1996 Chevrolet Cavalier

Chevy Cavalier is a great little car! by Tom, San Diego CA on 03/07/2013. Trim: 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: My Cavalier has been great! I purchased it new and still have it in 2013. Although I never had any trouble with the head gasket, I remember there was a service recall during the first year of ownership. The dealer replaced the gasket under the warranty. Since then I've just had the usual maintenance chores, but no major problems. Besides oil changes, batteries, belts, brake pads and tires I've only had to replace the water pump and one fuel injector. When possible I do the work myself. I'm considering buying a used S10 truck just so I can get the same 2.2L engine. My Cavalier gets 30 mpg on the highway. If you keep up on the maintenance, and don't abuse it, the Cavalier is a gem.
Cons: The carpet is cheap and has worn though. There's a glitch with the check engine light that is even described in the owner's manual. If it comes on when you start the car you are supposed to reset it by turning the car off and on again. It's a minor annoyance. I should be used to it by now, but things like that bug me. It doesn't effect performance. The 1995 has an ODBI system which was replace by OBD2 in 1996. Probably not an issue in OBD2 models.
Overall review: A good car for the money.
No complaints here by Steve from Louisville on 11/04/2005. Trim: 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Fuel economy. About 30 mpg now with 130,000+ miles. In 1996, when I bought new, it was more like 35 mpg. Good power for a small car with the 2.4L. I drive through very hilly areas frequently with minimal downshifting by the transmission. Good visibility and good factory CD/stereo. Extremely dependable, in the shop only 3 times in 9 years: 2 water pumps (the first replacement was junk), 1 A/C compressor.
Cons: Engine noise seems loud to those used to imports. The ride is a little rough. A couple of rattles and squeaks in the dashboard area.
Overall review: Overall, a great little car for the money, and cheap to own. Not likely to impress anyone as you drive by, but so what?
Good Ride. by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/06/2005. Trim: 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe, Owned 1 year.
Pros: great on gas,good engine, drives nice.
Cons: rattling noise in back
Overall review: Good, Safe Car.
You can't beat the price. by David Beam on 01/22/2004. Trim: 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Good Milage. The automatic transmission mine came with is bulletproof(3spd). Excellent ride quality and handling. Very nimble. Good speakers. Solid car overall, takes a beating and keeps on going. Large wheel gap means plenty of clearance, I can just go over curbs like a truck and not scrape a thing. Great exterior styling, best in its class. Its stopping ability is WONDERFUL, people may knock have rear drum brakes, and smallish front discs, but it stops on a dime. Resale value is terrible.
Cons: The interior quality is subpar. Squeaks, rattle, little pieces break off. Things did start breaking after 120k miles. Base engine is a little weak when mated with the 3spd auto. Did I say squeaks? And rattles? Resale value is terrible.
Overall review: I purchased my car 2 years ago for $3000... I got a stylish, decently performing coupe that gets me from point a to point b, and it can take a beating along the way. Trust me, this is coming from a teenager... it CAN take a beating. Curbs, dirt roads, poor roads. I laugh at them. Some people complain about the ride quality... I have to wonder if they are talking about the same car I am. Much better ride quality then a Civic of the same year. Even now, with 120k+ miles on it, the ORIGINAL suspension treats potholes and speedbumps like they aren't there. All in all, for the price, you can't beat it. If you had 3000 to spend on a civic, you'd end up with a 92 200k mile piece of junk. Its reliablity is subpar, but for the price, its a step up.
The Real Reliable by An MSN Autos Consumer on 09/06/2003. Trim: 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe, Owned 1 year.
Pros: 160,000+ miles and counting. no matter what "other" people tell you this car is a good car. My car has had one head replaced, but that is all! Drives like new and mine is not well taken care of.
Cons: Interior is a little too creaky but besides that what does it matter... it is just a cavalier. You can buy them for really cheap and anything to replace is cheap as well no matter what people tell you.
Overall review: I would recommend a cavalier to anybody who needs a reliable car from a reliable source. If you want a fast car then buy a camaro, and if you want a family sedan then buy an impala, but for a car in between then buy a cavalier