1999 Isuzu Trooper

1999 Isuzu Trooper Prices
1999 Isuzu Trooper Fuel Economy
You get what you pay for... by matt from tampa on 10/27/2010. Trim: 1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4WD, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Well-built engine and bomb-proof frame/undercarriage. Overall its a great truck. I have almost 185k on the truck (mostly highway miles). It has the TOD system (I know there are some mixed reviews on this system) which has served me fine the few times I have been in snow/off-road. The truck still idles smoothly, no warning lights and shows no sign of dying anytime soon.
Cons: I wish that Isuzu actually built the transmission. They are GM trannys - and they are closed units. Trying to check your fluid is next to impossible as there is no dipstick. I am on my second transmission (first one died at 128k). That said, I haven't had too many other problems. It does burn a bit of oil - approximately 1quart btw oil changes. But I think thats normal considering my high mileage (185K). I have found that adding lucas to the oil helps to slow the consumption. Synthetic oil did nothing to slow the consumption and it costs too much considering its being blown out the exhaust pipe!
Overall review: Great truck for the money. I bought it as a knock-around truck. Thanks to Isuzu backing out of the US their value has plummeted. They are a bit underpowered if you are interested in flooring it off the line, but have it has no trouble keeping pace in traffic and merging on the highway. If you buy one used with over 100k miles, make sure the transmission is shifting properly and that there is no burned oil on the dipstick. If you have to replace a drivetrain component - you will not realize the value of the truck!
One and only one! by Joe from Arizona on 03/18/2009. Trim: 1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4WD, Owned 10 years.
Pros: The interior is roomy and seating comfortable. It does run well w 235 hp. It has 4wd and a transfer case.
Cons: Im not a fan of this vehicle and Im happy to be rid of it. Most likely I'm done with isuzus's, period. 4wd was weak even with low range. Gas guzzler is the best description of fuel economy. Very expensive to maintain in every area. Parts are a rip off and unavailable except thru the dealer. Burned oil badly after 100,000 miles. Yes i did regular oil changes.
Overall review: One only! Never again. I would not recommed a trooper to any one for any price for any purpose and frankly will not consider any isuzu again. I bought this one new and owned it for 9 years. I am familiar with it and its foibles. Most expensive vehicle I ever owned.
GOOD SUV AT THE PRICE by LOU on 02/27/2004. Trim: 1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4WD, Owned 5 years.
Pros: PRICE INITIALLY
Cons: PARTS HARD TO GET AND EXPENSIVE
Overall review: HARD TO TALK TO CUSTOMER SERVICE
The greatest SUV for the money by Airman from D.C. on 05/29/2003. Trim: 1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4WD, Owned 4 years.
Pros: I love the trooper. You get so much more for your money with isuzu. It has so much room in it. I know it looks kinda boxy, but it doesn't take much to make it look better. I put a black brush guard on mine with fog lights and I also tinted the windows. I have more done to it but with just that as a start you have a very good looking reliable vehicle. The torque on demand is great too because you can get more power just by hitting a button. Works well for slippery conditions when you could use all four wheels to keep traction with out having to stop and put the vehicle in neutral to put it in 4 wheel drive.
Cons: Like I said it is kinda boxy
Overall review: It is great
my trooper rules!! by chich from seattle, wa on 01/02/2003. Trim: 1999 Isuzu Trooper S 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: i've had my '99 trooper for a year and a half now and i absolutely love it! i've only had to take it to the shop for one problem and it was under warranty so i didn't pay a dime. i've spent money on this vehicle for gas and just recently, tires. i can't recommend this vehicle enough. one of the main reasons i bought it was that there is soooooo much more passenger room than all of the other comparable suv's. the cargo space is also substantial given that the spare is mounted on the tailgate. i love my trooper.
Cons: i wish mine had more options, not really a fault of the car though. i'd also expect better gas mileage from a v6.
Overall review: wonderful vehicle. fantastically reliable.