1995 Chevrolet Cavalier

My Review- 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier 2Door by JayDubya from River Forest, IL on 02/22/2010. Trim: 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Great on gas. Decent handling and comfort for a small car.
Cons: 3 speed automatic trans not very durable. Had to replace trans at 100k miles.
Overall review: I bought this car brand new in September 1995. It was a good runner until the trans went out on me at 100,000 miles in August 2002. After I got the trans replaced it ran pretty good for me. During my time with it I did replace the alternator once and the starter twice. I sold it to my sister in April 2003 with 105,000 miles on it. During her time with it she did have the trans worked on at around 175,000 miles. She also had to replace the starter during her time with the car. She drove it until August 2008 with 207,000 on it when the engine went out on it. It was an ok vehicle for the time that my sister and I had it.
Think twice before you purchase!! by Kathy on 11/23/2007. Trim: 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Price, gas milage
Cons: I think I spent more money on repairs for this car than I did on the car itself. Once I fixed one thing, something else broke. I did not commute or drive the car without care, and it just seemed to fall apart on me. And, apparently very easy to break into without an alarm system. Nothing against Chevy, just not a very good car from suspension to engine.
Overall review: Do not buy this car unless it is all you can afford! Or if you are a mechanic!!
Review ID: #519126 Is this review offensive?
It's a good car, but watch the head gasket by Thomas in BC, Canada on 06/12/2006. Trim: 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan, Owned 1 year.
Pros: This car drives extremely well. The interior is cheap but cozy, and controls are conveniently placed. The electricals, minus the back lights, have no problems. Plus, it's cheap on gas.
Cons: Head gaskets. I read all about the issues with these cars (specifically 2.2 engines, I believe) and their head gaskets and bought the car anyway. The head gasket had been repaired previously, but it went again about 2 months after I bought the car. If you're knowledgeable in mechanics this car will do you fine because it's simple and cheap to fix; parts wise. If you don't, you're going to be dealing with hefty bills. As well as the head gasket, I have or need to fix my water pump, transmission (due to a shotty rebuilding job), my egr or ecg valve... some valve starting with e that has to do with the exaust, my front brake pads, and my back light sockets.
Overall review: Overall, I like the car, but it's got problems. If you know even a bit about mechanics you'll be fine. If you don't, you're going to pay a lot to fix it, because these cars need a lot of fixing. Be careful about the head gaskets... check the coolant before you buy the car to see if there's oil in it. If the coolant has a brown tint to it, don't buy the car. The head gasket on my car cost me $2,300 canadian, but it could've cost me less had I looked around more. Regardless, if there's a 2.2 engine if the car you're looking to buy, be aware of the head gasket.
The Best Used American Made Vehicle! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 03/15/2006. Trim: 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan, Owned 10 years.
Pros: I did my research back before I bought this vehicle, it was going to be my first new to me car. I bought it used in 1996, and I kept up the routine maintenance on it and it has always been very dependable. I think 1995 was a great year for the cavaliers. I have over 176K on it and it still drives great both in traffic and on the highways!! A/C/ Heating/ Radio/speakers/easy access to engine to change spark plugs yourself - all nice!!
Cons: Small for rearfacing convertible carseats for tall drivers who like the seat fully back, but manageable.
Overall review: Highly reccomend it! Reliable used Vehicle.
Stay away at all costs!!! by Candace from Indiana on 02/27/2006. Trim: 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I was able to fit seven people in this car.
Cons: Mostly just the engine
Overall review: So much went wrong in the short time that I owned this car. The muffler fell off. The alternator died. The battery had to be replaced twice. The car broke down everywhere. It was just a bad car all around