1999 Ford Windstar

1999 Ford Windstar Prices
1999 Ford Windstar Fuel Economy
Lemon by Disappointed mom on 06/01/2009. Trim: 1999 Ford Windstar LX, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Sport model with spoiler and sport wheels looks nice. Like the large windows and roomy interior.
Cons: Bought the van used w/33,000 milies. Within the year, transmission gave out, cost $2500. Shortly after, had Left-Banki/Right-Bank and Rack/Pinion replaced for another $1800+. Had to replace power steering pump 5 times!! Just took my van in to get coolant lines/radiator flushed. Mechanic backed it out of garage, sounded like it was grinding rocks. Told transmission was out, would need to have it replaced!!! 106,000 milies and it needs its third transmission?!!! Ridiculous!!! Single mom, just wanted a RELIABLE vehicle to get to work, get my kids to school. Instead, I got a lemon I can't afford to keep or get rid of..I just want to drop it off a cliff! Shame on Ford
Overall review: Windstars must not all be bad as some family members have been able to maintain them without taking out a home equity loan. If you are thinking of purchasing a 1999 Windstar, do your homework and check it out thoroughly or, better yet, run the other way.
see Pros by EVE&TOM on 02/16/2009. Trim: 1999 Ford Windstar LX, Owned 2 years.
Pros: We are both retired and have the usual problems of that age. Found out first time after a surgery just how easy this vehicle is to enter and exit and the comfort, oh, yezzzz, after back surgery, no less!! Our grand daughter practically gave it to us after buying something more "sporty" for herself, and believe or not, I can't help marvel at how well this car performs, just about every time I get into it. We could well afford a newer model, but really don't want to, this one is like the bed for the bear ... "just right". We took out the rear-most bench, and have exactly what we want to shop with and at times haul something around for a neighbor or one of our kids.
Cons: It does not have a very good turning radius .... but we got used to it.
Overall review: See Pros THANKS, FORD .... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORKS!
Nightmare by Wing on 01/24/2009. Trim: 1999 Ford Windstar SEL, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I hate this car after years.
Cons: Always has problem , transmission, power steering pump, power tran.
Overall review: Bad quality on mechanical and electronic system.
In a word? SAD. by the Sad family from Findlay OH on 05/28/2004. Trim: 1999 Ford Windstar SEL, Owned 5 years.
Pros: It’s a comfortable van with lots of room. That’s important, when you consider you will be spending lots of time sitting in it as you wait for the tow truck to arrive.
Cons: This van is by far the most mechanically inept vehicle on the face of the planet. Consumer Reports publishes a list of all the things that can go wrong with the 99 Windstar with the 3.8L motor. I have made EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE REPAIRS. My transmission went out at 38,000 miles. Ford’s response was “Did you buy the extended warranty? No? Well, sorry about your luck.” You would expect chrome to stay on a grill past 40,000 miles, wouldn’t you? Noooooo. Leather to stay on the leather-wrapped steering wheel? Fat chance of that, bub.
Overall review: You know, it's sad that a company like Ford Motor Company would produce a piece of junk like this and not stand behind it. It's sad that I put my family in this piece of junk, and it's sad that I ever spent over thirty grand for it. I've seen Aerostar, Windstar, Freestar. Same old same old. I have a suggestion for the name of the next Ford van in this lineage. It starts with the letter 'S' but it's not
Dependable, Reliable by Andy, Long Island on 02/26/2009. Trim: 1999 Ford Windstar Base, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Roomy. Comfortalbe ride. Excellent a/c. Good brakes. Finish and trim has held up. No major mechanical problems.
Cons: Acceleration is a bit slow, but with a 3.0, that's to be expected. Other than replacing the master cylinder, in 5 years have had no issues. If regular unleaded is used, excessive valve pinging is the result.
Overall review: 5 years ago, bought the base-model Windstar with 56,000 miles from my mechanic, so proper maintenance had been done before purchasing. Other than having to replace the master cylinder and some cosmetic freying on the aft of the rear (cloth) seats, with regular servicing this has been a dependable, comfortable and safe vehicle.