1994 Dodge Caravan

1994 Dodge Caravan pictures
1994 Dodge Caravan Prices
1994 Dodge Caravan Fuel Economy
Reliable old friend! by George on 04/05/2010. Trim: 1994 Dodge Caravan Base, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Our van with the the samall V6, just crossed the 145,000 mile mark. I've owned and driven it for 16 years. It has been extremely reliable, comfortable and economical. It has peppy performance and still gets almost 30 mpg on long trips over the road. It's shape is practical and our van has hauled the family on many vacations while also serving to carry lawnmowers, bulky and heavy items. Its interior has stood the test of time and still looks almost new. When we bought this van new, we knew nothing about vans, nor options to choose. It has almost none, e.g. power windows, locks, tilt wheel, cruise control, but we never felt short changed because it has always been so comfortable!
Cons: I'm sorry that Chrysler changed this body style van. I would love to be able to buy another NEW one just like mine!
Overall review: We have been very happy with our van for many years. We always maintain our cars and service them regularly, including oil changes every 3000 miles. This van has been very reliable and I still use it, mostly for work now and during inclement weather. It has never let me down!
I like my van! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/23/2008. Trim: 1994 Dodge Caravan Grand SE, Owned 8 years.
Pros: I have gotten great gas mileage with this vehicle. I love the versatility of it; I can haul lots of things or carry lots of people. I've had this van for seven years and only in the last three have I had to start replacing parts that broke. Each time it was a pretty low cost repairs, around $200 about once a year. Especially when compared to the reliability of the van and not having to make car payments the repair expense is a nice trade.
Cons: It is a large vehicle for a one person "family" however, with my lifestyle it has served me very well. Even though I don't need the room all the time it has been a huge blessing to me.
Overall review: I recommend this vehicle to those who are looking at it. I would say though that you should make sure you do your research because I hear people be surprised at how excellent my van is. I get 34 mpg hwy. Maybe it is such a good vehicle because it has been well taken care of. One of my friends was looking at consumer reports and this van made their bad list.
family mover by Steve, New York on 08/15/2002. Trim: 1994 Dodge Caravan Base, Owned 7 years.
Pros: With 133k miles, it still runs as well as could be expected. It's been mainly a trouble-free vehicle until recently when the usual problems started cropping up, but no major engine/transmission work, which these cars are noted for. Doesn't burn oil, another common problem. Recent problems include replacing the map sensor and A/C problems, including replacement of the main line for the system. Needs a new EGR valve, but by disconnecting the hose from the valve, the problem subsided. Room enough inside for a family of 5 (take out middle bench) and luggage.
Cons: The last 2 sets of tires have worn out prematurely. I got 22k out of a set of Pirellis and 28k from BF Goodrich, both after an alignment. Previously I got 45k from a name I can't remember. Rotating the tires doesn't seem to help too much. Can't complain about the 3L engine as it still doesn't leak/burn oil.
Overall review: If you can find this vehicle with relatively low mileage, I would recommend it and would not hesitate buying another used or new when this one finally goes. It has served us well.
I Would Not Advise It! by Jackal on 10/08/2007. Trim: 1994 Dodge Caravan Grand LE, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: The 3.3L has decent acceleration for a van, interior is comfy.
Cons: Where do I start?! This car has had 7 transmission jobs/replacements - $1,500-3,000 EACH time (don't ask me why we kept the thing), only approx. half of them were under warranty. It was driven easy and maintained better than most. I usually felt the transmission start slipping typically in 3rd/4th gear when getting on the highway. Then eventually you get into D and it just revs sitting still. Also the engine mounts are terrible and may fail several times, and will cause all kinds of clunking and knocking noises from the chassis. Sloppy suspension with too much body roll to be considered safe. Removing heavy rear seat everytime storage is needed is tiresome.
Overall review: Owned this vehicle since new. When I found out how common the problems above are with Caravans, saw a co-worker suffering the same grief, see the class-action lawsuits with transmissions and paint etc against Chrysler (Dodge), watch my brother suffer with his problematic Dodge Spirit and mom with a sketchy Intrepid transmission (read horror stories about the Intrepid too), and saw how ignorantly Dodge dared dealing with the problems I swore to never buy Dodge/Chrysler again. They hook people in with friendliness and cheap prices, and i've seen other domestics do the same, such as Chevy with their repeated known brake issues. I'm out. I now swear by Japanese and European vehicles, based on experience. There is a reason the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey etc cost more.
Great car for the long haul by Amy on 10/07/2005. Trim: 1994 Dodge Caravan Grand SE, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: It's a great car over-all. Even over time with lots of mileage this car keeps on being great. It's extremely reliable and wonderful on the road. Also has great gas mileage even after 180,000 miles.
Cons: Small things tend to break but nothing too important. My rear window wiper motor went out, the air tends to switch itself from panel to floor (but it's still extremely cold) and the gas level sensor went out. It's a little expensive for some parts (gas sensor is about $80 alone) but no big deal since it isn't that needed.
Overall review: I love the dependability of this car.