1999 Volvo S70

1999 Volvo S70 Prices
1999 Volvo S70 Fuel Economy
Nice, but expensive maintenance and repairs. by An MSN Autos Consumer on 07/14/2011. Trim: 1999 Volvo S70 GLT, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Nice smooth ride, Comfortable for a long drive, engine runs good at 159,000 miles.
Cons: There are a lot of problems that arise. Within one year of having the car the window master switch went out, ABS module went out, brake caliper froze up, and electronic throttle body is on the brink of going. I am a little leary of getting it fixed because the dealer tells me it will be almost $1,500. The check engine light has never been off, and fault codes are for a transmission solenoid. I haven't even bothered with that. Coolant light came on and reservoir is full and engine doesn't overheat. I don't know why that's on either. Dash rattles which makes an annoying noise.
Overall review: Very costly repairs when things go bad. It seems like having such a robotic electronic car is kind of a pain. I wish more things were mechanical. It does drive nice though. I really like that. I just wish it didn't have so many problems come up.
'99 Volvo S70 GLT by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/09/2005. Trim: 1999 Volvo S70 GLT, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Intelligent design is evident throughout. This model was spawned from the 850 which has had many many years in which to receive refinement and it shows. Great all round car.
Cons: Every car has an achilles heel. For these cars it is the throttle control system. It is an electrical "fly-by-wire" type which is not a problem in itself. But the Italian made (Marelli) electronic throttle control unit will likely fail on all these cars. It isn't expensive enough to make owning the car prohibitive. I still have not had to replace mine, but it is coming. Not a real biggie. Also all the turbos' have a characteristic oil leak at the bypass line. Very cheap fix.
Overall review: Great car. Cheap to put tires on. Recommend Bridgestone RE950. Foreign cars usually cost more than domestics to repair, but with care, often don't require as many repair visits overall. If you are good about changing the oil anyway, get a turbo model as it's much more fun. Turbos' don't have great longevity if they get excess idling and/or sludged oil systems.
Made In Sweden by The Mainer in Woodland Park, Colorado on 05/29/2004. Trim: 1999 Volvo S70 Base, Owned 1 year.
Pros: I like how the car is very planted even at higher speeds. I always feel I am in control despite a bit of understeer in tighter corners. Other than that I feel there is a great deal of quality, comfort, and reliability.
Cons: My only gripe is the car seems to vibrate a bit, things vibrate/rattle when I first excellerate. I was also afraid the newer Volvo might not have it's traditional tank like quality like it used to, I have been wrong so far!
Overall review: I am not sure about the newer Volvo's since it has been bought out by ford, but I know this 1999 model still has the MADE IN SWEDEN stamp on it. I have owned 240s and I have no reason to think this one won't be just as long lasting!!
A Great Car! by A CarPoint Consumer on 08/26/2002. Trim: 1999 Volvo S70 GLT, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Almost everything: it's responsive, dependable, fun to drive, built to last, safe in case of an accident, reasonable to insure, and gets good gas mileage.
Cons: The headlights and windshield wipers seem to be inadequate, and sometimes there are minor recurring electrical problems with the lights.
Overall review: Excellent vehicle!!! I would definitely buy another.
Stay away from this baby by Disappointed in Seattle on 02/19/2002. Trim: 1999 Volvo S70 GLT AWD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Handling,styling
Cons: rough ride and hard suspencion, problematic on engine check indicator always false alarm, and most of all the very expensive repair all wheel drive system.needs to replace all tires even if only two needs replacement.
Overall review: This car is always at the shop for minor and major repair if I don't have a warranty I probably in poor house by now. Also expecting a 4000 dollars repair bill for the all wheel drive that blown out in the freeway.