1998 Volkswagen Passat

1998 Volkswagen Passat Prices
1998 Volkswagen Passat Fuel Economy
Watch Out ... VW Cares Nothing For You by Sad VW Driver on 05/04/2006. Trim: 1998 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 9 years.
Pros: I like the styling, the "attitude," and Volkswagen's contribution to the tradition of stylish European touring sedans. It's my Audi "B5": fun to drive, somewhat comfortable, and--when running with no mechanical problems--almost pure pleasure.
Cons: One year ago this month, I spent around $2,000 on repairs, and this month I'm avoiding having $1,200 worth of necessary repairs done. Last night, I purchased a car cover to protect the interior (the passenger-side front window stopped working a few days ago, and it is stuck--like the driver-side window opposite it was last year--in the open position ... $360+ to fix) and it will sit in my driveway until I can coax someone into taking it off my hands at a bargain basement price. To have both CV joints rebuilt for the third time since I have owned the car is way too much (almost $500 per side) but it must be done in order to keep driving the car safely. The AM/FM/cassette has been replaced
Overall review: Constant trips to the Volkswagen dealership's service department. Combined with my wife's used 1994 VW Jetta and its occasional trips to the shop, sometimes I feel as if I live at the local VW service department. All the service reps know me by first name and details of my life, and the courtesy driver can find my house with no difficulty. I guess I've gotten some use out of this car, but my 1989 Jetta lasted me for 240,000 miles with only a few big repairs toward the end, but this car has nowhere near that mileage. I hate to buy Japanese, but I probably will with the next new car purchase. My wife (the more practical of us) is completely soured on Volkswagen. Sad, because I was a faithful believer (AKA sucker) at one time. Just another gullible consumer influenced by the slick marketing techniques of a company who then abandons me to my fate, displaying a shocking lack of interest in my ever doing business with them again.
I'll buy it again. by Liz on 01/19/2008. Trim: 1998 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 10 years.
Pros: The car handles well on turns, holding the corners at speeds that are greater than the posted limit. It accelerates immediately and smoothly so that entering the freeway is a breeze. Gas milage is 33 on the hwy. and 28 in the city with a 5 speed transmission. I can take it down country gravel roads with little worry and I can park it any where with ease. Week long road trips are enjoyable with smooth comfortable rides and road noise is almost nonexestant.
Cons: The cup holder is flimsey at best. I have had to replace my remote keyless entry fob several times because the rubber cover over the buttons wears out before the warrenty expires, and the warrenty is only 1 year.
Overall review: This is the best handling car I have had the pleasure of driving. I have complete faith in its reliability and handeling. I can play on the curves on Hwy 1 or sit in stalled rush hour traffic in comfort and confidence.
Review ID: #521994 Is this review offensive?
Quality Quirks and Increasing Cost of Ownership Chased Me Away by LAA on 10/20/2005. Trim: 1998 Volkswagen Passat GLX, Owned 7 years.
Pros: I bought the car in 1998 in its first model year and I was excited!!! This car will always be remembered by me for all of its unusual and very useful features. The triple drivers' seat memory was essential and the tilting passenger side mirror were revolutionary.
Cons: This car made me just shake my head more than once. It made my mechanics shake their heads too. This car was not exactly ergonomically built for maintenance and parts that should have lasted for longer gave up the ghost. Then the recalls also did this car in. I never knew what I was going to hear about this car next, either in the news, or from VWoA.
Overall review: I traded it in for a reliable vehicle that does not cost $1000 for normal parts, labor, and maintenance, yet touts itself as a family luxury sedan and I am happy. I will remember the features of the Passat GLX fondly.
overall well done product by Laurie on 02/13/2005. Trim: 1998 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Seems to stay as uptodate as any newer vehicle
Cons: early electrical problems-----Must use premium gas and synthetic oil
Overall review: Has stayed stlish and up-to date
Review ID: #461965 Is this review offensive?
Nice to Look at but Expensive repairs by Dad from los Angeles on 09/02/2004. Trim: 1998 Volkswagen Passat GLS, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Nice looks and handles well
Cons: Expensive repairs every 18 months. Has been an expensive nightmare
Overall review: I would love to get rid of this car but would have problems recommending anyone to buy it. Air flow computer has gone 3 times! Now have to replace rack and pinion. I don't have a lot of miles even. VW does not back up car. Customer Service says sorry, not our problem. Look at the reviews and run away from this car.