1999 Volkswagen New Beetle

Don't buy a Beetle! by Jen from Orange County on 08/02/2005. Trim: 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I think most people buy this car because of nostalgia, and the "cute" appearance. I love the look of my beetle, and enjoy the roomy interior for the front passengers.
Cons: The gas mileage is horrible for how small the car is. I've paid way too much money in repairs in a matter of months. Every trip to the service department is another $300-$500 dollar problem (atleast). The power windows are extremely slow sometimes, and random parts inside the car come off. The inside handles peel, and the cupholders are worthless. There is a major blind spot while making left turns. The a/c had issues (that was over $1,000 right there), and the shocks and struts break easily.
Overall review: I was so excited to get my Beetle. I still think it's the cutest car around. But I can't keep it because it's extremely unreliable, and I need to be able to trust my car (as should everyone). I wish I was one of the lucky ones to not have any problems, but my car turned out to be a huge hassle and money pit. I'm going to go buy a toyota, and call it a day.
Beetle Buggin by Beetle driving girl on 09/05/2007. Trim: 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0, Owned 5 years.
Pros: It gets great gas milage, handles well and looks sharp.
Cons: The cupholder in the back keeps breaking off because of the plastic prongs that are used to fasten it break easily. Inside accessories can be hard to find on the internet. Lack of luggage room.
Overall review: Overall, I love the size for me, but very unhandy trying to go away for the weekend with friends, just doesn't work. The fact that I get 30 mpg highway or around home, is great! A local guy is a beetle lover and knows just where to get stuff for the repairs at a reasonable price. The top reason I have the car is b/c of it's crash record tests. :}
Love My Bug! by Amanda on 07/27/2003. Trim: 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0, Owned 2 years.
Pros: I've had very few problems with my bug, and it's so much fun to drive! It's comfortable, reliable, and from the research that I've done, is a very safe small car.
Cons: I had some problems with the 02 sensor, but that was under recall and replaced free of charge. The cupholders are pretty much useless for anything but a can of pop.
Overall review: I absolutely *love* my bug! I can't say enough good things about it to other people. I take incredibly good care of it, so I'm sure that cuts down on the amount of repairs/maintenance/etc. I can't imagine trading it in some day for anything but another bug...
A Bad Day At Bug Rock by Dave on 02/26/2003. Trim: 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Comfortable interior. Good climate controls. Adequate power.
Cons: Auto transmission not well matched to this engine...highway speeds are high RPM, noisy and eats gas. Problematic electrical system. Terrible warranty (24/24). PREMIUM WARRANTY expensive and usually doesn't cover problems. Poor dealer response and quality control in service area...in some cases almost laughably incompetent
Overall review: Too many electrical problems....battery, wiring harness, lights, etc, occasional overheating problems. Back-glass 'collapsed' into the car one day....
Really are Mini Tanks by An MSN Autos Consumer on 04/04/2013. Trim: 1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2.0, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I have a 1999 manual and it picks up speed very very quickly, is a super smooth ride and requires minimal maintenance. The front seats are spacious and so is the trunk surprisingly. It handles very well and can fit anywhere (which is especially nice when trying to park in downtown areas). Only ever needed 1 tune up and regular oil changes.
Cons: Takes longer than other cars to heat up, and the heater at my feet doesn't heat as well as I'd like.
Overall review: These cars are beasts. I was recently in a major highway accident (the car flipped on it's side and skidded along the road about 10ft) and I was able to walk away with no major injuries. In any other vehicle I'm fairly sure I would have flipped entirely over and not have walked away like I did. These are super safe cars. Also, the engine still worked perfectly and needed no repairs afterwards. Just the wheels, tire rod and struts. The only body damage is from scraping along the road, the car didn't even dent. Overall, a very fun and SAFE car to drive.