1996 Volvo 960

1996 Volvo 960 Prices
1996 Volvo 960 Fuel Economy
2 3 4 5 6 7  Next
Classic Volvo Style, Little Problems by Dawn form Jonesboro, AR on 02/05/2004. Trim: 1996 Volvo 960 Base, Owned 4 years.
Pros: The outside is stylish and has the classic look of a Volvo. All of the exterior has held up wonderful. I even back into a concrete pole at considerable speed and the bumber was hardly messed up. Very durable paint, etc. The interior is nice except for the cup holders. Leather and heated seats are great, and it looks very expensive on the inside. Nice interior! Sport mode is great for passing, economy gets pretty good gas mileage, too.
Cons: Cup holders broke not long after I got the car. It has had little stuff begin to break, such as the sterio, the electronic gearbox (around $500 to replace), and a security system flaw that makes it unable to start. This is very irritating and sometimes takes me 45 minutes to get it cleared and to crank. Otherwise, it has been a pretty good vehicle. It is starting to get bad gas mileage, though. Also, limited head room in back seat due to sunroof going into the ceiling when opened. Tall people hit their heads.
Overall review: I think this is a good vehicle. It is stylish, roomy, and has a lot of extra things that make it confortable and luxury. The outside stays looking new, great paint, and the inside is great, too. The little things start to go out when it gets high in the mileage. I have 129,000 on mine, so its starting to feel it. This would be a great car if you want a classic look, otherwise go with the 2001 bodystyle.
Great Ride if you don't want to drink and drive! by Luxury Dry Driving on 12/03/2003. Trim: 1996 Volvo 960 Base, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Best Ride, quiet, smooth.
Cons: lack of seat position and lack of quality cup holders.
Overall review: There are to cupholders in the front that are in the way of your elbow and in my car are broken because they are thin plastic and spring loaded and the back seat cup holders are two lil divets that you place the cups in and hope the car never turns or hits a bump.
A decent touring sedan if you can ignore the interior shortcomings by Tom, South Jersey on 02/15/2003. Trim: 1996 Volvo 960 Base, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Unique styling, Great handling, Rock Solid Feel, Great Highway Ride, Decent Trunk Space,
Cons: Interior overall is not great. Cheaper plastic, interior light on shiftlever is out. Cupholders are small and break easily, lack of leg room in rear. Leather could be better. No electronics except radio. Had to replace emission components, gas cap, flow meter. still only bearly passes state emissions. Owned for 4 years have 81k. I still don't know how they can build a car in Sweden with rear wheel drive. Doesnt it snow a lot?
Overall review: I would'nt go out and buy a used one only because you will have some signifcant repair bills. Once you get then cleared up, it should run for at least 140k.
'96 960 - A good car by 3 Time Volvo Owner on 01/15/2003. Trim: 1996 Volvo 960 Base, Owned 5 years.
Pros: We bought this car in used in 1998, with only 12,000 miles. Since then we've put on about 35,000, so it is low mileage. This car feels solid. The fit of the exterior is very good, although its styling is a bit stodgy. It is, after all, a '96. Comfortable car to drive, good visibility, good sound (although I could use a CD player), brakes well, accelerates well at freeway speeds. Best turning car I've ever driven, literally turns on a dime. Easy steering as well. Dealer service has been outstanding.
Cons: A bit soft in its ride - I'd firm it up a little. The front cup holders are wimpy. No major mechanical problems, except the door switch for the interior lights continues to fail, which is an annoyance. I maintain the car strictly in accordance with manufacturer recommendations. The big quality issue I have is the leather trim on the door panels is peeling back on all four doors. According to my Volvo mechanic (an independent) it happens to all of them. This is a major visual irritant. My other criticism is that it's a little tight on head and leg room for me. However, I experience this in a lot of cars, and knew it going in. Fits my wife well, though, and she drives it most of the time.
Overall review: Overall, I'd buy another. I'd do some research to see if the door panel problem still exists, as it is a real bummer, but I am very satisfied with this car. Good driving, okay ride, handling and acceleration, and excellent safety (although I have never had to avail myself of this feature). I bought it with an aftermarket extended warranty. Through experience, I know when things break on a Volvo its expensive. Hadn't had to use it though.
Worst car Volvo ever built!! by A MSN Autos Consumer on 11/03/2002. Trim: 1996 Volvo 960 Base, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Slightly reliable
Cons: Absolutley no rear seat room at all, styling is soooooo bland, power just isn't there, and there are no electronics in this car at all!!!
Overall review: The worst car ever made!! Volvo really didn't try in 1996. There is so much plastic in the interior, at this price that is wrong. At least they could use thick, expensive plastic, but this is cheap crap. I can't get over the blandness of the exterior and the interior. The lack of electronics in this car amazes me, in 1996 there were cars at half the price with double the sophisticated electronics. The list goes on and on.......
2 3 4 5 6 7  Next