1999 Kia Sephia

1999 Kia Sephia Prices
1999 Kia Sephia Fuel Economy
The Best Choice by Dave from MI on 10/07/2008. Trim: 1999 Kia Sephia Base, Owned 8 years.
Pros: It is very reliable.No problems of any kind.Bought this car used in 2000,and with 105000 miles, still going strong
Cons: Seats need to be a little more cushioned
Overall review: No regrets. The most reliable used vehicle ever purchased.
Low cost marathon performer. by Liberty Process Service Pittsburgh. on 06/27/2007. Trim: 1999 Kia Sephia Base, Owned 8 years.
Pros: My recently deceased Sephia far outstripped EPA mileage estimates even though I whipped it on the freeway. For a "cheap" car, it was very reliable and had a better sound system than most factory rigs I've experienced. At almost 300K it was still going strong (and with the original clutch) until it was killed in an off-roading mishap. (I know it's not an off-road vehicle: it was a mishap.) 8 years, 12 months and 297000 miles cost one exhaust system, 2 axles, 1 water pump, 1 alternator and assorted consumables like brakes and tires.
Cons: As others have mentioned, the brakes are vexing. You get about 15K before the rotors warp. (You'll get less. I don't use the brakes much) Ummm. Yeah. That's about my biggest complaint, coupled with the fact that I had to send a canoe to Asia for parts.
Overall review: I got my Sephia new. It was our 2nd car for a while, then became the main family car and finally my work ride. I drive a lot for work and went through a long line of cheap used cars, not wanting to spend much on something I'd soon wear out. At a little over 100K, I decided to move the Kia into my work car slot since in my view it had evolved into a cheap used car at that point. Well, almost 200K MORE of cruising hilly Western Pennsylvania area roads took essentially no toll on this car. Maintenance and repairs were very minimal and my combined rural/city/suburban/freeway driving yielded mileage in the mid-high 30s. Long freeway runs (70-75mph on PA hills) got about 40MPG. I found this astonishing since the EPA number is 31, I think. I have every reason to believe that at 300K this car had a lot of life left until I inadvertantly killed it.
Kia-it's a thorn in my side by JLW-Sp.Fk, Ut on 11/23/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sephia Base, Owned 5 years.
Pros: It gets good gas mileage, and the heater is wonderful during the winter.
Cons: The dash has warped, the front seats have torn, the paint is starting to peel at the bottom. During the winter, I have a hard time starting it. I ususally have to try 3 or 4 times before it will turn over. Had to have a complete brake job at 7,000 miles.
Overall review: I would not recommend a Kia to anyone. My Kia has been nothing but a thorn in my side since I bought it in April of 1999.
Good car bad transmission by Mr. C from California on 10/11/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sephia LS, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: The seats are comfortable and has plunty of power. Good handling. Large trunk space. plunty of leg room.
Cons: The transmission for this model seems to go out at lower milage than most cars... Mine went out at just over 50,000 miles.
Overall review: Over all it is a good vehical. I was glad I payed what I did for it. The transmission cost me $1400 for a rebuilt. That brought me up to the value of the car. If I had payed more for the car I might have been upset with the overall cost.
Korean Lemon by An MSN Autos Consumer on 07/31/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sephia Base, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Nothing.
Cons: Almost everything.
Overall review: Poor quality.