1998 Volvo S70

1998 Volvo S70 Prices
1998 Volvo S70 Fuel Economy
Black Beauty by Jim in Seattle, on 10/18/2012. Trim: 1998 Volvo S70 T5, Owned 10 years.
Pros: Powerful, durable, reliable. I have $166k on this black beauty. The engine is solid as a rock. Other than standard oil, antifreeze, filters and plugs, I have had only 1 maintanence issue and that was a cam position sensor that was super cheap.
Cons: The electrical is really shaky. the driver side window stopped working and cant roll the back windows up from driver side - the seat warmers on the front seat dont work either.
Overall review: If you get past the minor electrical issues on the interior, this car is a knockout score! This car will easily will run another 100k or so...
sweet misery by sammy from northampton on 05/02/2013. Trim: 1998 Volvo S70 GLT, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: very stylish, rides luxurious
Cons: you can have serious engine problems and never know it
Overall review: id recommend it..if you can afford the maintenance
"Natasha" by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/08/2013. Trim: 1998 Volvo S70 GLT, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The styling is wonderful- classic, and most people do not believe that it is from 1998 since it looks so timeless! The interior is comfortable and it drives/handles wonderfully. I have never driven a car before where I felt safe from EVERYTHING. A car should make its driver confident, which is what "Natasha" (as I named her) does.
Cons: These cons are not a reflection on 1998 Volvo S70's in general, trust me. I was deceived while test driving the car and therefore ended up with a lemon. Not only did my suspension already come shaky (I bought it in 2011), but a gas smell came through the A/C the second I drove it off the lot and has continued ever since, whenever I use the A/C. My A/C also broke about a year later. The interior also is susceptible to the heat here and consequently the glovebox and steering compartment have come unglued, along with the weather stripping in the rear left window. The car is wonderful otherwise, but I believe it had not been cared for as well as it should've been before I got it.
Overall review: Overall, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this car! It is so comfortable (trust me on this, it has been on four eight-hour drives!) with nary a sore backside. Every day when I drive it, I take comfort in knowing that this car has completely tailored itself to me and my driving style. The seat is sunken in just right and embraces me, the steering wheel moves with my hands effortlessly, and the best part- I know I am in charge of the car. There have been some cars I've driven where it almost feels like the car is the boss (hopefully you know what I mean), but not this one. I used to worry about getting into accidents, but since acquiring this car I feel confident that I can take on anything, if needed, and definitely avoid them. It really has been good to me, and there is really too much to say about it! If the following statement doesn't convince you to buy an S70, nothing will. Despite the problems with my little lemon, I am looking into buying another '98 S70 (with much lower mileage)!
All you need to know about Volvo's S70 by Don John Atlanta on 06/15/2010. Trim: 1998 Volvo S70 GLT, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Great Quality, Goof gas mileage depending on how well you mangae the gas pedal. Extra safe. Good aftermarket styling options and factory ones as well. Pretty spacious interior( I am 6ft 5). Can be very fast/made to be very fast. Online community support for any troubles you have. Volvos are very good at hiding/dealing with problems. You can have major.minor problems, and not even know it, and the car will still drive as if nothing is wrong. (This is only good if you need a little time before you can bring the car to a shop), other cars with similar problems will need a tow, or will be severley affected, the Volvo will just take it like a man, and keep going. The car handles very very good.
Cons: Minor accidents will really fold and crinkle up the sheet metal( that is why these cars are so safe because of the crumple zones). THe motor mounts (Upper, lower, rear, and transmission) love to wear out quickly. The best thing to do about the motor mounts is to get polyurethane versions of the mounts(found on ebay, IPDUSA, and other enthusiast sites), and you wont have to worry again. Car isnt rear wheel drive, there can be some understeer, but it doesnt affect the handling much. Dealer service will drain all of your money, and I dont recommend using a dealer because they rip you off. OEM parts can be expensive, and some aftermarket parts are way better than oem, but are hard to find.
Overall review: I love my S70, and if you get one, you will love it too. It is safe, spacious, fast, and the swedes and germans use them as Police cars. They retain good value, and they have durable powertrains. Make sure that you check the car out once a week, because Volvos are good at hiding problems, which is a good and bad thing. Good if you need sometime to get to a shop, bad if you dont pay any attention, and continue to drive with the bad condition after a week or two. You will be safe in an accident, but the car will crumple up. Great accoustical sound. Can fit a Dual 15' subwoofer enclosure in the trunk with room to spare. Good handling. Replace old suspension components. Check online volvo sites and forums for styling parts, performance parts, races, and activities. Youtube has several videos of racing volvos, tuned volvos, styled volvos, and normal volvos. If you get a turbo model, opt for the 2.3L engine, which can be tuned to 500h.p. The wagon is even better. It is called V70.
my little volvo by schav18 from chicago area on 02/16/2009. Trim: 1998 Volvo S70 T5, Owned 1 year.
Pros: this is my first car, i have now had it for 9 months and love it. i love that my seat heats up, i have a winter, economy or sport transmisson that allows the car lots of versatility. i bought this car for $3,000 and invested $2,000 at the volvo dealership to fix a couple of little problems but i have had no problems with it since then and for the cheap price it was worth it. My car had an mpg reader and i can ussually get it up to 32 on the highway and up to an average of 36 on roads even if it wastes alot of gas accelarating. i would definitly recomend this car, especcially with the turbo i love the accelaration and it can easily keep up with the newer cars.
Cons: the check engine light has been on but i know lots of people who have oned this car and say it was a defect that volvo fixed but was still a problem in 98'. also this cars parking light turn on when i go to fast over a big bump. however otherr than that its fine.
Overall review: love this car and even thought im young and would prefer a sportier look it is great to have as a first cvar and will defenitly consider another volvo in the future.