1996 Dodge Ram 1500

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Prices
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Fuel Economy
'Clifford The Big Red Dodge' by My other car is a Toyota.............. on 07/04/2011. Trim: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg. Cab 8-ft. Bed 4WD, Owned 9 years.
Pros: This truck has decent power. A heavy duty frame. the simplicity of this truck is nice. Plenty of room to work on the engine. Straight forward, simple overall design. You can fit a lot of tools and things inside the cab.
Cons: I have been getting only 12 mpg.Have put 3 wiper motors in, 2 fuel pumps, replaced the entire front end, twice. Had the driveshaft fly off while driving. Replaced the entire engine cooling system.All of the braking system twice, front and rear. All fuel lines and brake lines replaced. The bed has major rust over wheels. Clearcoat peeling off,headliner falling down everywhere. Ruined thosands of dollars in tires thanks to faulty front end.Drivers mirror lost tension, cup holders are useless, ashtray too close to shifter. Door hinges falling off. Inside door skins falling off. Burns oil.Electrical problems in wiring harnesses.Replaced all u joints and front axle seals and Its still under 100K!
Overall review: I really want to like this truck, but c'mon! I am just wondering what next? This one has the 5 speed tranny and I have had some issues there as well? Really disappointed in the quality of the products being produced by this Country. I think it is time for a change! We need to fight back and prove that we are a great Nation and the automobile industry is a great place to start! Due to the lack of reliable employment opportunities where I live, I am forced to keep this truck and hope for the best. It has really cost me a lot of money already and continues to be a maintenance nightmare. We learn from our own costly mistakes, I can only hope that others have learned from mine as well.
1996 Dodge Ram by New York on 09/09/2009. Trim: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg. Cab 8-ft. Bed 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: The 5.9 360 had the power to do everything I needed it to. They also sound excellent and are fairly stylish in my opinion. Although the transmissions are known to be bad (especially on the 1996 models) mine held up very well and always shifted smoothly even at 140k.
Cons: Truck had a lot of problems. Alternator, belt, belt tensioner, and starter all went within 4,000 miles. Not very good on gas but neither is any other truck. Truck started burning oil too.
Overall review: Overall, the truck wasnt bad for a 17 year old kid. It had plenty of power, but also had plenty of problems. If I were to buy one again, it would be a different model year with lower mileage.
Wonderful Truck by Jamal on 12/09/2010. Trim: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 WS Reg. Cab 6.5-ft. Bed 2WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: When I bought the truck I really did not have any high expectations for it, but after all these years and 265,000 miles later I am very impressed. I just had it painted and it's turning heads. My ram is reliable, stylish, and able to do what I need it to do. I just keep the maintenance up and keep it fed gas.
Cons: Gas mileage is really bad. Had some transmission problems, but later found that it was the TPS.
Overall review: Really good truck!
Dodge RAM 4x4 8 foot bed by An MSN Autos Consumer on 10/21/2010. Trim: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Club Cab 8-ft. Bed 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Plenty of power , and decent on gas , I get 16 miles per gallon with the 5.9L gotta love the 5 speed transmissiion, 160,000 miles on it TROUBLE free, runs great
Cons: Hard to park in parking spaces , very LONG truck, and very hard to make a U turn.
Overall review: Very reliable Truck, Very impressed for the First Dodge I ever owened
Amazing truck by Bob from Kalamazoo on 12/03/2009. Trim: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg. Cab 6.5-ft. Bed 4WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Plenty of power. Very reliable. 220k miles and still running strong. Sounds great.
Cons: Transmissions are known to be bad. Also, if you're going to buy one, be aware that the plenum gasket is a very common problem. There is an easy way to check if it's bad, tough. First, read the manual. If it says, "Dodge", then the plenum is bad. Joking of course. Dodge tried to fix the problem later in the model years, like 97/98, buy retarding the timing a bit to reduce heat so the gasket would not fail. This caused a loss of power and fuel economy. Second, be aware that the stock axle ratio (excluding the off-road package) is 3.55, and if you are planning a lift/larger tires, a re-gear may be necessary. Not that these all are cons, I just felt you should be aware of common problems.
Overall review: For the miles it has seen, it is a wonderful truck. I would never trade it for anything. Plenty of power, the engine lasts for what seems like forever. Fuel economy isn't great, but it's a big truck with many miles. If you are planning on buying a used truck, this is a very good truck to buy. Before purchasing, I would have someone familiar with automobiles check the truck for problems, and get a reliable history report to ensure the previous owner did not be the h*** out of it.