 2000 Mercedes-Benz E320, Owned 1 year.
Pros: it looks and runs great. Climate control is just right. Controls are easy and responsive. Ideal car.
Cons: Seats are not as comfortable as other Benz's I've owned
Overall review: best car I've ever owned and this is my 6th Mercedes
"Mercedes E320" by Audi R8 on 10/13/2010. Trim: 2000 Mercedes-Benz E320, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Bought this car brand new in September 1999 and had it for 5 years before trading it in. during the 5 years I've had this car this was a very solid car in terms of performance and handling. the handing dynamics were phenomenal, and had excellent road feedback. driving this car you knew what the were doing. the engine was powerful and very refined. the interior was what you'd expect from a benz. it had very classical styling with the double circle headlights. overall, i enjoyed this car for the 5 years ive had it.
Cons: this had many problems electronically and mechanically. there were always problems with the computer and radio. at one point, we had to bring it back to the dealer at least one every other week because of problems here and there. the screen for the radio display was broken one instance. another was with the computer constantly beeping or alerting for no reason. back then, most mercedes did have many electronic issues. also, this car performs very poorly in snow. where i live we have a lot of snow and because of the rearwheel drive, it performed poorly in snow.
Overall review: Despite all the reliability problems, i would still recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a used safe practical car. besides the problems i had with my e 320, i would recommend this car to any young teens in the market for looking at this car as this car's resale value is very low now. the main reason i bought this car was because of safety, practically, and performance ( and because it was the best German midsize sedan back then). i do miss this car though.....
Almost but not quite by yat on 01/17/2001. Trim: 2000 Mercedes-Benz E430, Owned 2 years.
Cons: The command system is totally useless, did not work for the first 15,000 miles and still is not properly functioning
Overall review: The car handles well is attractive in styling and deficient in interior design. I have never owned a car in which you cannot turn off the radio without turning off the whole command system (ie. phone, radio, cd and navigation system)