1997 Volvo 850

1997 Volvo 850 Prices
1997 Volvo 850 Fuel Economy
The 850: An Unbeatable Package of Safety and Practicality by Jack on 05/24/2005. Trim: 1997 Volvo 850 Base, Owned 1 year.
Pros: The 850 is an awesome car, although it looks a bit outdated, the 850 is a modern and safe machine. The base model is a bit underpowered, so look for the GLT or T5 versions. The R/T5-R versions are gems, but look out for the R's that have been worked over by previous owners. Don't worry about mileage too much, you can drive yours into the ground. Before my 850 met its' fate, it had 150,000 miles.
Cons: The styling, while modern when it was new, is now outdated. The interior isn't very stylish, but it's functional and easy to use while driving.
Overall review: My 1997 850 saved my life in a car crash, and I will always recommend Volvos for that reason. There is no reason to try any other company and take a chance on your safety when you can trust Volvo with your life. Perfect for teens who just got their licence, or the teen that is accident prone.
If I could do it all over again, I'd still buy this car. by R. Smith on 11/05/2012. Trim: 1997 Volvo 850 Base, Owned 7 years.
Pros: It is so nice to drive. After driving my friend's new Honda Fit and my roommate's Kia, I really appreciated getting back behind the wheel of my car. It feels like a tank and I feel really safe, plus it drives nice and smooth and handles better. My car is at 208,000 miles and I bought it at 84,000. I hope it lasts a while longer because I love the car so much I would be disappointed to lose it. I really stand behind Volvos and there's a good chance my next car will be a Volvo when I'm able to upgrade.
Cons: Expensive to fix. I've learned to do some work on it myself to make it more affordable and I've discovered it's actually very easy to work on. I'm a lady with no previous experience or knowledge on cars, so I think pretty much anyone could do manage to do it. The brakes are easy to replace b/c it has disc brakes on all four wheels (easier than drums), the transmission fluid is easy to flush because it doesn't have a transmission filter (that means you don't have to get under the car to do it), and emissions can be a pain b/c the car has to be driven a certain way to complete a "drive cycle" but I looked up instructions online and did it myself which saved me ~$400.
Overall review: This has been a great car for me. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to explore working on it themselves in order to cut down on expensive repairs that come with owning an older vehicle.
Reliable Vehicke by Pamela - Houston, TX on 05/01/2006. Trim: 1997 Volvo 850 GLT, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Good gas mileage, reliable
Cons: Manual seat adjustment for passenger seat
Overall review: Good reliable car for driving to work and short road trips
Built to last by 850Owner on 09/02/2004. Trim: 1997 Volvo 850 GLT, Owned 7 years.
Pros: This car is a tank. Low maintenance, always works great. Great quality. We will drive this car well
Overall review: We will drive this car well 250,000 miles. Best vehicle in terms of price/performance.
Black Volvo by Jlefty Rhode Island on 08/08/2004. Trim: 1997 Volvo 850 Base, Owned 3 years.
Overall review: Great reliable car. rides very smooth at high speeds. It has that substantial feel of a Volvo.