1999 Saab 9-3

Euro Convertible Bargain! by Michael on 02/06/2012. Trim: 1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Bought at 9 yrs & 114K as a more economical alternative to my Silverado. 3.5 yrs and 50K later the only repair was a water pump and replacing most of the light bulbs. The car gets 24-25 mpg commuting on congested Atlanta roads, and up to 33 mpg on the open road. Quality is great, the car is quick, responsive, handles well and is a blast to drive, especially top down. Saab is one of the few compact convertibles with a stick, which I wanted. The uniqueness makes it stand out from BMW's and other European convertibles.
Cons: The only negatives I have experienced are the cars appetite for headlights due to the daytime running lights being on whenever the car is running, and the SID Saab Information Display pixels have begun going out so I don't get a full readout on the display. Overall not bad for a premium convertible purchased with over 100K miles for under $5,000!
Overall review: A friend of mine who is a lifelong GM mechanic was skeptical of the car when I purchased it. He is now in the market for one of his own! I cannot recommend Saab strongly enough. A family friend who worked for Saab had one with over 475,000 miles and the engine/transmission had never been touched in it.
Saab 9-3 Warnings by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/01/2011. Trim: 1999 Saab 9-3 5-Door, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The individuality of Saabs.
Cons: I LOVE Saabs and have owned 2 of them, but be prepared for constant (and expensive) problems. Having owned two 9-3's, it was very evident that the problems were a pattern, because the same problems occurred in both of my cars. I still have a sentimental attachment to Saabs, but am smart enough to not buy another one. The last Saab 9-3 that I bought had only 60,000 miles, but I spent an additional $5,000 within 3 years. Unfortunately, they are just too expensive to maintain, even if you take great care of them.
Overall review: Perhaps the newest models are better than the ones that I have previously owned, but based on my experience, I want to recommend Saabs, but I unfortunately cannot. Unless you have an endless budget for repairs, this is not the car for you.
The Saab that cured my Saab addiction by kaydubya on 03/06/2014. Trim: 1999 Saab 9-3 SE 5-Door HOT, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: Styling, handling, performance, great sound system. A lot of used car for the money compared to others in its class because of depreciation.
Cons: Flimsy switches and controls, poor driving position, clear coat started peeling shortly after purchase, headlight bulbs and relay needed frequent replacement, windows repeatedly fall down into doors requiring new window regulator units to repair, needed head gasket repair twice during my ownership, waterpump had to be replaced twice. The interior driving position is wack. Sound system was great, until speakers blew. AC always struggled to cool the interior on hot days, pixels on information system required frequent repair. Headlight relay blew frequently. There was ALWAYS something wrong with this car! If I was not mechanically inclined, I would have got rid of it long before I did.
Overall review: I have owned two Saabs in my lifetime, an '87 900S, and the last one being a '99 9-3SE, the reason I haven't bought any more Saabs. The '99 9-3, was promising when I first purchased it with only 32k miles, but soon it became evident that this was not the same Saab as the 900S. One of the worst cars I have ever owned, which include Fiats and Alfas. It seems like the driver's seat is positioned a little left of where it should be. The switches, knobs and inside door handles feel flimsy and tend to break. The whole time I owned it (7yrs), I was constantly battling the windows falling into the doors, requiring new power window lift mechanisms to repair, as the plastic lift on the window regulator tended to break frequently. I feel this should have been a GM recall. Each window lift (4dr car) was replaced at some time, two of them twice, and the drivers door three times! I really became quite efficient at replacing them, and my record time from teardown to repaired was down to about 30mins!
My Saab: Such a Disappointment by Suze from Annapolis on 07/13/2007. Trim: 1999 Saab 9-3 5-Door, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I love the look of this Saab. The seats are extremely comfortable; this is the only car I've owned where I have no neck or shoulder pain after driving long distances. When it's running, it drives great and handles well. Good gas mileage; love the 17 gallon gas tank!
Cons: Since buying this Saab, I have had problem after problem. It's extremely expensive to repair. My mechanics must love me because it costs at least $500 every time I bring it in. Something has gone wrong every month or two since I bought it. This time, it's the fuel pump - which will cost $900 because it's in the world's most inconvenient spot (like every other part in this car). Beyond that, the clutch is very tricky; it's hard to let others drive the car. It's an extremely rough ride; you will feel every bump. AC ineffective. Antennae is shoddy. The paint peeled off my hood almost immediately after I bought it (used). Expensive to insure.
Overall review: My previous car was a 1991 900S, so I thought I was getting an upgrade. Instead, I've found myself way deeper in debt and in need of a new car. I will never buy another Saab. If I did, my husband would surely disown me. Unless you have the money to maintain this vehicle, you would be much better off with a Honda or Ford. Even my Saab mechanic told me that. Not a good sign. Don't buy this car!!!
Love it or Hate it. by Pav on 04/27/2006. Trim: 1999 Saab 9-3 5-Door, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Excellent to drive. Road handling is terrific. Good MPG for the power it delivers. HUGE, I mean Huge Trunck space. I don't think any other car in it's class has nearly as much space as this one has.
Cons: noticeable turbo lag. hard ride. very weak cup holder for driver side . No passenger or rear seat cup holders. Cheap interiors. extremely poor CD player (a minor scratch on a CD will cause it to be rejected by the player). regular petty problems that irritate you.
Overall review: If you enjoy driving more than the other aesthetics (like exterior looks, accessories & maintenance free) then this is the car for you. Else please stay away from this car & please do not comment on those driving this.