1999 Volvo S80

BUYER BEWARE - STAY AWAY FROM 1999 S80 ...GO FOR YR MODEL 2000 AND ABOVE!!! by SINGLE MOM WALKIN' IN ATLANTA on 04/10/2009. Trim: 1999 Volvo S80 2.9, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I love - love - love this car when it's working. It's a beautiful car that rides well and has VERY comfortable seats too. I also really enjoy the stereo...it's very clear, and has premium speakers.
Cons: Mechanically speaking - the car is garbage!!! I purchased mine used. My mom has two Volvo's and the models she owns have never given her any problems. I just naturally assumed that all Volvo's would be the same. As it turns out, the 1999 was the year they changed the body style on this vehicle and each mechanic (four total) I've spoken with has agreed that purchasing the 1999 was a mistake. I've experienced transmission, engine, cooling system, and HVAC issues with my car. I wish I'd purchased a 2000 from what the PROs say, it is light years ahead of the 1999 model.
Overall review: This would have been an amazing car if dependabilty were not an issue. Volvo really dropped the ball on the 1999 model!
Old Faithful by David on 10/14/2009. Trim: 1999 Volvo S80 2.9, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Comfortable, feels safe, great brakes, mileage could be better
Cons: Started burning oil early on, in spite of regular oil changes every 3,000 miles. Check engine light has been a constant nuisance, causing many costly repairs.
Overall review: Love driving and riding in this car; only wish there were fewer mechanical problems.
"Get a full maintainance package" by Dave on 07/26/2008. Trim: 1999 Volvo S80 T-6, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Great concept on paper
Cons: For Some reason this year s80 has an unusually high parts failure, It is a lemon. but because of the wide variety of mechanical failures. It's as if its' under a curse or something. My car has about 40,000 dollars worth of repairs so far. Trips to the dealer are typically 3000 to 5000 dollars a shot for regular maintains visits. So, need less to say i do not bring it in unless i must. I let it brake and fix it my self if I can.
Overall review: only buy used Volvos with a comprehensive maintaince package. Get free service and parts lasting the time you plan to keep the car. Even if its going to cost an extra 5000 dollars for the package its worth it. As soon as it expires get an other Volvo with the same full coverage. Never own a Volvo without having full maintaince coverage. It just too expensive to fix this brand. Now I know why they sold it to ford. Also, only buy a 2004 s-80 and up if you desire to stay away from the repair shop. I would buy one again because it the safest car out there. And my body is worth it.
Volvo's lemon line - the S80 by former volvo fan on 01/28/2008. Trim: 1999 Volvo S80 2.9, Owned 9 years.
Pros: comfort on long rides; 12 airbags; great handling even in snow/ice
Cons: cost of repairs and multitude of repairs
Overall review: Sorry to say that I agree w/ other reviewers; this is a money pit in terms of repair record. I wish I could keep the car but it just costs too much. This is the first new car that I ever bought. Only regrets.
Looks great, but then again... by Manuela from MA on 04/25/2007. Trim: 1999 Volvo S80 T-6, Owned 6 years.
Pros: When its not in the shop, its a comfortable ride!
Cons: Its been in the shop at least twice a year for the past 5 years for major problems. All at a much too high a cost.
Overall review: If you have throw away money, buy the volvo. If you want reliable transportation, don't.