1999 Kia Sportage

My First New Car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/09/2008. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned 9 years.
Pros: I drove my Sportage off the dealer lot with 96 miles on it now almost 8 years later and 130000 mile I still love my car
Cons: The window get scratched easily when taking off and on
Overall review: I love my Sportage
Reliable SUV by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/22/2005. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 6 years.
Pros: This has been a very reliable vehicle for me.
Cons: I have had trouble with the 4 wheel drive ever since I got it. Now that it is out of warranty, I am going to have to foot the bill on my own. The 4 wheel drive is not working again.
Overall review: I think this a good reliable SUV. Repair costs so far have been minimal.
If buying used check out the maintenance history. by wish I bought something else. New Hampshire on 03/13/2005. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: This vehicle is cute and fun to drive. It handles well for a suv. I have 105000 miles on mine and engine is still strong.
Cons: This vehicle has been in and out of the shop 5 times for 4 wheel drive not working and still is not working, something in the front end with the hubs. I feel this is a problem that cannot be permanently fixed and the dealers are making a killing off of this problem
Overall review: If you are lucky enough to get one without the 4 wheel drive problems you have a good car.
high maintenance by An MSN Autos Consumer on 03/03/2009. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: When the 4 wheel drive system is working it works very well
Cons: Four wheel drive system is vacume operated. I had have the front knuckle kit replaced four times because the vacume sealed failed after about 6 months. Finally I Had manuale lock -outs installed. Now the system is dependable bu a pain in the neck. Kia would not replace the system on warranty or recall. Trepairs were $500 each time. The transfer case failed and had to be replaced at a cost of $750.
Overall review: Make sure you have this vehicle chacked by a mechanic that is familar with this system before buying it.
Great car for very little money. by Joe from Maine on 02/28/2008. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I just got it last weekend from a wholesale lot for $1400, problems were listed on the sticker and very easy to fix. i found the 4 wheel drive didn't work but on closer inspection noticed the vacuum hoses going to the front wheels needed to be replaced, another easy fix. Very little rust anywhere on the car. the mechanic working on the brakes said the undercarage looked almost new. The interior is in great shape and so far i really like the car alot.
Cons: the windows are very slow.
Overall review: overall, well I only paid $1400 for it so for the money I got a really great car.
Good travel car for short people by Pat from Texas on 11/23/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 2WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: It still runs well with over 130000 miles. It will cruise at 70 or 75 very well
Cons: no pick up goes from "0" to "60" in about 10 minutes
Overall review: good car for intown. great car for a teenager. they will not race
excellent suv by gramma from Illinois on 07/16/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: roomy-yet, compact easy to drive and manerver
Cons: shocks are not as good as other cars--bumpy ride not a long distance car for travel
Overall review: very pleased with performance, maintenance, and service
gmc jimmy by bullwhip chiacgo on 10/12/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Cons: Ithink this vehicle needs to be more put in a garbage can because there are no do it your self repair book or parts in store for this vehicle over all performents of this vehicle is none but the style is ok but the repair part suck because i like repairing my owe vehicle i am sorry i got one.
Overall review: it sucks
The cheap SUV by A CarPoint Consumer on 05/04/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Overall review: The car is good but the maitnence people are a problem. I have a hard time getting them to do all the work at a fair price.
Review ID: #271909 Is this review offensive?
KIA & Enron... Business Partners? by ShortyAcapulco, Cockeysville MD on 02/27/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: It looks really pretty when I wash it.
Cons: A week after I wash it, my wheels are pitch black from brake dust. Turning corners in anything but perfect weather is DEADLY! Engine problems, brake problems... the thing has even cut out on me in the middle of traffic! All of my friends who are thinking about getting a KIA hear the same advice from me... "DON'T! I twill KILL you!"
Overall review: I imagine my death being brought about because of the piece of crap car. Not to mention the fact that anytime I am doing over 40, not only can I not hear because the wind-noise is so bad, but if it happens to be a breezy day outside, I have to hold on for dear life to keep from being pushed off the road!!!
not bad by New Stanton, PA on 12/30/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: cute, handles nice, fun to drive, roomy enough for family of 4
Cons: would be nice to have a little more power, but I realized it was 4 cyl when purchased, can't get into rear hatch without key, front rims always dirty, didn't have too many repair problems yet-paint on wheel well trim repainted-replaced exhaust system(don't they all wear out?)-updated wiring on trans.-seems trans doesn't always want to shift into OD(I could be very dissatisfied if trans is going bad at 28000 mi)
Overall review: I love driving my sportage. as long as I don't have problems like some of the others I'll be happy
Granny Mobile by LaNena from Chicago, Il. on 07/25/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It is roomy considering its appearance. The Kia's do have one of the best waranties around.
Cons: This vehicle has no power what so ever. It drives smooth but, it has too much body for it's engine size. The 4 wheel drive is good for the winter but, because of the size and weakness of the vehicle itself it does not work properly.
Overall review: I would never buy another Kia, Sportage again.
DON'T BUY THIS LEMON!!! by LEISA FROM CHICAGO on 07/20/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: THE STYLE AND THE COMFORT
Cons: THIS CAR HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP MORE TIMES THAN A USED CAR. IT WAS PURCHASED AS A NEW CAR. I HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY POWER WINDOWS,DEFROSTER,THE STARTER, ENGINE PROBLEMS AND THE BATTERY. IT'S SUPPOSED TO HAVE 4WD NOT! LAST WINTER I GOT STUCK IN THE SNOW ALMOST EVERYDAY,COMING OUT AND IN MY DRIVEWAY.
Overall review: I WOULD'NT RECOMMEND THIS CAR TO MY WORST ENEMY. IT'S NOT WORTH THE MONEY.
Wish it was better by Scared in Kentucky on 05/30/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It is a very good car as far as appearance- interior and exterior
Cons: This vehicle has handling problems- fishtails at low speeds and acts like it is going to roll over. Had a Kia Mechanic tell me he felt all of the same sensations I feel when it rains- but when I picked the car up- he there was nothing wrong with the car- that is the way Kia Sportages drive.
Overall review: I loved this car- I wish that none of the above problems existed- I now am going to have to trade it in due to the fact I do not feel safe nor do I feel safe putting my child in it. If it did not have the suspension/shock/fishtailing problems, it would be an impeccable car.
Avoid at all costs. by Cavalry from Massachusetts on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: sometimes it runs
Cons: In the shop for different problems almost as often as it is on the road. There remains very few parts on the vehicle which haven't needed to be replaced.
Overall review: The worst vehicle you could decide to buy. Although Kia may appear to be an inexpensive 4wd vehicle, you definitely DONT get what you pay (and pay) for. Purchased new, this vehicle devalues by 50% each year. After the first year, the warranty needed to be used to replace "rotting" (not rusting) wires. Bad parts and worse workmanship make this vehicle one to avoid at all costs.
Red-Headed SUV by OPIE from Golden, Colorado on 03/13/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I live in Rocky Mtns., for two wheel drive it will do well with snow tires in winter, as well as some four wheel drive that I have seen. It will go most four wheel places will (in Colorado).
Cons: Underpowered!!!!!!!!!!
Overall review: Great first SUV for high school kids or college. Easy to own and operate, for the most part.
the best out of the smallest suv by joey on 03/02/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Overall review: great truck
good car to own by A CarPoint Consumer on 02/28/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: confortable, reliable, doesn't handle like a truck like most SUVs.
Cons: the check engine light came on after one year from purchase.
Overall review: good little suv.
HORRIBLE by Nikki on 02/21/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Price and it looks nice
Cons: Tends to not start sometimes, then I take it to the shop and they say nothings wrong.
Overall review: I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER KIA!!! I AM CONSIDERING THE LEMON LAW ON THIS ONE.
Great College Vehicle by bean from Massachusetts on 02/20/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: This car is a good, reliable vehicle. I use it for travelling back and forth to college with all of my belongings and have never had a problem.
good small 4wd by daily driver fron northern plains on 04/19/2013. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: easy to manuever into parking spots, reliable,comfortable 4-wheel drive very good in snow
Cons: affected by winds on highway roof finish sun faded quickly
Overall review: very nice vehicle for the money
Review ID: #571967 Is this review offensive?
My baby by vegas on 05/16/2007. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Its comfortable and despite it's age, runs well.
Cons: It's getting to be too old...which means more maintenance problems.
Overall review: I love it. It's all I have.
Get the cups out for the amt of lemonade you'll squeeze out of this lemon. by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/31/2006. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Gas mileage and nothing else.
Cons: Where do I start...let's just say I would have actual nightmares of the thought of having to drive this thing out in the snow. I've had numerous occasions where I've gotten in near accidents when it snowed because the 4wd never engaged. I actually did a 360 in a parking lot when I tried to drive out. I couldn't even move without sliding when I was accelerating from a stoplight- there are times when I couldn't move at all. Forget about getting up my driveway. In the wind, I've been blown all over the road which is obviously very dangerous when you have a semi in the next lane going 90 mph. (continued below)
Overall review: The check engine light is always on. A loud grinding noise developed whenever I hit the gas- I thought the car would explode. The pick up is horrendous. I actually timed it and it took me close to 3 minutes just to hit 60 mph. Folding down the back seats are a complete chore since you have to adjust the front seats just to get the back seats completely down which means I have to sit uncomfortably driving just to haul anything in the back with the back seats down. The cup holders are in the most inconvenient of places- forget about having a cold drink in conjunction with having the heater on. Get used to drinking hot Cokes. You can't open up the back without a key which is inconvenient. Forget going over 60mph (if you can make it there) since you'll feel the car vibrating so much since it can't take it at that speed and the wind noise is just annoying. Electrical problems up the ying yang with slow moving windows and such. Do yourself a favor and DON'T buy this unsafe piece of junk!!
The Little SUV That Could! by Angepac on 03/24/2005. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I drive this car 350 miles a day without problems (PA to NY). Great on highway mileage. Scary to drive on windy days. I've literally been pushed into another lane by high winds. Luckily there were no cars next to me when it happened. When a semi is coming up from the rear a pull to the side because the wind it creates easily pushes the car around like a toy.
Cons: Not everyone knows how to fix them.I had new tires put on at Firestone and the car was aligned.The car started going to the right.Took it back and they stated that they had not aligned it correctly the first time.After their 2nd attempt the car continued to move to the right.Took it to a local mechanic and he discovered that the alignment was off over 15 degrees!!!Never had a problem after it was corrected.I also took the car to the dealer stating that their was a rattling noise in the rear of the car.They checked and said that they could not find where it was coming from.I took it back to the local mechanic and he found that the heat shield was loose.He corrected it and no more noise!
Overall review: Find the right mechanic and your car will last forever. If you're good with your hands and tools you can make many of the repairs yourself. (Ex.- changing the air filter, oil, etc.)
Reliable / Inexpensive / Fun SUV by roll on 08/18/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Great car. It is able to keep up with me (and i'm a harsh driver). It has never given me a single problem ( except for battery swap...my own fault for always forgettin lights on). Very good offroad capability. Seats are supportive. Very fun in the snow while in 2wd mode >:)
Cons: some cheap plastics here and there in the interior.
Overall review: Has been expremely reliable ever since the 1st day i bought it used 2 years ago. Lets just say that I would never trade it for the same class Honda CRV.
Think twice before you buy by Unhappy Kia owner, Tennessee on 07/31/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It's cute and affordable.
Cons: My Kia is always in the shop and never gets fixed. It has been in the shop three times because the four wheel drive did not work. Well......it still doesnt work. This car has major electrical problems.
Overall review: I would not recommend this car to anyone.
Good way to get onto the SUV bandwagon by Gopi, Houston, TX on 06/28/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Great looks, a little too cute though. Excellent 4-wheel option, the car really stabilizes in the 4-WD mode. CD player is a gem, very stable, never trips. Good handling esp whenever there's been a thunderstorm here at Houston. Neat luggage space, carries a lot of stuff.
Cons: Rear leg room is awfully low. Acceleration is pits, its gasps and gulps when you try to step on the gas. The mileage has been abominable in city (15), highway is much better, regularly does 21-22. Cr. I would have liked the rear seat to be adjustable (forward-back) so that legroom could improve.
Overall review: Decent value for money as an entry level SUV. May be if I had more money, I may have gone for an Toyota RAV4, Nissan Xterra or a Mazda Tribute, but all said & done, after 1.5 years and at least $1500 of repairs, I love my Sportage and feel quite at home in it.
Really good and really bad by Bob from Monterey on 06/23/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Inexpensive to buy and keep. Has been as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.
Cons: I feel like I'm going to lose my dental work when riding on the highway; this thing rides harsh (which is a dignified way of saying
Overall review: It's my wife's car and she loves it. I can't stand getting near it. It seems ergonomically all wrong. Ride and handling stink. Reliability is excellent. Great fuel economy. Inexpensive to own. It has 109K and runs like new. I just wish it were not so miserable to be in. If you need a short trip vehicle, buy one. If you need something for highway trips, stay away.
4WD EX not to bad! by An MSN Autos Consumer on 03/30/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Does great in snow! No major problems in 3 1/2 years. Good gas milage for 4 wd.
Cons: The exterior paint on the wheel wells started chipping off with-in three weeks of owning the car. The warrenty only covered the metal body frame. I was unable to get anyone to fix the paint, my car looks very bad due to that. I can't wait for all the paint to come off the black plastic will look much better!
Overall review: For the price I think the Sportage is a good deal. If you can't afford the $30,000 SUV. The four cylinder isn't all that but hey no speeding tickets here!
The Roughneck Kia by Glivar from Denver, CO on 02/25/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Cons: I hate the way the check engine light comes on for everything. If the gas cap isn't tight, if the gas is too rich, if you pop the clutch even the tiniest bit. It seems like it comes on for everything. I never know if anything is really wrong until you take it in.
Overall review: Other then the engine light I love my Kia Sportage. It has been alot of fun for me to drive.
the ugly egg by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/25/2004. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: 4 doors, fake wood on inside, tinted windows,
Cons: cheaply made, since i have owned(1 year) it i have replaced the whole muffler system, i closed my driver door and the back window shaddered. Hard to find parts for the car. 4 weel drive does not work very well.
Overall review: would not reccomend
The Value of a Buck by Samman from Miami, FL on 11/25/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: bought the car new iat the end of 98 a (99 model) and just finished to pay for. i've put on it over 160,000 miles on it and it's given me no major problems. you know the usual oil change tires wipers. routine stuff hope to drive it for another five years. I'm very pleased with what i got.
Cons: the paint of the car is getting tarnished but probably cause of the very hot sun since I live in Miami.
Overall review: I got this car for 15,000 less 1,000 cash back great value Too bad the price on these Kia's has started to go up.
Review ID: #392000 Is this review offensive?
NIce Vehicle by Chris on 10/20/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: 24 miles to a gallon and a comfortable ride.
Cons: Paint has faded and is peeling from the grill at 30,000 miles. The drink holders are up high where the sun heats up your soft drink.
Overall review: Nice vehicle for here in Hawaii. Only had one problem besides the grill paint and the dealership took care of it ASAP.
Junk Truck by Craig on 08/01/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Cons: This car has been nothing but problems since I've had it. It has been in the shop at least 8 times.
Overall review: Buy a Ford
Could be better by Living in fear of the highway in Virginia on 07/12/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I really liked the look of the vehicle and thought the warrenty was great.
Cons: I hate the acceleration rate, it is horrible. If you have the a/c on and you are trying to merge into traffic, thats like asking for someone to kill you.
Overall review: Overall I would say that I do like the truck and am happy with my purchase, but I don't think I will buy another Kia again.
PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING!!! by GEE THANKS KIA on 05/08/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: It was cheap and easy to school the dealers on the cost...THE END
Cons: WHERE TO BEGIN....It's a consumer's nightmare. It's the most mechanically UNSOUND machine I have ever owned..IN LIFE. The vehicle has been purchased 2 additional times due to the pricing of parts, labor, and the consistency of it's unreliable craftsmanship due to NO AFTERMARKET PARTS. Good luck finding a mechanic who knows how to fix Kia's.
Overall review: Dealerships laugh at it as a trade in. People laugh because I bought it. I laugh because it has driven me insane. P.S. Mine is for sale HAHAHAHAHAHA what an expensive paper weight!!!
Looks can be deceiving by Love our Saturns! on 03/24/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Sporty look, comfortable interior
Cons: Beware of models previous to 2000. Due to faulty design, the 4WD system fails. May only last 3 years. Compact designed motor is hard to work on.
Overall review: We loved the looks of our Sportage but in this case looks are deceiving. It proved to be a lemon needing lots of expensive repairs; a 1999 model with only 77K on it.
Nice looking- poorly made by Dave on 02/12/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: properly sized for needs
Cons: way too many repairs- engine knock trans computer wiring harnesses 4WD cheaply put together / designed radiator battery door lock jammed wiper assy broke cheaply made plastic interior parts catalytic converter check engine light transmission "hold" light ALL IN 14 MONTHS !
Overall review: Cheaply made and designed- poor engineering on Kia's part. Engine knock & 4WD problems occured just past 60K warranty. Car has been in the shop about 12 times in 14 months. Wish I never bought this car-
great deal for the right $$$$ by A MSN Autos Consumer on 02/12/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: great truck for the money
Cons: Its a little light and top heavy when loaded it has a tendercny to sway.
Overall review: I would buy another in a second.
1999 Kia Sportage by A MSN Autos Consumer on 02/08/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Cons: This vehicle has been to service several times. (4W drive, brakes, engine noises) all of which were never repaired correctly.
Overall review: Extremely poor.
KIA SPORTAGE 4X4 by SECRETARY FROM SYRACUSE on 02/03/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: HANDLES LIKE A DREAM, COMFORTABLE DRIVING AND RIDING AND EASY IN AND OUT ACCESS.
Cons: DOES NOT HAVE INTERMITTENT WIPERS
Overall review: I LOVE IT AND WOULD BUY NEW IF ANY WAY POSSIBLE IN THE NEXT COUPLE OFYEARS.
Do not buy by Albert on 01/29/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Gets around great in the snow
Cons: Cheaply made (you can hear it when you close the doors). All side windows leak air and water. Bad gas mileage.
Overall review: This small SUV is not worth the purchase price
RUN don't walk AWAY from the Sportage! by A sad Sportage owner from Chicago, IL on 01/09/2003. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: What do I like about this vehicle? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
Cons: EVERYTHING! Inside is very uncomfortable. Worst place in the world for cup holders. If you hit a bump your drink splashes everywhere from the dash to all over the shifter. Window seals make noises when driving on the expressway like the windows are open. The back hutch leaks, just to name a few...
Overall review: I purchased my 99 Sportage NEW in Aug 99, and had nothing but problems with it. It was a lemon from day one and no one would do anything about it. I've owned the thing for 3 years now, and it's cost me over $6000 in repair bills. The only reason I still own the dumb thing is because I still owe $10g's on it and it's not worth $3000! Do yourself a favor, dont buy this car!
The cutes SUV by Tatiana on 12/16/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: * VERY low maintenance * Great to maneuver
Cons: The top has to be replaced :(
Overall review: GREAT...I will keep it forevever :)
a cute and sporty piece of GARBAGE by A Midwestern TV Director on 12/12/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Sporty looking- Fairly comfortable. The elevated rear seats are a nice feature- lets kids see where they're heading. Stereo is good. Handles well.
Cons: 4 starters installed in this car- so far. 3 bouts with 4-WD quitting. Paint peels around wheel wells. Excessive front brake wear, resulting in gritty front rims all the time. Air conditioner quits in hot weather. 2 batteries to date... after the new one. Gas mileage is a joke- LESS than 15mpg highway. Constant 'rotten egg' smell. NO SATISFACTION FROM THE MANUFACTURER!!!!!
Overall review: Sure wish it was better, but this is by far the worst vehicle I have ever purchased. I've tried hard to NOT like it, because it is attractive, rather comfortable, and WHEN IT WORKS, works just fine. Biggest dissappointment: last model year before the 10 year warranty- KIA DOES NOT BACK THEIR PRODUCT. I have gone back and forth with the manufacturer and the dealer- both pawn it off on the other. The third starter was needed 1 WEEK after 1 year of purchase, just outside of our states' LEMON LAW. As a result, we've been stuck. Sure hope others don't have 1/3 of the problems that we have. 99 Sportage EX with 26k miles... in the shop as if it were a 15 year old Yugo with 200k miles on it. a tremendous and expensive dissappointment.
Another lemon by Mingle from New Mexico on 12/03/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The compact suv makes it suitable for small town driving.
Cons: It's sluggish when you need to pick up the pace.
Overall review: There's been problems with the exterior paint peeling, the battery dies easily, the interior sewing is inferior, and now, just months after the warranty expired, the four wheel drive has crashed.
'A great drive..A great ride..A great buy' by Very Pleased from Muskogee, Ok. on 10/08/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: After I learned to drive the car, it is great to own and operate. My gas mileage is above average on the highway and pretty good in the city. I have a bad back and hips; the height is perfect for me, and it is truly comfortable for me to travel in. All in all, I think you have a great car. I wish you well with your business.
Cons: I dislike nothing about the car: it is the lack of knowledge about the cars operation by salesmen that I found most disgusting. It was not mentioned about the power button on the shift lever or dash. No tips were given about driving through mountains or down hill grades. My car has guts..but, it took some time to find them.
Overall review: I am going on 65 years of age. This little car is just what my wife and I need. I was easy to get into, inexpensive to operate and a pleasure to drive. I would recommend it to anyone...in fact I have. I like the cloth interior. However, I would make one suggestion: make a cruise control standard on all models as well as variable control windshield wipers..those are the only things I really miss on my Kia Sportage, 2wheel drive.
Most dawdling SUV on Earth, but cheap so even you can own one! by Sexyboy from AZ on 09/26/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Not a bad little car for the money, I really like the faux wood trim on the EX, and comfy front seats. The Sportage has more then enough room in front to accomodate my long legs, and rear view visability is awesome. The gas mileage isn't bad for a lil' SUV. I recomend it to anybody on a budget, or those not wanting to spend a small fortune on a car.
Cons: Several minor electric problems that the warranty has covered, and the front passenger side door makes this weird whistling noise any time I go over 65 on the freeway. The two tone gray paint around the wheel base of the car is starting to peel alittle.
Overall review: If I could do it over I'd probably buy it again at this point in my life. The Sportage is great for college students who like to stuff lots of crap into their cars, but don't expect to race at the stop light or you will be sadly disapointed as just about anything (including some cyclists) can beat you.
Great "College Girl's SUV by A CarPoint Consumer on 09/19/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Economical driver. Fun to drive. Ok on long drives.
Cons: Some maintenance items fairly costly. Underpowered.
Overall review: Good value for the price.
The Sportage is not a kid vehicle by Jim on 09/17/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Considering the cost, (<$16) we are impressed with; fit, finish, dependability, comfort-including ease of entry and exit, great instrumentation cluster and display, visibility, a ride we like, a beyond decent sound system, absolute confidence in dealer service department, performance expectations beyond what we expected (pretty minimal expectations considering what we paid), Maybe our expectations were too low but at 40k miles we are still happy campers.
Cons: Front brake dust accumulation on wheels which also appears as a complaint on lots of other SUV/truck reviews; the "rottten egg" exhaust emissions smell and short life of the front brake pads and the wiper arms (rust) which were replaced by dealer at no cost. The nearest KIA service center is still 30 miles away. Local oil changes are not possible because of where the oil filter is located - need a tool from KIA.
Overall review: We thought we knew what we were getting when we opted for the Sportage. But, it has pleasantly surprised us in so many ways beyond what we expected. There are some annoying things about the vehicle that we have learned to live with , however we will probably buy a second one when the time comes. (We are in our sixties and our parents are in their eighties, so the "coming time" may be sooner than we are all comfy with. KIA has missed a great market with old people. They can actually get in and out of the Sportage without assistance.
Review ID: #311950 Is this review offensive?
The Worst SUV by sf on 09/06/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Overall review: Check engine light has been on since day one. Can never fix it or find out what it is. Catalytic converter smells - surges - uses a ton of gas.
My Sportage by NICOLE, MCKINNEY on 08/27/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The Kia Sportage offers much more room for passengers and cargo than my previous mid-size sports car. I like the fact that I can drive an affordable, stylish SUV.
Cons: i DO NOT LIKE THAE FACT THAT MY CAR HAS A SQUEAK AND RATTLE THAT HAPPENS EVERYTIME I GO OVER A BUMP AND THAT THE DEALER, (BY THE WAY, I TAKE MY CAR TO THE DEALER FOR ALL SCHEDULED MAINTINANCE) SEEMS UNABLE TO FIX IT.
Overall review: Overall, I have been very pleased with my Sportage. It has given me no mechanical problems at all. What I like most about my Sportage is the affordability, the style, and the comfort and room.
Not too bad!!! by K Street on 08/27/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Cons: Four wheel drive system has been a nightmare. Hubs replaced twice, vaccum lines twice and the entire system (axles, hubs, lines) once.
Overall review: Pretty good otherwise. Dealership has been excellent. Mountain Empire (Bristol, TN)... Luckily everything has been under warranty, so far.. Got 58k on it right, fingers crossed!
SUV by Debbie on 08/26/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Cons: Minor problems with things like windsheld wipers and automatic windows.
Overall review: It's okay.
Love it today as much today as when I bought it. by Mom from Jamesburg, NJ on 08/20/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Having been a former mini van owner this suv give you the same height feel that the van did. It has enough head room and overall interior room for the family and the dog. Lots of little storage spaces all over. The totally flat folding rear seat is an advantage for larger cargo.
Cons: Not as much pick up as my husband would like but suits me fine. The speed regulator on one window needed to be replaced early on as well as the wind shield wiper motor.
Overall review: There have been minor problems during the first 3 years about 3 times it need to be at the dealer to be fixed, otherwise has been problem free. There is no car on the market that will promise to be trouble free from the get go. This is the first that I have owned that has spent most of the time with me and not with the mechanic. Previously had a Grand Am that the dealer was going replace because they could not figure out why it would die in the middle of the highway for no apparent reason, faulty fuel pump, 3 times replaced. Voyager mini van that now needs its 3rd transmission, and a Mitsubishi that could never get the front end alligned properly. I can't say enough good things about my SUV.
Kia Sportage 2WD by Carla from Clovis, CA on 07/19/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Very pretty, has good steering and corner turns, excellent brakes, comfortable seating.
Cons: Suspension isn't super good and you can feel every bump in the road when you drive.
Overall review: Nice vehicle so far.
Lots of Fun Kia by Connie Y. on 07/08/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It is cute and easy to handle. I find it a lot of fun to drive and enjoy the Kia very much.
Cons: Cannot think of any cons, just pro's.
Overall review: Great
A machine from Hell!!!!!!! by Tina from NJ on 07/08/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!
Cons: Well, I've had my Sportage for 2 years and it is horrible. Lately, it has been in the shop for a starter problem. It has to go back in. This is number three in three weeks. And they don't even know what is wrong with it! Go figure. It only has 33,000 miles on it and it needs more brakes?!? This vehicle is a LEMON!!! Not to mention that my 4wd doesn't work. I almost went into the Delaware River. then, the wind shield sounds like it is coming into you.
Overall review: DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP. I WAS TOLD ABOUT IT BEFORE I BOUGHT IT, I WISH I LISTENED TO EVERYBODY. YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY OUT OF THIS CAR, BECAUSE THIS CAR WILL TAKE YOUR WALLET. TRUST ME, I KNOW TOO WELL. I AM DEFENITLY TRADING IT IN. I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!! THANK GOD THEY STOPPED MAKING THIS VEHICLE. FORD SOUNDS BETTER THAN THIS, AND I HATE FORD. WHEN YOU SEE A KIA, STEER CLEAR AND WALK AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CUTE SUV by TENNESSEE on 07/05/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: CUTE SUV
Cons: IMPROVE THE ACCELERATION AND POWER UP HILLS AND AT INTERSECTIONS.
Overall review: STILL DECIDING
The cute SUV by TENNESSEE on 07/05/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: It is sporty and able to also have some storage for grocieries
Cons: Could use more cylinders when going up hills. Once the vehicle gets going it is pretty good but until you get their.
Overall review: none
All right - I Guess! by MP-OF-GC on 07/02/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Cute little SUV! Runs really good!
Cons: To many other problems!
Overall review: My KIA was great when I first got it! Now that I have no warranty it seems that everything on it wants to go bad! First my windows then my breaks now my air conditioning is running back inside the passenger side floor! I cant afford to have any of this stuff fixed! I still have 3 years left to pay! Well I will just drive it untill it completely falls apart! Dont get me wrong, I like it but if I had a choice I would have something else with a longer warranty!!!
nice car by ashley on 06/30/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: good pickup
Cons: there is something wrong with the brakes
Overall review: is a nice car, just needs brakes fixed
Very dependable by Sammy from Pennsylvania on 06/29/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: It's economical, low maintenance, looks great
Cons: Car needs more power, 4 cyl is just too small for a 4wd
Overall review: Ok, so the Kia Sportage is not exactly a dream SUV but, you get what you pay for. If you want power get a Yukon. I personally purchased the car for my wife as a gift, she wanted something small but 4wd to get from the kids school to work and back home, We have owned the Kia for almost 4 years and love it, We used it on our vacations to Florida, New York, North Carolina, Maryland, etc. Drives great in rain and snow. It's like any other car, if you don't take care of it, It will break down. My Kia has been in the shop only 3 times for small stuff.
Poor SUV by Albert on 06/29/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Does get around good in the snow.
Overall review: Gas mileage is very poor. Handles fair. Would not purchase another Kia again.
Huge Lemon by Hacked off in Tulsa on 06/18/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: low monthly payment
Cons: This is the biggest lemon, ever! Has been recalled twice and in the shop for you name it. Last count of being in the shop was 9. Only reason I haven't traded it in is lack of money to put down. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will steal it.
Overall review: Will never own another.
Mystery of the KIA by Confused in Texas on 06/11/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: The DRIVE was excellent and smooth, seats comfortable for long drives, windows big enough to see at every angle.
Cons: My Kia, spent more time in the service shop than in my driveway, after I got my first KIA there were problems with the computer and the engine not getting along with eachother. Second day I owned it all the interior lights came on I thought the KIA was possesed. Passanger side window stop working, took 4 months before it could be replaced. Oh the list is soooo long.Then the Lemon Law went into effect, of course one month after I got my New Kia I had the same problems.
Overall review: Its a great vechile however expect alot of problems.
A complete LEMON!!! by "B" from Peabody, Ma on 05/27/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I like the way the car looks, it's a sporty looking suv!
Cons: Basically, I've had nothing but problems with it! A week after i got it i had to get the brake pads replaced!!! I've had several problems with the heating system all within one month! They claim that they fix your car, but i think they just do whatever they think they can to shut us up! Also i purchased this vehicle used and not more than a month after i got it newer ones went on sale for cheaper than what i payed for mine. Put it this way i've only had it for a year and i'm already looking to get rid of it! Basically look the other way when it comes to shopping for a Kia!!!!
Overall review: It's a RIP-OFF!!!!
Kia cars will never make it to 10 yrs/100,000 miles by Repair Russ on 05/26/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The car looks nice on the outside and very stylish on the inside.
Cons: Our car has 30,027. miles. It has been towed over 8 times. It has a new engine-28,000 miles. Two new starters, new electrical system. New wind-shield wiper motor, new battery, new brakes, it has been in service for over 1 month. four wheel drive system replaced twice, and numerous other problems.
Overall review: We had to go out and lease another car because my wife refused to drive it anymore-- it had to be towed so many times and would not start numerous times.
my kia by kia owner from N.H on 04/16/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: For a SUV this automobile handles relatively good. It is small enough to get in and out of tight places.
Cons: I don't really have any dislikes. The trade in value is low for a 4 wheel drive vehicle.
Overall review: Overall review I like this vehicle. I am not really sure if I would buy another one. I have found that the trade in value is low for this vehicle.
The Ultimate Kia Sportage by Shavonne Fells, Virginia Beach, VA on 04/08/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: I liked the way the car looks and the way they go down the street and the people that have been driving their cars said that they liked it and that they would refer others to get the vehicle.
Cons: I never owned this perticular car yet but I'm looking to find more about them.
Overall review: My overall review of the Kia is that I would't mind getting one of these to go to school and to work.
Korea's Inappropriate Auto by Toby on 03/25/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Cons: Horrible! Vehicle too light for the 4WD to be of any use (WI winter). "Kia" brand battery died in the first year. Timing belt dead at 60,000 ($700.00 to replace) Wipers are psychotic. Back gate doesn't work after 18 mos. Power window has a mind of it's own. Speaker in rear dead. Defrost does not do it's job on front side windows. Kia 4 cyl. only gets 4 MPG better than a Ford F-150 W/Triton V8. Horrible resale.
Overall review: DO NOT buy this vehicle
Great Little SUV by drivealot from North GA on 03/17/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: This is our 2nd Kia. We owned a Sephia. Wanted to trade for a SUV but didn't want to spend mega bucks. Needed 4WD but wanted a family vehicle. This vehicle has everything that I was looking for. Great gas mileage. Handles very well.
Cons: We did have a few problems but most were repaired by either Kia or the extended warranty. The problems that we had could have happened to any car - not just a KIA. Dealership very friendly but too far away. The 3 closest dealerships are at least 45 minutes away. If they were closer or open on Saturday for service, I would take the vehicle there for all maintenance.
Overall review: So far, so good. I put alot of miles on a vehicle....I love to drive! I feel safer in the Sportage than I did in my car. When it comes time to trade this one in we will definately be visiting the Kia dealership again!
dont know by jose on 03/14/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: everyting
Overall review: i love this car
My second KIA by Driver from S A, Texas on 03/11/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 2WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Comfort
Cons: Elictrical system inconsistent
Overall review: I would not buy another KIA Sportage. I had one prior and just thought I bougth a lemon, but the second was about the same.
money for nothing & THE GAS IS NOT FOR FREE by serge salameh from Beirut/LEBANON on 03/08/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: nothing much, it's out of character, out of time, plus, there's nothing special about it
Cons: there's nothing special about it, plus it consumes too much gas for a 2 litres engine
Overall review: i wish: it consumes less gas, it had a better look, although it's better than the previous sportages it had more character
A scooter is faster. by Esther from Glendale Hts. on 03/02/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: It's roomy, and handles well.
Cons: No power. They put the beverage holder in a bad place. The rims get all full of the soot from the brakes, poor design. Sometimes the 4wd works and the windshield washer in the rear never works, and when it does it's only a little trickle.
Overall review: I could have done better. My choice of vehicle was poor.
best bang for the buck by kutekelly1 on 02/27/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: like the way it handles in ice, snow and mud
Cons: wind pushes it around quite a bit
Overall review: the sportage does everything i want it to do. there is some road noise and the wind pushes it around. i like the way it handles in rain, snow, mud and ice.
Good vehicle for the price by Phoenix, AZ on 02/04/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The size of the vehicle is great for around town and parking. It is a quick "peppy" car.
Cons: When the windows are rolled down part way they tend to vibrate/shake, same with the side driver side and rear view mirror. Two areas around the back window and front windshield "whistle" when driving. The dealer said there was nothing they could do and didn't find any fault.
Overall review: Overall I'm really happy with the KIA Sportage, the price and the size of it. I have had no mechanical problems, but then again I only have 18k miles on it. Unfortunately this car doesn't have a good resale value.
Great in the snow! by JamisonM from Hiram, Maine on 01/25/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Cons: Needs a bigger engine!
Overall review: This car is awesome offroad! I have no trouble in the snow at all, and the clearance from the ground is great! Comfortable, easy ride, and a great value. Service is great from the dealers!
Good looking lemon and possible death trap. by I-Will-Never-Buy-Kia-Again on 01/15/2002. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Looks good, in a feminine kind of way.
Cons: The electronics are no good, something is always going wrong. The suspension and exhaust are failing already (just got the report from my local mechanic). I have lost count of the number of times I have had this vehicle in for warranty work. Kia parts are expensive and service is difficult to get in remote locations. This car is a LEMON don't ever buy one - you have been warned!
Overall review: LEMON - avoid it like the plague. The 1999 models used poor quality copper in the wiring which goes some way to explaining the constant electronic problems - power windows, central locking, air-conditioning, etc. all have failed at least once. Once going downhill all electronics seemed to fail at once nearly resulting in my wifes demise - very scary.
the wifes truck by mike from roseville mn on 12/06/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: price&drivability
Cons: smallengin&weight
Overall review: very depenable
kia, you suck by brenda from rochester ny on 11/28/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: ?
Cons: its in the shop often and almost every part on this dam thing has been replaced,
Overall review: this truck and its manufacturer suck, come to think of it so does the dealer and their repair shop. lying thiefs.
Another idiot bought an Edsel. by Ellen from Somerset, KY on 11/27/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: cute... affordable
Cons: always in the shop... no room... no power in the transmission... no trade in value.
Overall review: I would have never bought the Kia if it wasn't so cute, and I wish I had known the problems that I would have had with repairs. The amount I saved on the ticket price would have not been as appealing if I knew that I would spend so much on repairs. To do it over, I would have went with ugly and reliable, over cute and unpredictible.
n/a by disappointed from ny,ny on 11/08/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: nimble,easy to park ,nice headlights can see everything at night with low beams on.
Cons: handling going into corners. uneven roads tends to wander, high winds takes you off the road just about.
Overall review: haveto go back to the drawing board on this one.
Proud Kia Customer by Kay from Tacoma, Wa. on 11/07/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I haven't had one problem with the vehicle.
Cons: Not very roomy.
Overall review: I love my car but I do think that some of the Kia dealerships need to learn people skills. I have been to 3 different states for service and have not found one nice serviceman. Also, I would suggest moving the cup holder to another spot. Drinks will spill sometimes during movement and the drip all over the stereo making the buttons stuck.
Nice for the wife by Husband of a On-The-Run-Mom on 10/23/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: Not the most powerful 4 banger, but great for the wife!!! When they decide to slam a V6 or I6 under the hood then it will have plenty of power!!! Very reliable and an overall great vehicle....
FORGET ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!! by DISGRUNTLED KIA OWNER IN OMAHA on 10/19/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: IT'S CUTE!
Cons: THE FIRST WEEK I HAD THE KIA, IT BROKE DOWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION. THE GAS PUMP FELL OFF AND F*CKED UP MY BACK SHOCK. THE 4WD IS SH*T. LAST WINTER I FISHED TAILED MORE TIMES THAN A MARLIN. I FELT PRETTY EMBARRASSED WHEN A LITTLE GEO METRO PASSED ME BY AS I STRUGGLED TO GET OUT OF THE SNOW. FROM SOME REASON THE ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON. HELLO I'M STILL DRIVING!!
Overall review: I WOULD NOT BY ANOTHER KIA. HOW COME THE ALARM GOES OFF WHEN YOU LOCK THE DOOR A CERTAIN WAY, I NEVER KNEW THERE WAS AN ALARM. MY FIANCEE'S FORD TAURUS HAS MORE POWER THAN THIS SUV "WANNA BE." IF YOUR LOOKING AT KIA, LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Cute, but high maintenance by A CarPoint Consumer on 10/10/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Cute, versitile
Cons: Always in the shop. Things breaking that shouldn't, like wiper mechanism, starter, AC, rear gate, 4WD, window seals etc. They are very nice at my dealer, but it doesn't make up for the incovenience of so many repairs on a two year old vehicle.
Overall review: I would not get one again. My lease is up in August of 2002, and I will be dumping it as fast as possible. The attractiveness and versitility is not worth the headaches of so many repairs.
DO NOT BUY A SPORTAGE by Hottie from Chicago on 09/11/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: NOTHING!
Cons: EVERYTHING!
Overall review: This car/small SUV, almost killed me twice!!! Nothing but one problem after another with this vehicle. I purchaed it new, a year later, the break pads fell off, locking my front wheels up on the expressway, almost killing me, a year later it happened again, a week ago a belt broke causing $1200 damage to my engine. Now, it's starting to rust. Anyone interested in buying one DON'T. Finance companies urge their clients NOT TO PURCHASE a KIA.... Insurance companies urge their clients NOT TO PURCHASE a KIA... What does this tell you???
Review ID: #205162 Is this review offensive?
Cute but Tough!!!! by REE from Woodbridge, Va on 09/11/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The inside room is very comfortable. It is a 4wd truck that you can drive like a car.
Cons: I would like for the rear window to roll down, and not to have to use a key to get into the truck.
Overall review: Excellent truck for the price, all the conviences of a 4X4 but small enough not to burn alot of gas.
Review ID: #205067 Is this review offensive?
Good starter car by Copperhead & Nibbles on 09/09/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Seems to be an all-around good little car. Handles nicely, performs fairly well (for a 4-cylinder). Roomy enough for a 4 person family with plenty of space.
Cons: Have had considerable trouble with 4-wheel drive on this car. Mechanically sound, although electronic switches and vacuum- actuators for 4WD have failed more than once. Also DO NOT like how front wheels aren't shielded from brake dust off of rotors. Where most others have dust shields, this has none. Therefore, 2 days after washing, front wheels are filthy.
Overall review: All in all, good car for fairly young family or a couple. Would make an excellent starter car for someone.
Review ID: #204409 Is this review offensive?
Sportage albatros by Betty fr Chicago on 09/06/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Cons: There is absolutely NO resale or trade in value on these vehicles. I can't give it away. The payoff and trade in value are totally out of whack. You will be in a big black hole if you buy one of these.
Overall review: DON'T GO THERE
Review ID: #203488 Is this review offensive?
The best travel utility vehicle by A CarPoint Consumer on 08/29/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: Doesn't seem to be as top heavy as other sport utilities.
Review ID: #201772 Is this review offensive?
Kia sucks mechanically by Janet from Ft Wayne on 08/25/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I like the size and the price and it does not handle bad. The gas mileage is great for a 4x4. The car does not handle bad but the workmanship on the total car is very poor. Mechanical problems seem never ending.
Overall review: Car is good if it worked mechanically
Review ID: #200197 Is this review offensive?
Fair SUV by A CarPoint Consumer on 08/04/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Good gas mileage for a SUV
Cons: Does not ride well. Is not a good vehicle for long road trips. Could have better suppension.
Overall review: Would not purchase another KIA, just not the ride that is should be.
Review ID: #193111 Is this review offensive?
Yuck by A CarPoint Consumer on 08/03/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It's cute.
Cons: The repairs! If I wasn't sick of being a single female & having a hard time with dealers I'd buy another vehicle. I can't take all the problems anymore. HELP!!!!!!
Overall review: I would NEVER recommend a Kia to anyone. I cringe every time I hear someone talking about buying one or if someone did. I want to shout, "TAKE IT BACK!!!"
Review ID: #192420 Is this review offensive?
Reliable truck by Everette on 08/01/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: pros: i like it's look and the fact that it's very reliable compare to my American cars.
Cons: the car needs more power, the 2.0 4Lt. sucks, kia can i get a V6?
Overall review: If you looking for reliable transportation, great car. If youlooking for performancs forget it
Review ID: #191392 Is this review offensive?
don't even ask by don't even ask on 07/27/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Overall review: don't even ask
good family car by mike on 07/18/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: spacious, good gas milage, xtra cargo space
Cons: small engine, very noisy cabin,
Overall review: good car for a small family
average car by whidman on 07/11/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Overall review: aveage
The biggest lemon since the Pacer by ddday from Cape Cod on 07/10/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I like the color!
Cons: I have had this car in the shop over 12 times since I bought it in 7/99. I have had the entrire exaust system replaced. That took 4 visits to have them figure out the problem. The service dept. @KIA knows how awful these cars are and they groan and roll thier eyes whenever I walk in. I could go on forever but space w/not allow it.
Overall review: Not a happy purchase.
Don't buy it!!!! Save yourself!! by Kia Dismay on 07/10/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: size, color sporty!
Cons: Let's see this is my 5th time to the dealer this week! How does that sound. I've had the following problems: 4 wheel drive, transmission, catalitic converter, back window, etc.
Overall review: Do not buy this car. It will be in the shop more than on the road.
honnda by A CarPoint Consumer on 07/05/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Overall review: me encanto
I'ts dependably fun! by TAS from Albany, Ky. on 06/30/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It is small but yet has a very roomy interior. Handling is smooth and tight with a comfortable ride. Exterior is simple yet stylish with no bulky, boxy futuristic apperance. I was a previous 96' Explorer owner for 9 months and was very dissatisfied with i'ts handling and overall performance. I prefer my Kia Sportage 10 to 1 over an Explorer anyday. Kia gives a good gas mileage and is very fun to drive. I would recommend one to anybody.I am very pleased with its performance and reliability.
Cons: The only thing bad about the Kia Sportage is that i didn't buy one sooner.
Overall review: If you want a SUV that is fun, affordable and can be driven without having the feeling of setting in the cockpit of a F-14 jet, the Kia Sportage is for you! To sum it all up in one word about my Kia, "SATISFIED"!
A Tough Little SUV by A CarPoint Consumer on 06/26/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: A tough little SUV. 4WD works great in snow and mountains. Very good milage for a 4wd. Everything works after two years Only one recall--better than my 99 Pontiac GrandAm in this regard. Makes a good tow vehicle with my RV.
Cons: Transaxle a little noisy when shifting. Very annoying warning bell.
Overall review: A good value
If you buy it keep your wallet out you are not done paying for this car. by R.J. Blevins on 06/26/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It was cheap for a 4x4 and it is great in the mud if you have the right tires. Fun to drive offroad and still have power windows, locks and alluminum rims. Cheap is more politicaly correct than inexpensive with this car.
Cons: It's sad to say that the warranty is not as good as it may appear when being sold. I find that KIA dealers in general do not support a basic level of customer service required by somebody that wants to keep their car in great shape. The mechanical portion of the KIA is fine. It's just difficult trying to keep all of the small parts on the car. The car has a loud engine and screams when running at higher RPM's even though the Tachometer redlines @ 68-69 RPM's.
Overall review: I have owned my Sportage for 2 years now and have had to replace the front brakes, have the exhaust sytem replaced, have the trim around all the windows replaced, have the condensate line for the AC system that fell off re-attached (this caused a flood within my car and KIA did replace the carpet w/the repair) and now the oil dipstick has broken off and it now has to be replaced, I also have a small leak in the heater coil. I highly suggest buying an extended warranty for this vehicle the sad thing is that my extended warranty package is more complete than KIA offers. One more year and I will be in better shape with my extended warranty than the factory warranty (sad to say).
A Car That is Not Worth Your Money by LowRider418 from NY on 06/25/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: it is a cheap affordable car that many people could buy. it is a car that will not make people look at you with a snobbish look beacase this car is not at all a rich folk car. you will ride in a bumby ride that will reasure you that indeed you are in an S.U.V.
Cons: but if you have a stiff agenda, this car will make it even more unbearable. you are goin to have to put this vehicle in the mechanics more times then you would an old car. if you want a car that will take you were you wan tto go with more occasional mechanic stops then you could handle, this car is for you.
Overall review: you do not want this "SUV"
KIA SPORTAGE by A CarPoint Consumer on 06/20/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: ITS CHEAP!
Cons: ITS CHEAP
Overall review: IT NEEDS TO HAVE A LITTLE MORE UMPH TO IT!
MEDIOCRE MEANS OF TRANSPO by A CarPoint Consumer on 06/18/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: STYLE, COST & WARRANTY
Cons: PROBLEMATIC, RIDES ROUGH
Overall review: FAIR
Cute small suv by Dreaming of more power on 06/16/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Small SUV. Peppy for around the town. Decent highway acceleration. Smart design. Comfortable ride. Good on gas. Minimal maintenance.
Cons: Front wheel brake dust excessive. Extra wheel on outsidem of back problematic. The swing gate again needs repaired. Cup-holder covers the heater and a.c. buttons. Quite sluggish when the ac is on.
Overall review: One of the most affordable suv's on the market. It has a smart design but lacks power especially when the ac is in use. Handles nicely and responds well. 4wd is manual and works well for snow and ice conditions, it is necessary as the fwd designe makes traveling with snow conditions impossible to move.
This is a 'keeper'. by TonyL from Clearwater, FL on 06/15/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: This has been a fun vehicle. The interior has been adequate for a family of 4. We have taken very long trips (1370 miles one way) and for once I did not have back or leg pains after driving for 8 hrs at a time. Only taken into shop one time (new exhaust and wire connector recall) and had it back (at no cost) 4 hrs. later. Have not had any problems at all. Following regular oil changes (3500 miles) and a new set of brakes (24k miles) all around, this has been a trouble-free vehicle for us.
Cons: Engine could use some extra power. But then again, we did not want to spend an extra $9K to $12K for a larger vehicle and a V-6 or V-8.
Overall review: This has been a good vehicle for us. It is fun to drive and fairly agile to get into places others cannot. The cost of maintenance is negligible for the 28k miles it now has. This has been an excellent mode of transportation and the cost justifies it even more. I have read that other Sportage Owner's are not so fortunate in having one built like ours was built. It is a shame that 'Quality Control' of parts or assembly could not be maintained for what-ever reason at KIA. We are looking at getting a larger vehicle for our growing family, but this KIA SPORTAGE is still going to remain with us for a very long time. We purchased it new in late '99 and from about 29 different vehicles that I have owned since 1983, I would say this is a 'keeper'.
The city SUV by Chicago Rock Star on 06/14/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Compact. Perfect for a city. Handles well when using 4WD (hey, even cities get snow and ice!) Spare tire easy to get to.
Cons: A little loud at interstate speeds. Some of the interior buttons (rear wiper, cruise) are located "behind" the steering wheel (near the ignition) and are difficult to see while driving. Both the AC button/rear defrost button and clock cannot be seen when cupholder is used.
Overall review: A nice, little car for a young couple or small family. Good "grocery getter" but stylish enough to take out on the town.
The little 4x4 that could by Barney from Liverpool on 06/13/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: smooth handling, good acceleration. great in the snow. agile and smooth riding is tough weather.
Cons: Gas mileage is only fair-- about 19MPG. could be better
Overall review: Would recomend to anyone looking at a small 4X4, for the $$$$ this little guy ain't bad.
could improve! by unsatisfied! on 06/08/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: easy to park, very little road noise, appearence.
Cons: handling at highway speeds, wanders, high windy days takes you off the road, uneven roads foooorget it!!!
Overall review: should of spent a little more time improving the suspension, sits way too high and too short of wheel base for it to support!
Ka Ka Ka KIA by A CarPoint Consumer on 06/08/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Leather seats, CD player, roomy.
Cons: SLOW engine, poor depreciation value, weak AC, cup holders block AC vents, tire gate is a hassle, lots of recalls.
Overall review: For my first SUV-type vehicle, it's been fun. I love the style and roominess but it performs poorly on long trips. The AC never seems to ever cool the entire vehicle. I'm in the process of getting rid of the vehicle and am very surprised at it's poor value depreciation. I will never purchase another vehicle that depreciates so quickly!
definately not by dissatisfied from wisconsin on 06/05/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: none
Cons: too many repair problems
Overall review: lemon vehicle
Dangerous sportage by chyna on 05/30/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: nothing!!
Cons: Its very unsafe...had alot of problems
Overall review: stay away from kia
lemon all the way by Anyana, Chicago, IL on 05/23/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: the car is cute. that's about it. it does handle pretty well with the 4WD, but without it in the snow forget even driving straight down a road at 5MPH
Cons: I have way too many problems with the car. I just heard that Kia brake pads wear out every 1500 miles. That would explain why I'm in the dealership every other month getting my brakes fixed!
Overall review: I hate my car
Goes where the big boys go, in style! by Marc Prouty on 05/23/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Great styling, plenty of power for a 4-cylinder SUV, and pretty decent handling- all at a darn good price!
Cons: Some problems with the paint coming off of the wheelwell trim, bodyside and rocker mouldings. However, my dealer and KIA have been more than willing to do what it takes to correct it, including installing all brand new trim!
Overall review: Overall, it's a great vehicle. I'll definitely buy another when it's time (maybe KIA will have introduced a V6 model by then- AIEEEE!!!)
The ultimate small suv. by Scott from Van, TX on 05/22/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It has plenty of get up and go power if you ever need it. Extremely great warranty that I have yet to use. Plenty of room for a small family or just to have fun with friends. Excellent for off-roading.
Cons: could use electronic shift on the fly 4wd.
Overall review: I've loved my little Kia so if you are thinking about buying one all I have to say is go for it.
Great Starter by TJ on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Cheap
Cons: Poor Design
Overall review: Fair
the ultimate joke by Steve from dallas on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Cons: has been in the shop 3x a year since we bought it.. for recalls & anything else that fails on it.
Overall review: unless you have extra money to spend on rent a cars,,stear clear from this savings drain.
1999 Sportage a lemon by Mancuso from Kentucky on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Cons: .
Overall review: I have had numerous problems with my Sportage. In the first year and a half it had been in the shop over 10 times for various items
Don't buy this truck.. by Beeson, Oak Harbor, WA. on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Sporty. That's about it.
Cons: Everything else.
Overall review: One of the worst decisions I have ever made in car buying.
kia by nurse423 on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: beautiful and fun to drive
Cons: fun to drive when you can keep it out of the shop
Overall review: very unsatisfied
fun stuff by bett in appleton on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I love the body style.
Overall review: it is a pretty good car. the gas mileage could be better.
Fun & Sporty SUV by Elaine Campbell on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Very good gas mileage, easy to drive, economical to own
Cons: noisy
Overall review: Runs good, economical, energy efficient, looks sporty, roomy for a SUV that size and fun to drive.
Don't Go Kia by LisaWilliams from Philadelphia, PA on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: handling sporty look
Cons: noisy problems
Overall review: Poor
Kia Disappointment by Terri on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Interior is nice and comfortable. Sound system is good. Handles and brakes well.
Cons: Paint peels off exterior very easily. It is a gas hog. Doesn't go up hills very well.
Overall review: My Kia looks ok and handles well. The exterior leaves a lot to be desired. The gas mileage could also be improved. I can run uphill faster than this vehicle will go uphill. The power windows don't always work. I wouldn't recommend buying one to anyone. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't buy this vehicle.
good car by ronald w on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Overall review: good car
a very good suv for the cost by derobyn from oklahoma on 05/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: we haven't had any trouble so far... we hope that stays true! it doesn't have alot of power but we didn't want something with alot of power.
Sportage is not very sporty by Aggravated in Atlanta on 05/16/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Pretty decent warranty. They had to though the car is so poorly made.
Cons: The gas mileage is terrible with gas prices as high as they are I don't know how I am going to make it through the summer. I plan to be getting rid of this car within the next 2 weeks. Parts of the car constantly break in pieces.
Overall review: Yuk!
Take your chances by Laura on 05/14/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Other than its appearance I can think of nothing I like about this vehcile.
Cons: The cup holder is in an awkward place. Covers to seat belts fall off. I have been in the shop on several occassions to replace seat, door handles, canvas top, windshield wipers, recalls, window moldings (air leaks) and now the lates problem....I have now 4 wheel drive.
Overall review: If you want a cheap flimsy vehicle this is the car for you. I won't be buying a new one anytime soon.
Tired of hitching a ride by Diane -- Taunton, Ma on 04/29/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Stylish, roomy inside---nice cup holders. Reasonably priced.
Cons: Does not handle well. Top heavy on the highway. I don't like the way the back door opens. Unreliable transportation. It has been in the shop more times than I can stand. Problems ranging from electrical wiring, brakes, front end, and transmission. Has under 20,000 miles.
Overall review: Time to bite the bullet and trade it in for a dependable Honda.
Let me tell you about my KIA! by Debra G. on 04/26/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I like the style of the vehicle, it has a full spare tire. Interior is pretty good.
Cons: I have racked up the miles taking it to Kia to have it repaired. I had the recall work done on my KIA as soon as the recall notice came. Well it liked going to the shop so well it wants to go back and visit, OFTEN!
Overall review: Do not buy a KIA, the next time mine goes to the shop, or is towed which ever comes first, 8 times able to drive in to shop 3 times stranded and towed to shop either way, I will file the Lemon Law per the directions in KIAS book.
After all its a good little vehical by Roadrunner from Boston, MA on 04/26/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: It gets me around.
Cons: Too many mechanical problems. One after each other.
Overall review: Besides the mechanical problems it's fine.
Can do without by lanena from Illinois on 04/20/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It's compact yet roomy, looks ok, good in gas.
Cons: Too slow, don't like stick shift vehicles expecially kia's they have absolutely no power, just recently found out that this kind of car does not hold its value. Looses value quickly.
Overall review: The vehicle looks good but, I wouldn't buy another kia again!
Review ID: #120354 Is this review offensive?
Great Car. Lousy Repair History. by Kia Lover? on 04/19/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Great looks. Good ride. Handles well. Comfortable. Stops good. Full size spare. Gas mileage. Lot's of room. Power windows, locks, steering standard equipment.
Cons: Breaks down alot. Was in 5 times to get it fixed right. Now the 4wd doesn't work at 50k miles. Cup holders in front of heat controls?!?!? Horrible tires, replaced them immediately. 5th gear at 40 is a joke. Engine whines very loud. At 65 it sounds like a rod is about to blow. Lack of a 6 cylinder model.
Overall review: Great city car. If you live in the country like I do with lots of hills, stay away. Don't buy it unless your within a short distance to the dealer, because when it breaks down you'll be without it for at least a week. Make sure the dealer offers loaner cars, most don't. If you want a nice looking suv that rides nice, buy it. If reliability is important, don't
Review ID: #119225 Is this review offensive?
not good by first time jeep owner. on 04/18/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: more room space and is pretty good on dirt roads.
Cons: it has problems with oxygen sensors and the emissions control is a big problem.
Overall review: not really much to say.
KIA! by MIAMI PRINCESS FROM INDIANA on 04/14/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: CUTE!
Overall review: GOOD CAR
My new car by Mr. Pete on 04/14/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 2WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Very Afordable
Cons: To small for a family
Overall review: To much competition in the same Auto field
ideal for me by A CarPoint Consumer on 04/14/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: the size, style, price, this vehicle is perfect for me...but KIA, needs to be in tune to there maintenance and warranties, or need to have more places that know more about these vehicles...
Cons: transmission and people/technicians that know anything about them...
Overall review: I really like my truck, but have problems with the transmission and have not had much success in getting answers.
single person's SUV by Pam from KY on 04/06/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I like the car's looks and the price. The interior is very attractive. I like the cloth seats and they are comfortable. It has been very reliable . Has had only a few minor problems. Handles fair around corners. I like the height of the vehicle. Easy to get in and out of.
Cons: well first of all it is too small. I feel unsafe. It is very underpowered. I took it into the mountains and couldn't even make it up the hill in 2nd gear. The RPM's are too high when going 60 or more. The rear hatch is a pain to get into. I have had a problem with the latch not opening and it still isn't right. You need to be an engineer to figure out how to program the stereo. If Kia made a 6 cyl. the size of a blazer it would be much better.
Overall review: Good for a single person or a college student. Excellent gas mileage. I will not get another one.
KIA by Kea Baltimore on 04/02/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: it's small but roomy
Cons: I have a very hard time closing the tire on the back of my trunk.
Overall review: it is a very nice car
Piece of CACA -LEMON Vehicle by Sharon Bishop on 03/28/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Nothing, I have a lemon and Kia will not back the product. Anyone who wants to sue with me - please contact me at (559) 622-0434 I can't give this piece of crap away!
Cons: Everything
Overall review: I have contacted KIA several times to no avail. I sure can't stop buying the bank. Thanks for backing your product KIA, RIGHT.
Not bad transportation by Bertie from Brooklyn NY on 03/25/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Nice comfortable drivin` position; reasonable power & handlin`
Cons: Nothing that I can`t live with
Overall review: Only a few dealer visits 1-A/C loose electrical connection 2-No 4*4 change front lockin` hubs 3-Cruise control stopped workin` 4-Front rotors slightly wrapped;not corrected by because pads (KIA`s) were not installed by a dealer
Sportage by trainerr from Southern ME on 03/23/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: compact size & good gas mileage
Cons: 4WD keeps breaking and a myriad of minor problems occuring as well
Overall review: Has the potential to be a good little SUV with a bit of fine tuning and a 6 cylinder engine. The rear seats are a pain in the neck to deal with. I keep them folded forward so my dogs can have the back and its quite a chore to rearrange them so humans can sit back there. If the seats were set up like my boyfriend's Ford Explorer I would actually consider buying another Sportage because the Explorer's seats are so easy to flip up for a passenger. It is of such importance to me, that my next SUV purchase will be made with that in mind since my dogs are in my vehicle with me almost constantly.
ford by jim on 03/23/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: price
Cons: no getup and go
Overall review: it ok for the price
Not a bad little truck by Big Daddi on 03/22/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: Good price for a SUV.
Cons: To small for a large person
Overall review: The EX is very sporty looking, great on gas and enough room in rear seats for a medium build adult. overall not a bad little truck.
A real Lemon by marcie on 03/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Cons: many hours spent in the repair shop, falling apart around us. very dangerous vehicle. i would not tell my worst enemy to buy one.
Overall review: I bought this vehicle brand new in 1999, it is a year and a half old and it is falling apart around us. about 25 visits to the repair shop and dozens of hours wasted without a vehicle to drive. my advice to anyone out there is "Do not buy one". see 60 minutes report of young lady whose accelerator pedal stuck and was sent out of control in her KIA through several dangerous intersections before she was able to stop. problem was reported to KIA, and she was told she was aliar, they couldn't find anything wrong! story sounds very familiar.
KIA by Steven Fort Wainwright, AK on 03/12/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: Not to bad of a mini SUV, if 4WD is needed at a low cost. The Sportage 4WD EX is a pretty good vehicle.
Inconvenient by SW1 on 03/09/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It is definitly a fun car in the summer and practical in the winter because of 4WD.
Cons: The gas tank is too small. Not very convenient for long trips. Its very inconvenient to open the rear tailgate because of the plastic windows. I've had numerous problems with the 4x4 hubs. They've been replaced 4 times (including the recall). They keep burning out for some reason. Of course the soft top is very loud at highway speeds.
Overall review: Overall it a nice alternative to the big scarey SUV's, but its not the most convenient vehicle.
Disappointed owner by Matt from Washington county,ME. on 03/09/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It was affordable and had a nice appearance. We wanted a 4WD and good safety features. The service department has been very good. We are on a first name basis.
Cons: We have had it back to the dealer 6 times. The last time we had to replace one automatic hub and fix some vacuum lines in order to use the 4WD. (14000miles) It is under powered and very stiff. I believe the fuel economy should be better also. I will not buy another one.
Overall review: Buy a toyota.
Review ID: #91984 Is this review offensive?
The Fun 4X4 by A CarPoint Consumer on 03/09/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It is dependable, very low maintainence, good gas mileage for a 4wd, easy to manuver in traffic, off roads nicely in snow or mud, easy to drive
Overall review: It's a fun,fast easy handling car that takes me where I want to go and brings me back again with no problems
Problem Car by A CarPoint Consumer on 03/06/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: 4 by 4, Drives good in the snow. Best Pros: sold it yesterday
Cons: Had car for 2 years and had it in the shop more than anything else I ever had, for example was 2 months old and airbag system broke, then control knobs stop working, then the front locking hubs wore out and then the front brake disk warped causing the car to shake like crazy when you press the brake pedal. I can go on and on but wont help.
Overall review: Will never get a Kia Sportage again.
Super SUV :) by Annabell6996 from Athens, PA on 03/05/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: the look, style, and the 4 wheel drive
Cons: would like 6cyl. engine, too top heavy...
Overall review: very nice suv, first one ive owned but would recommend it to others.
monster go-cart by sanai from K-town L.A. on 03/03/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: fun to drive good gas efficiency chicks dig it
Cons: I wish this vehicle has a V-6 mortor and good after market line
Overall review: it`ll be pimp`n when I get done customizing a hard top on this little MONSTER!
a must buy by tm loon on 02/28/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It is an excellent value for the price. It is virtually trouble-free and handles itself very nicely on long highway trips. Gas mileage is excdellent.
Cons: It could use more power
Overall review: great value and quality
The 'worst' truck in America! by A CarPoint Consumer on 02/27/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Cons: this is the worst vechile I have ever owned. It has been in the shop 5 times for wiring problems. Twice for brakes and rotors.
Overall review: Absolutly the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I is not backed up by the dealerships and by Kia.
Junker!!! by Kaylee on 02/26/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Overall review: The Kia has had a cough to it since I have bought it. I has rail dust (rusting) under the paint, I had it re-clear coated and it still does it. It is loud above 50 mph, I have had the seals on the windows replaced. The 4X4 doesn't work when it is cold, (the mechanics know this happens). I have had the CD player replaced 3 times. the latches and lifts on the back replace. The gears in the 4X4 have been replaced.
I'm another sucker. Looks mean nothing... by Sue from Wintery WI on 02/23/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I'm another person who thought this vehicle was "cute". The gas mileage isn't as good as what I was told (25-29mpg), but I do get between 18-25mpg depending on weather conditions.
Cons: Way too many problems...the console broke, 2 window seals are bad(wind noise),cruise control broke. Dealership kept telling me nothing was wrong with the cruise. Had to take it back 2x before they would fix it.(dealership= 60 miles away) Discovered it had a faulty switch but had none in stock. (MECHANIC told us Kia had major problems with their electrical systems) Rear wiper sprayer doesn't work, brake has to be pressed down hard before it works.NOW THE 4WD SYSTEM IS OUT!!! Mechanic said, "another major problem". Waiting time-30 to 45 days for parts to come in because of this failure. I can't get up my driveway with even an inch of snow...no weight over the rear wheel drive!!
Overall review: It was a fairly cheap suv, and I sure got what I paid for! It's not just MY Kia. I should have listened to the poor reports on dependability. Really, please be careful when considering this vehicle. Mine sure is a lemon, and now I'm losing a bundle of $$$ trying to get rid of it! I only have 16,000 miles on this vehicle.
perfect SUV by Gary in Detroit on 02/23/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: very nice 4x4, 4 wheel works great and is very easy "on the fly" to use. Have 43,000 worry free miles in the past 22 months, many options, great C/D and sound , power mirrors, p.s. cruise, A/C, pulse wipers front, rear wiper/washer, fold down rear seat, lots of leg/head room front & rear, full size tires and spare, many storage compartments, and options. all for $17,000.
Cons: it only gets 20 mpg in the city and 23-24 mpg on highway, but thats not to bad for a 4x4 s.u.v.
Overall review: Lots and lots of vehicle for only $17,000. other models are only $14,000, great job on this model
chickmobile by A CarPoint Consumer on 02/22/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Overall review: chickmobile
Great buy! by Effervescence from Chicago, IL on 02/20/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It's very easy to drive and looks great.
Cons: Cops see this recreational vehicle and automatically assume that it's someone young driving it, so they pay attention.
Overall review: good buy for the money- the Koreans have underpriced it for all the stuff you get, you get a great buy for the money you spend
Good 1st Car by A CarPoint Consumer on 02/19/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It was a great 1st car. I was young and a convertible was what every kid needed. It got me where I needed to go. It was pretty good on gas and it was nice to take the top off of in the summer.
Cons: Now that I am older it is not so practical. The front brakes wear out pretty quickly. Brake dust collects rapidly on the wheels. A few minor problems nothing serious. The biggest problem is the dealers not the car. More often than not I run into rude reps. and others just stop selling and servicing them. I hope it doesn't turn out to be another ugo.
Overall review: It's okay for single people. It doesn't hold to the wear and tear that a larger family may put on it. It wouldn't exactly fit a large amout of people anyway. The only problem I see is the price. Don't pay an exorbitant amount for such a small car. Overall it's been a good car.
good starter sport utilty by A CarPoint Consumer on 02/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: 4x4 cd player air bags automatic on the floor trant can change shift points
Cons: its small lackes in power
Overall review: good starter car
this sport utility is the worst by Jay from connecticut on 02/15/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Nothing!
Cons: Everything! It is a nightmare. This vehicle is 4 wheel drive but in the snow 1 wheel spins
Overall review: Do not buy this vehicle
Nothing special, but... by A CarPoint Consumer on 02/10/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: cheap, good for city driving..
Cons: poor workmanship
Overall review: You get what you pay for, do not expect much, good for running erands etc...
DISAPPOINTED by ANYANA, Glen Ellyn, IL on 02/09/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I like the way it handles w/ the 4WD.
Cons: There's too much to say. EVERYTHING
Overall review: I have had nothing but problems with my car, it is in the shop at LEAST once a month. I have had the breaks looked and and supposidly fixed at least 3 times. I have the car in several times for winshield wiper pump, driver window, breaks and back hatch.
Best mini suv by Everette from Los Angeles on 02/06/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Look great and the performance isn't bad
Cons: Needs a V 6 cause the 4 sucks
Overall review: I'm happy with the vehicle
a zippy little mountain goat by Barb from St Paul on 02/01/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The 5-speed is sporty enough to be FUN to drive and the cargo space is versatile enough and big enough to be useful. The rear seats fold down to make it easy to carry both my 6 foot son and 2 racing bicycles. It handles hills and curves like a mountain goat, quick but sure-footed. There's enough room in the back seat for adults and the higher seating is liked by grandchildren, they can see out the windows.
Cons: Window servos seem weak. Various ideosyncratic hums and chitters which take getting used to. Front seats are small for wide shouldered men. Front brakes have been prone to warping, due to design location, can be exacerbated by driving habits.
Overall review: A fun little vehicle which I have enjoyed driving. Seems to carry a good-sized payload. Drive train etc well engineered. Please don't 'fix it', it ain't broke. When asked I tell people that KIA began nmaking bicycles. If anybody understand gear ratios, they should. A car with poor gearing will still move, but poorly. A badly geared bike won't. Don't spoil a good thing. I recommend the KIA to all who ask, and they are frequent.
Kia by A CarPoint Consumer on 01/31/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Cons: would like better gas mileage
Overall review: Dones very well in the snow and handles very well.
Basic but good by wodaddy on 01/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Four Door 4-wheel drive for under $18'000
Cons: Poor exceleration' poor handling
Overall review: Great buy for young family that needs 4-wheel drive
could be a better sportage...... by linda on 01/17/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 2WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I like how it looks ...........
Cons: The paint peels,locks lock when you don't want them to.. alarm sticks,back tire sticks when you want to get to the back...
Overall review: We'll i think they need to recall alot of things because a lot of people are complaing that have these cars of the same thing..I think who ever made these got in to big of a hurry.......
nice car by ronald on 01/11/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Overall review: great car needs bigger engine
good for family by A CarPoint Consumer on 01/09/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: cheap on gas roomy esey to monuver
Kia Chaos by Margaret from San Diego, CA on 01/05/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Handles well, has ample cargo room (at least for me, although sometimes the kid has to stay behind in order to get something home), pretty good mileage.
Cons: Problems coming out the wazoo! There was a major recall- stopped working suddenly while driving. Happened all the time, once while on the freeway but usually right after the car started. Check engine light comes on- mechanics say they can't fix it, generally harmless- but how do you know when it's harmless and when you've got to take it in? Battery has died 2X in less than 2 yrs, due to major connection corrosion. Spare tire lock came broken, and we could not get the tire off when we had a flat. Clog develops in crack between windshield and hood that causes H20 leak on interior passenger floor- they said it was a manufacturer defect with no permanent solution.
Overall review: Do not buy this car! These problems were all covered under warranty but an incredible hassle. There are so few Kias that ordering parts takes anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks. Plus, the support personnel are supremely misinformed about the car. One said in order to get the spare tire off, we needed to purchase a special tool for like ninety bucks. 100% untrue. But it took multiple calls to verify that, including one to the local Kia dealer. However, I truly hope Kia has fixed these problems on its 2001 models, because if it hasn't, they'll go out of business and we'll be screwed with this car we can't find parts for. Yugo, anyone?
Kia Sportage Review by Lilunia, Kingston PA on 01/04/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: The Kia is eye candy indeed. It makes an excellent car for females, males, old and young. The price is good for anyone, getting less equipped to more equipped (with more money.) I love my Kia, and I personally have never had a problem with it.
Cons: I only have two complaints, which are not even that bad. First, my backseats are very close to the roof and a little squishy. Second, accelerating is very poor.
Overall review: My Kia is amazing to me. I have no reason not to love it. It is beautiful, perfect size, comfortable, affordable and the cd player doesn't skip!
excellent vehicle by SFanci01 on 01/04/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: size, looks, gas mileage, lots of things.......
Cons: not being able to find someone to work on it.... i need my transmission looked at, and nobody seems to know what to do
Overall review: I would definetly recommend it and buy another one...it is perfect size for me
K.I.A. WHAT COULD BE BETTER??? by LOU on 01/04/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: My little KIAis one tuff little s.u.v. it handles well in rain and snow ,I've never needed to use 4 wheel drive .My gas milage is outstanding a FULL tank of fuel and I'm good for about 255 miles ( that's at 18.00 a tank). Perfect heat,very good air, and a solid interior.On a trip it's nice for 2,but it's alittle small for any more tha three people.
Cons: I do not at all like the summer only tire's that came on my K.I.A. and interior cabin need's to be about two foot bigger( two foot bigger in seating area) And I think a little bigger engine would pick up the excitement a little ( for normal driving it is more than you need but sometimes you want to hotrod and play! )
Overall review: My K.I.A. is just about perfect for anyone it just needs alittle fine tooning . The engine needs just alittle boost and the seating needs to be bigger . The body is shaped very well and provides a nice view of what's around.Breaking is excellent. Fuel is great and the four wheel drive works very good I've never needed It but used it to pull a full size chevy van out of a snowy ditch with ease no problem.
The "Mini-Me" of SUVs!! by Patti from Connecticut on 01/03/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: True full frame (like full size trucks and SUVs) - not uni-body construction like those other small sized SUVs. Solid construction. Performs excellent in the snow using 4x4 mode. Nice sporty look with rear spoiler, hood wind deflector, and rain guards installed.
Cons: Engine could be stronger - bogs down going up medium sized hills (possibly due to the weight of the full frame). A V6 would have been nice. Driver and passanger doors leak water in moderate to heavy rain (along the top where door meets roof). Several trips to the dealer have yet to solve problem - replacing weather stripping did not help. Hard to re-fill rear window washer tank without spilling washer fluid on the carpet.
Overall review: I think it's still the best small SUV going for the price and warranty.
Whatever. by A CarPoint Consumer on 01/03/2001. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: It's really cute and fun when the weather is nice
Cons: Look at the cup holders. Control in heavy winds is rough.
Overall review: I want a new car. I don't think I'll ever buy a KIA again.
The Ultimate Experience by Sunil Kumar on 12/31/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Wonderful
Overall review: Excellent Buy
mime by caca from portsmouth va on 12/26/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: the kids can go to the beach and have fun all summer
Cons: zipper breaks
Overall review: elecent car for fun
veritilite by faye on 12/19/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: everything
Overall review: best car i every had
Sadly Disappointed by Kristine from Louisiana on 12/19/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I liked this vehicle because it was an affordable SUV. It was cute and I thought that I would enjoy it for many years.
Cons: I have had to return the vehicle to the dealer on three ocasions within the first 24 months of ownership. Once the check engine light came on - that was an Air Conditioning problem. Once the A/C was leaking inside the car which I had to pay for because they told me that debris in the evap. core was not covered. Now I had to have it towed to the Dealership because it just died on me at the gas station. There was a pin loose in the fuel injection system and it was not properly grounded. Thankfully that one was covered under warranty. Also, the paint on the front bumper is pealing off.
Overall review: I am very disappointed in the problems that I am having with my Sportage. Someone that works at the dealership that I purchased my Sportage from told me that they have seen a lot of KIA's pass through their service department. This is not a good sign.
"The Loser" by Jennifer, Alabama on 12/19/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: It was cute when I bought it.
Cons: The paint keeps flaking off. The rear hatch and tire rattle when going over bumps. The seals on the windows are poorly done, always sounds like you have the window cracked open. Have had too have a few things on the car replaced repeatedly!
Overall review: I would only recommend this car if you have money to throw away getting parts and paint constantly replaced. It wasn't worth what I paid for it and the value has dropped in half since I bought it.
Great Toy, Okay Car by Tralfaze48 on 12/13/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: It looks good. I mean that I really like the way it looks. It stands out in a crowd and gives you a good feeling to be seen in it.
Cons: The fit and finish of the car is poor. The gas mileage, at 23 combined with a small gas tank means that I have to refuel all too often. I have had to have mechnical items fixed or replaced in the first 10,000 miles tha t makes me wonder about the longivity that I am to expect. The lack of accessories, aftermarket stuff is few and far between and when you do find it, it is expensive.
Overall review: I love the car. I think of it as a big toy. I have enjoyed the surprising amount of pick up, when you step on the gas. The noise level, with the rag top is acceptable. The feel of the car is that of a solid, reliable road car. I love it
KIA, Keep Investments Away! by A CarPoint Consumer on 12/04/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Versitile, cute
Cons: There are many manufacter defects. Including the A\C which leaks. The re-sale value is HORRID. We purchased **BRAND NEW** for 16K last year. Our car (a year and a 1\2 old with 20K miles) is worth 7K trade in value. There are NO defects, all receipts for upkeep, and great condition. The cup holder is in the worst place possible. It blocks the air vents. This is worse in the winter b\c if you have a cold drink (like a coke) or something in the cup holder and you have the heater on...you have a hot drink in 10 minutes while your face and hands are freezing!
Overall review: Okay car for price but resale is horrible. . I would not recommend ANYONE buying a KIA . Also, this WOULD be a cute car for a high schooler going into college, it is dependable...but it's not a family car by any means....
Review ID: #32070 Is this review offensive?
cute little ute by A CarPoint Consumer on 11/28/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: nice little SUV
Not a Lexus, but a great truck by Scott from Columbus OH on 11/28/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: 4WD plus Economy
Cons: Light on power
Overall review: I would buy another one
fun family truck by dad from Denver on 11/20/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: the inside size of it I'm 6' and when I bought the car I got into the driver seat and adjusted it and then I got out and got behind the drivers seat to see how much lag room there was. To my surprise it was just fine. about performance it surprised me I have taken it to Albuquerque from Devver and there are two places I slow down to 55MPH I also go to hartzel witch is by the continental divide and it does just fine. my family of five fit just fine.
Cons: The wheel base is to small you have to watch your cornnering
Overall review: I'll let you know when I have 100,000 on it only 70,000 to go
The mystery Machine by Valerie, Tennessee on 11/18/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Its a great looking vehicle.
Cons: There is wind noise. The radio controls are too small. The paint and trim easily chips.
Overall review: Thank God I have had no problems.
good mini suv by A CarPoint Consumer on 11/16/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: good
Review ID: #20855 Is this review offensive?
preety good transportation by A CarPoint Consumer on 11/16/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: looks good drives good too
Cons: seems like it tries to change speed
Overall review: does prety good so far
Review ID: #20781 Is this review offensive?
PIECE OF CRAP VEHICLE by A CarPoint Consumer on 11/14/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: RUN FAST...... AWAY FROM THIS VEHICLE. KIA MANUFACTURES POOR VEHICLES AND WILLNOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT
Review ID: #19566 Is this review offensive?
Truck Wannabe by A CarPoint Consumer on 11/10/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage EX 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Overall review: I would not recommend this vehicle. It looks good but has alot of faults.
Great Value SUV by Pants Pierre from MVWA on 11/04/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Great value; Love the styling and the (standard on mine) alloy wheels; Utility, I filled the back from floor to roof with 8 foot timbers and hauled them home to build a wall, the Kia handled flawlessly; the standard speakers work well with the Alpine stereo I purchased seperately; fun to drive on and off road.
Cons: Heater and AC are passable but not fantastic; a few nickel and dime problems (which were covered by warranty and fixed quickly by the friendly service people); some wind noise.
Overall review: I'm really happy we bought the car, particularly after seeing some of the other small SUVs some coworkers have purchased (Sub Forester for $12000 dollars more, etc...). It's quite a bit more fun to drive than our Jeep Cherokee, gets about 24 mpg in the city and can carry anything you can fit inside. A few small problems have occurred, but nothing major and nothing that wasn't fixed quickly. The horrible resale value bums me out, but I didn't buy the thing to make money, and I see no reason we can't keep it for many years to come.
Don't Purchase a Kia! by Jennifer from St. Louis on 11/02/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage Convertible 2WD, Owned 1 year.
Cons: This car experienced mechanical problems within 2 weeks of purchase. After 2 months the starter went out. The brake fluid sensor had to be replaced. The power mirrors went out. The convertible top will not stay properly sealed. Kia offers a "customer assistance" line that is an utter joke.
Overall review: Based on the performance and the run around I have received from the dealers and the support line, I am VERY dissatisfied with my purchase. I would not recommend this car to anyone, and am still struggling with the dealers to buy back the lemon that they sold me. I have been assured repeatedly that not all Kia's perform like this, and I must have just gotten a bad one, yet they will do nothing to fix the problem and in the meantime I am stuck with an inferior car until my loan is payed off.
This is the poorest suv they ever made by Chris from Phila, PA on 10/26/2000. Trim: 1999 Kia Sportage 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: the only thing I like about this vehicle is the color and that it is easy to get in and out of
Cons: The things I hate about this car is, it doesnt excelerate fast enough, the braking system is horrible sense its starting to get cold it takes 3 trys to start it up and then it takes forever to warm up.
Overall review: I think this suv was a bad choice for me if I had known sooner I wouldnt be complaining later about any problems