2000 Volkswagen Passat

2000 Volkswagen Passat Prices
2000 Volkswagen Passat Fuel Economy
Worst car I've ever owned by Disgruntled VW owner from Daly City on 01/16/2012. Trim: 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6, Owned 4 years.
Pros: My hatred for this car runs so deep it's hard to think of a single thing I could list as a pro. I guess the front seat warmers are good.
Cons: Very unreliable, very expensive to repair. Pick a part, any part, because chances are we had a problem with it. Brakes, windows, interior temperature controls, and even the rear view mirror all broke in the 2+ years we've had this poorly built car. 3 months ago we were faced with the decision of dumping yet another $3,500 into this car to replace the catalytic convertor so that we could pass smog.
Overall review: We bought this car used with about 35,000 miles on it from a seller who was diligent with upkeep so we were fully expecting many years and miles of use. I really wish that we opted not to replace the catalytic convertor and just traded it in but we were hoping to get another 2 years out of it as it only has 60,000 miles on it. Last week our timing belt broke while driving on the highway. I barely had enough time to get as far to the shoulder before the car died. So late at night with my 3 year old daughter in the car I'm stuck on the side of the highway with trucks brushing by me at 70 mph. I laugh when I see VW commercials touting the brand's safety because you almost killed me and my family VW and now you've left me with a whole lot of scrap metal that only has 62,000 miles on it unless I choose to pay your ridiculous $10,000 for a complete engine rebuild. Will never ever buy a VW again!
PAssat 1.8T with tiptronic is superb! by ToNy Otogo on 05/25/2008. Trim: 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 1 year.
Pros: well built car. love the sporty roar of the engine & goodness it moves (when on tiptronic)!superb styling (interior & exterior), classy moonroof, very comfortable, acceleration using tiptronic is superb. tiptronic understands the turbo-charger better than the auto transmission (auto transmission with turbocharger=sluggish! why?). classic design which will be a reference point for a LONG TIME! does extremely well on long haul journeys.
Cons: plastic & interior components seem to break easily & replacement is stress! generally maintenance seems to be expensive. i m very reluctant to use the car as a run around car. fabric option not good for long term ownership due to wear & tear.
Overall review: 1.8T(URBO) with tiptronic is excellent. comparable v6 performance with fuel economy of a 1.8. acceleration is superb with the tiptronic. not the auto transmission which is very sluggish.
Fun to drive, a little expensive to maintain by An MSN Autos Consumer on 05/07/2008. Trim: 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6, Owned 8 years.
Pros: As original owner purchased in 2000, my family thoroughly enjoyed the 5 speed stick shift with the V6. A pure fun to drive and pass other cars. The braking is superb although a little quirky since the rear brakes break first so that the car stops more evenly. Fairly reliable although had a few problems see Cons. So far running up to 105k with no clutch replacement yet. Probably at 110k will need a new clutch with costs between $900 - $1800.
Cons: Agreed with most others that the plastic on the door handles start to deterioate. It's a minor inconvenience and starting to look ugly. The few problems I had in maintenance are : replaced water pump at 60k and 80k (covered by 100k powertrain warranty) replace CV which are not covered by warranty and cost $400 each side. No brake or engine problems on V6 so far. Normal 5k oil changes. Normal 50k brake pad replacment. At 100k, the remote hatch release went out and cost was $200 to fix and replace.
Overall review: The car has been a joy to drive. My wife just loves it. The few minor maintenance issues weren't too bad but annoying and little expensive.
2000 VW Passat by An MSN Autos Consumer on 06/13/2010. Trim: 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS V6, Owned 10 years.
Pros: Excellent performance, relatively troublefree.
Cons: Bumpers are a problem which would benefit from the rubber bumper guards standard in Europe, but a necessary addition here.
Overall review: excellent car
My Baby Car by Buffbody from Fenton on 06/30/2009. Trim: 2000 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Quality is top-notch, and so far ahead of it U.S. competitors!
Cons: The cost of necessary repairs and maintenance is far greater than a domestic automobile.
Overall review: Love my VW Passat!!