1999 Chevrolet Malibu

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Prices
1999 Chevrolet Malibu Fuel Economy
great work car by tony on 02/07/2010. Trim: 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Base, Owned 7 years.
Pros: dependebility in short- never left me stuck anywhere owned 7 years put 156k miles on it right now has 264k miles still going, rings just now starting to go bad just change oil every 3k miles and not race it and it keeps going did replace an alt, tires ,frt brakes 2 times ,coil packs, ac blower fan ,new muffler and cat timing chain once prob spent 2000 dollars in 7 years plus reg maint. one of the best i ever had
Cons: 2.4 engine not enough power in mountains seats not the most comfortable had a prob with rear tailights plug comes out once in awhile plug it in and go
Overall review: its been a pretty good car for me drive it 300- 400 miles a week great work car got as high as 38 miles per gallon on highway
A REAL CLUNKER by TAKEN FOR A RIDE IN LOUISIANA on 01/24/2007. Trim: 1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS, Owned 3 years.
Pros: NOT MUCH
Cons: EVERYTHING ON IT IS PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEED TO BREAK DOWN BY 60,000 MILES AND NEED REPLACING, INCLUDING THE IGNITION, ALTERNATOR, MAIN ELECTRIC PANEL AND OTHER MAJOR PARTS.
Overall review: WORST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED, WOULD NEVER BY ANOTHER ONE. I'M STUCK WITH IT NOW AFTER PAYING $6700 FOR IT TWO YEARS AGO, AND PAYING ANOTHER $3500 TO FIX IT.
Cool car for a budget person by FranMarie on 05/13/2008. Trim: 1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS, Owned 9 years.
Pros: I'm use to big cars. This is the smallest car I've owned. Good head and leg room. Easy to handle in & out of traffic. Good pick up on Freeway. No blind spots . LS has more perks that some of the new cars.
Cons: Radio is bad alot of the time. Owners manual says to use dex-cool. My engine was messed up withthat stuff. Got thick and had to replace the engine.
Overall review: Would reccommend it for a new family or single persion. Stylish
Chev poor idea by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/23/2006. Trim: 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Base, Owned 1 year.
Pros: for a 4 cly it has alot of get and go; handling is the best car I have had. Gas mileage is great.
Cons: I bought this car one year ago and it has cost alot of money to fix. It had 98,000 when I bought it and in the first three months I put in over $500.00 in repairs. It had something to do with a fuel sensor. Now it useing 6 qt of oil in about 3,000. This is first and last Chev.
Overall review: Want a good used car do not buy this one. As soon as I can I am trading it in.
GM's great...at building junk by Disappointed from Vancouver, BC on 12/23/2005. Trim: 1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS, Owned 6 years.
Pros: I've owned a '99 Bu for almost 6 years, then junked it for very little money, after hitting a curb and bending the control arm. Decided not to fix it for the reasons described in CONS. I liked the styling (except the back). The new Bu to me looks much worse with its toad-eyes of headlights. (Hint to GM: look at Mazda3...). The Bu was quite comfortable to drive, with very nice steering feel, and good acceleration from 0. The seats were mostly comfortable, the radio was very good. I also really liked very pleasant backlighting of the gauges at night, and the fact you could turn the backlighting off.
Cons: What made me junk my Bu were numerous quality problems. The first 3 years (read: warranty time) were mostly trouble-free, with only the battery dying twice on me. The brakes needed new pads every 20K miles. The A/C first two speeds quit working. The light on the "outside air" button was often jumping from outside air to recycled air, and it was making a click while doing that, so it was like a metronome sound. The usual intake manifold leak happened too. I could live with all of that, but then front bushings started squeaking loudly when braking at low speeds. Chevy dealerships in Vancouver, BC charge close to $100 CAD an hour labour, yet 3 of them could not fix it! Did charge me, though...
Overall review: CONS Cont'd. It's really not funny when you pay 150 dollars, pick up your car after they tell you "we fixed it" and then the first traffic light you brake at you hear the bushings squeaking again. But the biggest reason I junked the Bu was the following: while driving, on about 3 or 4 occasions the car just died on me. After it stopped, I was able to restart it every time. NTSCA has a note on this condition: it is caused by a malfunctioning ignition cylinder. The key in the ignition does not move, but somehow the ignition turns itself off. No warning, no nothing. You lose power brakes and steering. Barely avoided a head-on incident because of that. To summarize: owning this GM product was very enjoyable for the first three years, but then major problems occured, one of them very deadly in its potential. GM purposely, imho, designed a product to last only while under warranty, so that they could siphon your money afterwards. Now GM is facing bankruptcy, what goes around...