1999 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Great Car, Solid Value, Will buy E-Class again by An MSN Autos Consumer on 09/15/2010. Trim: 1999 Mercedes-Benz E430, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Quiet (only S Class and Lexus LS rated quieter), powerful, effortlessly drives like a dream, 30mpg hwy. Car is well built but not that complicated - you'd be surprised how many things you can do do yourself. Benzworld dot org has a very active and excellent forum on this model (w210). Extremely thorough and well organized.
Cons: Car does not handle like a BMW - good road feel but suspension is soft - perfect for Hwy driving, which is what I needed and a factor in my purchase of this car. Not as much fun on twisty roads. Maintenance costs are higher than other cars - find a good independent mechanic or do it yourself.
Overall review: Great car as most others have already posted. Now is a great time to get an older e430. Pick one up with around 100k on the odometer for about $8000 privately, and you've got 150-200k miles to go. They have depreciated much and are often cheaper than the less powered e320 because people are afraid of fuel costs. Hwy mileage is virtually the same, so don't let 275 horsepower fool you, the car is very fuel efficient. Had mine 64K so far (169k on car) and things have been great .I have spent approx $600 per 10k on maintenance, repairs, tires, oil changes (I pay to have it all done). Adding depreciation, I'm spending a total of $1300 per 10k miles for everything. That's cheaper than a new Accord I figure, and this car is better in most, if not all, respects. Be sure to do a car fax and get maintenance records as there are neglected examples out there. I like to buy from people in neighborhoods I cant afford - they tend to service their cars well.
One of the best Benz's ever made by Branden Tampa,Fl on 08/19/2013. Trim: 1999 Mercedes-Benz E430, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: this Mercedes is one of the best ones ever made and truly one of the last hand built Benz's the car has amazing acceleration ride control and just a pleasure to drive and will out perform eight of the 10 cars on the road. no major problems 13 years later
Cons: None
Overall review: I would buy this car over all of the luxury models and its class I think it was one of the best ones built and I've had my well over 13 years and it still runs like the day I bought it
A Solid Vehicle and a Great Value by An MSN Autos Consumer on 11/28/2012. Trim: 1999 Mercedes-Benz E320, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I like the solid feeling and especially how it grips the road. The 3.2 liter does have some pep to it and it will continue to pull hard pass 80mph. Mileage is where it wins big in my opinion. I have gotten as much as 32 miles to the gallon when fully tuned up with and an amsoil oil change but only on the open road. It gets about 20-22 in the city.
Cons: Its a mercedes benz. Find a good indy Benz mechanic and save big on dealer costs. I do alot of the little stuff, fluid changes changing out lights, fuses etc some on now writing checks all the time. I buy my parts on line or at the dealer and have my indy mechanic install them for me. Saved me a lot money.
Overall review: I love the car. Its solid with 8 air bags and 10 speaker Bose system is well,.. just awseome. Mine has 170,000 plus and still drives extremely well and still feels tight. I feel safe in this car with luxury and comfort thrown in, and so does my family.
Feel the Ultimate Love! by Astroboy on 04/16/2008. Trim: 1999 Mercedes-Benz E55, Owned 9 years.
Pros: I *love* the E55's stealth quality. It looks like any other boring 4-door sedan to that kid in a Mustang next to you at the stoplight - until he sees the quickly disappearing tail lights as you hit 45 in about 3 seconds. My kids *love* when I gun it (naturally on open road under superior conditions for < 1/4 mile - up to about 55-60 - the car is SAFE to drive like this) - they call it hyperspeed! First car I ever had that I ENJOY driving every single day, for the past 9 years. The car is SOLID, and when lovingly cared for returns the love. I've even beaten mine up some and STILL get the love.
Cons: First time getting replacement HiD lightbulb @ dealer - $250!!!! I did it on my on the 2nd time, but still $125. Getting < 15K miles on the original Michelin Z-rated tires - I try to stretch it out to 25K with Pirellis now. It is hard to go to the mechanic (never again to the dealer, but a MUST to go to a Mercedes-only shop if you can find one) and always write a $1,000 check. My wife doesn't like how jumpy the car is - but she *is* a lead foot from NJ and, well, neither of those are really cons now that I think about it!
Overall review: When I was researching cars in the summer of 1999, I'd learned about the E55. I was already convinced after driving a Saab 9000 sedan that a Euro 4-door was what I would get, since kid #2 had just arrived. I could NOT find a BMW 540i that I lusted after - really never looked @ the M5 because it was such a MONSTER. And I'm not really a "car guy." But, I went to the local Benz dealer just to try one on - and I was probably hoping to look @ the E430. But I noticed this Silver beauty in the arrival lot. It had just arrived from Canada into Seattle; it had 6K miles on it after 4 months with the original owner. His wife didn't like it either (see my cons above) so he got rid of it. Lucky for me - I negotiated price and didn't have to pay Luxury tax. I still spent 2x my budget, but this car will last me for 4x any other would. Hope to enjoy the day when it flips 500K - just passed 100K earlier this year and the car is like it was 9 years ago! High price, but Higher intrinsic value IMHO.
Poor quality vehicle by An MSN Autos Consumer on 03/30/2004. Trim: 1999 Mercedes-Benz E320, Owned 5 years.
Pros: It is prestigious
Cons: Had to replace engine, rings never seated, done under warranty....oil pan leaked afterward and dealer changed 400 to fix cause it just went out of warranty. Only 40,000 miles. Both rear electric windows have broken twice...one under warranty, the second time...fixed for another 400 ea. This is second mercedes with rear window problelms....never will buy again.
Overall review: Dont buy...quality is POOR&lt; POOR &lt; POOR