1999 Saturn SL

Beat it and it will still Beat by sufrinos on 02/16/2012. Trim: 1999 Saturn SL1, Owned 3 years.
Pros: from an economic stand point. I rate this car a 9. These cars are very easy to fix, I get 31 MPG Ave, has good acceleration, easy to handle, descent interior spacing, nice for tight spacing and easy squeezing into spots, and can take a little beating without causing harm. I have to say that I did go with 1/2 oil in my car for about 300 miles, I'll talk about that more on cons later. Plus, I purchased the car that had radiator & then later water pump problems with the car temp hitting red at times. I pushed it's limits and a bit careless. I maintenance the oil, water, and air intake filter clean and the car is great with good smog reports, especially after the beating that it first took.
Cons: There's something with the oil that the engine tends to eat up. Meaning that you would have to maintain the levels every 3k miles or so to make sure your oil doesn't get too low. I've heard different reasons to this from keeping your engine working well to limiting the amount of oil discarded to help save the environment. Regardless of what it is, just make sure the levels are good every so often. Besides that, not much to say but maybe it's not a full size royal interior spacing, car is narrow and not meant for a fat man of 300lbs, ... that's it I guess.
Overall review: My car is stick. So the car is dependable, with good take off acceleration, 380mi / 12 gal, easy changing parts in fraction of the time compared to other vehicles, descent room interior, car is sleek and small so it's easy to squeeze into tight spaces and cutting people off, and can take a small beating so it's good for teenagers. I've had many people comment and suggest a car like mine for themselves. People are amazed on what this car has done for me. If the car is in good condition, get it.
Practical, reliable, and affordable. by Brian from Estes Park, Colorado on 01/17/2012. Trim: 1999 Saturn SL2, Owned 10 years.
Pros: Good accelleration, strong and predictable brakes w/ABS. Traction Control has saved my life!! Performs surprisingly well in the harsh winters here in the Colorado mountains w/ snow tires. Very reliable, GREAT GAS MILEAGE, averaged 42mpg driving down to Sante Fe, consistently gets 30mpg, even in winter/city driving. Good looks, love the rear spoiler, very shiney paint, even after 14 years! easy to use controls, adequate interior space for 4 adults, easy and cheap to service, leather seats nice, but cold! Easy to find cheap tires on 15" alloys. Good overall visibility. Nice to have fiberglass panels, doesn't dent, saved hundreds on potential repairs to panels!!! Cheap to license and insure.
Cons: NOISEY!! Lots of road noise, engine is harsh, buzzes everywhere!! Auto transmission blew a hole through itself at 157,000 miles on freeway. The sunroof broke twice, made with cheap plastic rails that break easily. Oxygen sensor goes out every 3 years or so. Cheap interior plastics, very light doors, trunk doesn't stay open anymore!!! Falls and hits your head!!! Absolutely TERRIBLE stock stereo sound quality, its was embarrasing... Center console design is rather unorthodox, pine needles and crud builds up in crevices below windsheild and rear window. Tubes that drain water from around sunroof block up, and water saturates the ceiling of the car if you don't keep them clear.
Overall review: Overall, this is a solid car that has recieved more than its fair share of abuse. It's survived two highschool drivers, several harsh winters, and even gone up a few 4x4 trails (dont' tell the folks). It just keeps going and going, even with 170,000+ miles on it. We've owned this car since 2002 and the whole family loves it. Dad commuted with it to work 20 miles a day for 8 years, then passed it down to me. I drove it 25 miles a day round trip to school for 3 years. When the tranny blew, we hated to see it go, so we replaced the transmission for $1150 total and passed it on to my sister, who now drives it 11 miles to school everyday. I would highly recommend this car to someone whose looking for practicality, reliablilty, and affordibility.
Saturn: One dependable car! by shannon, FL on 09/14/2005. Trim: 1999 Saturn SL1, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Overall, My saturn has been a very dependable car. Its also a very comfortable ride. Roomy inside with lots of trunk space. Very cold AC, great on gas and good for long road trips. One of the most dependable cars Ive ever owned.
Cons: Acceleration is slow. Ive had a small oil leak for a couple of years now, but has'nt caused any problems yet. In five years, I have had to replace: Water pump, serpintine belt, brakes and battery; which isnt bad for 5 years. At 140,000 miles my main computer (aka brainbox) is going out, so ill be trading it in this week.
Overall review: Great, dependable car. I would highly reccommend, especially if your on a budget. ALOT for the money.
a great basic car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 09/19/2004. Trim: 1999 Saturn SL, Owned 3 years.
Pros: a great basic car whic gets 34 mpg in town and up to 44 mpg on the highway. My Saturn dealer is great to work with and has been very flexible in getting my car fixed since they are 200 miles from my house.
Cons: I have had two problems with pollution control stuff andhave had to bring it to the dealer for both. One was an oxygen sensor and one was some sort of pump. My extended warrantee paid for both.
Overall review: excellent basic car.
I love my car! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/27/2004. Trim: 1999 Saturn SL1, Owned 5 years.
Pros: I've had mine for 5 years and have only had to do normal maintenance to it. It drives well in the snow (which is important in my neck of the woods). It has a sufficient amount of get up and go for the freeway and it maneuvers well on narrow city streets. I'm very happy with the car and the service at the dealership.
Cons: Nothing.
Overall review: I love my car!