1998 Dodge Durango

Great Ride by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/10/2012. Trim: 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Size,Handling
Cons: Milage
Overall review: Realy enjoyed owning it.
Awesome truck. by Off-roader on 02/14/2009. Trim: 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Had it for awhile. Love the 5.9L with the tow package. It can really go, especially with the 3.92 rear end. Great styling, very comfortable. Best transfer case I have ever used. Tows 6000lbs with ease, even got 9mpg.
Cons: Mileage and clearance with the optional skid plates doesn't work on really deep snow, otherwise great.
Overall review: Very reliable and powerful, with lots of comfort.
"Been Dependable" by Bobby D. from Gadsden, AL on 06/20/2008. Trim: 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD, Owned 10 years.
Pros: Never had a major problem. Good family vehicle. Used a lot to move items and pick up lumber from hardware and still be used as a family car.
Cons: As of now! Gas mileage, most I have ever hit was 18 mpg. Most of the time it is 13 -15!
Overall review: I like this year due to the styling and handling.
great investment by Ricky from Tucson on 01/12/2008. Trim: 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: It drives good and has power to tow
Cons: The 5.2 has a problem with the oil pump screen cloging dew to sludge build up, ( screen mess to small)
Overall review: Pretty good truck, Mine has 206,000 miles and it is a tree company truck, it gets it's abuse.
A good REAL SUV. Lots of fun, but lots of gas. by JC from Miami. on 05/18/2007. Trim: 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I owned this car for about a year and a half. Black, 4WD, 5.7L, tan cloth interior. The main reason I bought it was for the space. Very big interior, and very comfortable seats. I liked that the back seats folded down completely flat. That helped a lot when transporting big items. Another thing is the interior is VERY quiet. The car had a lot of useful power. Matched with its 4WD, there were many days in Florida that were flooded by hurricane rain, and I never had a problem driving through some of the flooded roads. For stock suspension, this SUV was great for off-roading. Definitely an SUV that is capable of some real off-roading! Highly recommended for fun factor.
Cons: Gas is the first thing. I was averaging 11-12 city miles per gallon. However, there are some easy modifications you can do to improve that. I installed an upgraded cold air intake, and also a mass air filter and saw my city mileage go up to 14-15. It's about $200 in total, but worth the upgrade. Plus you gain a slight power increase. I didn't really have any minor mechanical problems, but in my particular case I had a very very bad problem. My engine block cracked in half. When Dodge checked it out, they found that it was due to faulty craftmanship. So they installed a new engine. That's nice, but still a little scarey to know about Dodge's craftmanship.
Overall review: I really enjoyed the Durango while I owned it. It was a lot of fun to drive. Very quiet interior. Nice rumble with the 5.7L engine. I can tow pretty much anything, and can definitely get through most terrains. Only real downside is how much gas it uses, but with some minor upgrades anyone can help it improve a little bit.