1999 Mazda Protege

Great commuter by Steven G on 03/16/2010. Trim: 1999 Mazda Protege LX, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Very economic, Great purchase price, Extremely fun to drive, Braking and handling is phenomenal. It just feels like me!
Cons: A little underpowered, acceleration is weak. Powerlocks don't work properly, No aftermarket intake available for the 1.6L model.
Overall review: I love this little car, for being 10 years old, the car looks GREAT! I have an intake issue and haven't been able to fix the problem because I'd need an original replacement, and those are expensive. They don't make aftermarket intakes for the 1.6L. The car has issues with the pwr door locks, but hey, the car is over 10 yrs old, I didn't really expect anything better. I've gotten up to 40 mpg when driving through California, at sea level. Up in Utah, it gets about 35 avg mpg. If you're looking to buy a car like this, look for the 1.8L, you'd like that one much better. But I don't regret my decision one bit, I've had it now for 6 months, and not a single major problem that needs repair. Then again, I haven't had a chance to try out the A/C.
Small & Mighty by Little Red from Charlottetown on 09/30/2009. Trim: 1999 Mazda Protege LX, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It's small and mighty with lots of pepp.
Cons: It's a '99 vehicle and I want it to be an '09...time for me to upgrade to newer!
Overall review: This is a great car and even with a sunroof!! It's semi-sporty and could have potential as a fixer-upper car for the right person!
Can be beat at the original price. by An MSN Autos Consumer on 05/29/2008. Trim: 1999 Mazda Protege ES, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Car still runs like a new car and I have about 170K on it. The fabric used for the seats show no wear at all. Amazing for a car this old. Car hugs the road and it has always been fun to drive. Would buy another one if they still made them. Tried the mazda 3 and did not like it.
Cons: Some would say it needs more power but then it would not get the great mileage. This car was perfect for the price range it sold in.
Overall review: Like I said before if they still made it I would buy a new one.
"As Green As A Gasoline Car Can Get" almost by Lynne on 02/28/2008. Trim: 1999 Mazda Protege DX, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Great gas mileage - I average 37mpg highway and 32 mpg daily driving - I bought the car with 70K miles and now has 155K. Still running great. Looking for another one for my spouse, talked with the dealer who sold me the Protege, he said, "with the current mileage and condition it was in, he could still sell it for what I gave two and a half years ago."
Cons: I wish I had cruise control, power windows/locks. I was aware of this fact when I bought it, but thought I wouldn't miss it. I was looking for gas mileage and cost of vehicle. Nothing else mattered at the time.
Overall review: It's a great car. Looks good too.
Best small car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 06/07/2007. Trim: 1999 Mazda Protege ES, Owned 8 years.
Pros: 8 years old and still drives like a new car. Rock solid quality.
Cons: None.
Overall review: Love it and keep it!
Review ID: #512019 Is this review offensive?