1996 Dodge Caravan

1996 Dodge Caravan Prices
1996 Dodge Caravan Fuel Economy
A GOOD EXAMPLE OF MURPHYS LAW (WHAT CAN HAPPEN, WILL HAPPEN) by BOBWHITE THOMSON GEORGIA on 05/25/2009. Trim: 1996 Dodge Caravan Base, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: style handling gas mileage & ride
Cons: VAN HAS HAD PROBLEMS SINCE DAY 2, HAD TO BE TOWED BACK TO DEALER FOR FAULTY CAMSHAFT SENSOR, SINCE THEN ALL SENSORS HAVE BEEN REPLACED AT MY EXPENSE. I HAVE HAD MORE PROBLEMS WITH THIS VEHICLE THAN ANY I HAVE EVER OWNED. NO WONDER CHRYSLER HAS FILED FOR BANKRUPSY. PARTIAL LIST OF PROBLEMS.ALL TIMING GEARS ,PULLEYS & BELT FLEW APART IN CHICAGO . VAN WAS DOWN FOR 5 DAYS, 950 MI. FROM HOME. HEAD GASKET REPLACED, 2 A/C COMPRESSORS, ALTERNATOR, RADIO, HEATER CORE LEAK ,A/C EVAPORATOR LEAK, IGNITION COIL, CLOCK SPRING, MULTI FUCTION SWITCH, COLLING FAN RELAY, BLOWER MOTOR RELAY & SPEED RESISTOR. FRONT STABLIZER LINKS,STEERING RACK & PINION,ALL TRANSMISSION SEALS, RR BRAKE SENSOR. 7
Overall review: MILEAGE NOW IS 163000 I AM A RETIRED AUTOMOTIVE TECK. THIS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF POOR ENGINERING & WORKMANSHIP FOR A COMPANY THAT HAS BUILT CARS AS LONG AS CHRYSLER HAS. I WOULD NOT RECOMEND IT TO ANYONE .I WOULD PROBABLY BE WALKING NOW IF I WAS NOT ABLE TO DO MY OWN REPAIRS
Very happy SE customer. by Danny from WV on 04/21/2003. Trim: 1996 Dodge Caravan Grand SE, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Smooth, quiet, carlike ride. Great handling. plenty of room for hauling.
Cons: Poor fuel mileage
Overall review: I bought my caravan 2 years ago with 141k on the odometer. The only major problem I had was engine bearing failure at 164k. I am a mechanic by trade, and this is quite rare for a 3.3 dodge engine. I think that the transmission problems people are having with these vans are more than likely related to poor service or improper service. You must use atf+3 or +4 each time these trannies are serviced. Dexron3 will destroy your transmission. I now have over 176k on this van. It still looks inovative. Very much still in style. Beats the hell out of the looks of Ford or Chevys imitations. The only other problem Ive had with mine is the crazy windshield wipers. I know what the problem is just havent fixed it. Very minor. Some people exagerate about electrical problems in these vans. Unless you spend thousands of dollars more on an import, you will not get a better quality, american made van. Thanks for reading my review.
good for the price i paid by DC Idaho on 08/29/2008. Trim: 1996 Dodge Caravan SE, Owned 4 years.
Pros: the van was easy to drive and rode very nice
Cons: problems were few and far between but when they did happen it was very costly
Overall review: I had the van for several years and bought it used. it had the transmission replaced once before i bought it. but went out agian and would have cost more than the van was worth. But I did like it enought to replace it with a newer van. I got the grand which has more room and one with the 3.8
Review ID: #531948 Is this review offensive?
Great transportation by Toby in Michigan on 05/12/2006. Trim: 1996 Dodge Caravan SE, Owned 10 years.
Pros: Has been reliable. Accommodates lots of cargo and passengers.Easy to maintain. Comfortable in long trips.
Cons: Headlights can be stronger at night.
Overall review: Been very happy with van.Owned since new in 96. Would buy again.
A great buy and very practical! by jjespencer, St. Charles, MO on 05/01/2006. Trim: 1996 Dodge Caravan LE, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I love the way this drives; just like a sedan! I have had this for 3 years, bought used, and we love it. Very few problems overall. The inside is roomy and the seats are comfortable. We drive to Toronto and back twice a year, and this has been great. It will seat 7 average people fairly comfortably, as we have had to do this a few times. I am able to bring a lot of stuff and have yet to use the roof rack. The interior has held up well, no tears or damage to the upholestry.
Cons: The paint has not held up as well. There are faded spots on the roof and hood. Leg room in the back is limited, but adequate as long as you are not over 5'8" or so. The bench seats are heavy, but fairly easy to remove. Did have problems with driver's side sliding door, but eventually it resolved itself and is working (complete mystery! did no repairs!).
Overall review: I would recommend this if you can find one in good condition that has been well-taken care of. I have heard about transmission problems, but we haven't experienced this. It has been a great buy and we have 120k on it and it is still going strong. We use every inch of space and have hauled quite a few items in it. The gas mileage in town is about 20 mph and on the highway, about 23 mph. Overall, a great van!