1999 GMC Safari

1999 GMC Safari Prices
1999 GMC Safari Fuel Economy
Love My Safari by Lynn on 01/17/2011. Trim: 1999 GMC Safari Passenger Van, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Has 180,000 miles on it with original engine and transmission. Does not burn oil. Runs like new. Love it. Had it almost seven year, bought it used.
Cons: Seats are heavy. Hard to get in and out.
Overall review: I love this van.
Not for the faint of heart. by Z-man in ATL on 03/12/2008. Trim: 1999 GMC Safari Passenger Van, Owned 9 years.
Pros: The most comfortable riding highway car I have ever owned. The back is the perfect size for a home improvement person (4' x 8' plywood lays flat with the doors closed.)
Cons: There are design flaws in this now defunct Safari/Astro model. The differential has a pronounced clunk and intermittent rear-axle spin that no one can fix. Repairs cost a fortune due to the mounting of the engine. The coolant is highly corrosive and eats radiators and gaskets. Good handling is only achieved with expensive tires and constant attention to air pressure and rotations. A/C and heating are oddly designed and it can be hard to get the sunny-side of the car cool in the summer and for some reason the driver's side is always cold in the winter. The removable bench seats are FREAKISHLY heavy and cumbersome. The dutch door can only be opened with the right hand due to button-placement.
Overall review: It's sad these mid-sized vans are all but gone. The size of them is ideal for so many things. You can definitely get more in them than any SUV in existence. And seriously, the ride is wonderful. The classic GM truck captain's chair has to be one of the finest items to come out of Detroit. I actually love this van, but it has to be tended to and watched carefully. It is delicate. When it breaks, it ain't cheap. A fuel pump was $400. Intake manifold gasket $800. Miraculously it has never left me stranded. The problem with the rear axle on these cars is annoying but no one has actually broken one that I know of. I get wildly varying gas mileage. The best is in warm weather on the highway with no A/C running (23mpg). The worst is in the city in winter with stuff loaded in the back (15mpg). When the next big thing breaks, I'll let this car go .. but I'll always miss it's ride and ability to hold a load of drywall with all the doors closed. Bring back the box van in a hybrid!
Bad Tranny, Alternator, Suspension by Beck in FL on 05/18/2006. Trim: 1999 GMC Safari Passenger Van, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Seats 8 people 6 adults comfortably Rear A/C
Cons: We've owned this Van since New, now has 93K miles We've replaced the alternator 3 times. Had transmission rebuilt twice, gone through 3 sets of brakes, Paint on hood is spiderwebbing due to heat from engine and Sunny state, back weatherstriping on overhead door leaks rain inside van, Terrible handling with narrow stock tires went to wider tires helped handling greatly!! Poor suspension, clicking in front during slow turns, window controls went out twice before warranty ended. Too many things for a 1999. Always maintained the regular maint. but still had to do ALOT of Maintenance WAY BEFORE it's due time.
Overall review: Read the Cons!! For the gas mileage we should have spent extra money & got an 8 seater SUV
Review ID: #492053 Is this review offensive?
Great active family van with one problem by Krazzzymom on 12/21/2003. Trim: 1999 GMC Safari Passenger Van, Owned 2 years.
Pros: We love our Safari. It tows amazingly and where else can you find a van that comfortably seats 8. I love the feeling of sitting up more like I am in truck than sitting in a car like most minivans.
Cons: Unfortunately, this van is known for transmission problems and ours was no exception. We had to have the transmission rebuilt, to the tune of $2600, at less than 90,000 miles and now at 115,000 we are starting to have problems with the transmission once again.
Overall review: Overall if I had it to do over again I would still buy this van. We have had it for 2 1/2 years and have had no other trouble than the transmission. It is perfect for our active lifestyle and will pull anything you put behind it with no complaints. Plus, I don't feel like a "minivan mom" while I am driving. My husband calls it our mini suburban although there is nothing mini about it.
grate truck, very clean ,good looking , by used for transporting motorized wheelchair on 10/10/2002. Trim: 1999 GMC Safari Cargo Van, Owned less than 1 year.
Overall review: grate truck,good on gas,very clean,has cargo partition installed