1997 Volkswagen Golf

1997 Volkswagen Golf Prices
1997 Volkswagen Golf Fuel Economy
It keeps going and going and going!!! by Chihuahua-Mama from Seattle WA on 02/26/2012. Trim: 1997 Volkswagen Golf GL, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: * The driver's seat is extremely comfortable. * The cars produced in the second half of the 1997 model year have recommended major service at 40k miles rather than 30k miles. * At the time that I bought this car (1997) VW offered a 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty. (Sad to see they don't still do that.) * Another thing, the car has a pretty decent clearance and so we drive this one when we want to take a scenic ride on the forest service roads east of Seattle. * This car has an incredible turning radius. It's clear whoever coined the phrase "turns on a dime" had the VW Golf in mind. *The interior has held up really well after almost 15 years of use.
Cons: The interior of the hatchback had a flimsy covering over spare tire that tended to sag with age (and the weight of my golf clubs). I fixed this by custom cutting a sheet of thin plywood. Also, the carpeting in the hatchback is pretty low-end, and so lots of debris sticks to it, and is then hard to vacuum off. And eventually I had to get with the times by replacing the factory cassette player with an after-market cd player. (not really a big deal)
Overall review: I bought this car as a young grad student in Boston in April 1997 for about $15,000, transported it west to Seattle after graduation, and here I am 15 years later still driving it. With relatively low mileage for its age (127k) I've more than gotten my money's worth from this purchase! I'm still on the original clutch and any repairs I've made were normal wear and tear items (e.g., water pump at 115K miles). I'll eventually buy a new car, but it's hard to say goodbye to this one while it still drives like a 5-year-old and has absolutely nothing wrong with it. Final assembly was in Mexico for this car and there's no doubt they had a good day in the factory that week. ;+)
V-Dubbin by An MSN Autos Consumer on 10/02/2006. Trim: 1997 Volkswagen Golf K2, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Car is great on gas even with my lead foot (30+ a gallon mixed highway/local driving). Pretty easy to work on. Ive repaired several problems without having to go to the dealer. Pretty nice pickup for a 4 cyl. and handles like a dream. I'm looking for another one to purchase now.
Cons: Cup holders weren't made for us Americans who drink 16+ oz. drinks. Looks like they were made for 12 oz. cans. Body molding could be a problem if you don't look after it. There one day gone the next.
Overall review: Fun to drive. Handles well. Great on gas. If you decide to get one get a manual. You won't regret it.
Yellow rocket by Simon on 07/18/2006. Trim: 1997 Volkswagen Golf VR6 Drivers Edition, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Great acceleration, nice to drive for long trips, no majors problems, you're the only one to have this car in town!!!
Cons: Hard on gas, expensive insurance, soft, i mean really soft stock suspension !!!
Overall review: Nice little rocket, i wouldn't exchange it for nothing in the world!!
Beautiful! by Jen from Texas on 09/14/2005. Trim: 1997 Volkswagen Golf K2, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Great acceleration, Comfortable & great gas mileage.
Cons: The cup holders are not functional; too small and awkward positioning.
Overall review: I love my car!
vw golf by A CarPoint Consumer on 04/15/2002. Trim: 1997 Volkswagen Golf GL, Owned 1 year.
Pros: build quality and fuel economy from the tdi engine.
Cons: dated looks
Overall review: good quality low budget motoring