1996 Volkswagen Passat

1996 Volkswagen Passat Prices
1996 Volkswagen Passat Fuel Economy
cool sedan by tom joe on 02/21/2002. Trim: 1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX, Owned 6 years.
Pros: The interior
Cons: The transmission
Overall review: It's an ok car
The Worst Car You Can Buy! by Montrose, Colorado on 07/29/2001. Trim: 1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Comfortable and quiet.
Cons: Extremely poor reliability. Bad dealer support network. This probably has to be the worst car manufacturer I've ever dealt with. Volkswagen just doesn't care about it's customers. I've spent nearly $13,000 in repairs on this car and would NOT recommend this car to anyone!
Overall review: Poor craftsmanship, terrible customer service, extremely expensive to maintain and repair. Servere problems with Automatic transmission, brakes, O2 sensors, starter, and water pumps (yes there are two).
Ultimate MPG!!! by Dennis on 02/25/2013. Trim: 1996 Volkswagen Passat TDI, Owned 3 years.
Pros: The TDI is getting 45 mpg doing 80-90 mph. This has almost 300k and i love this car. 18+ gallon gas tank and i can go 700+ miles between fill ups. Daily driver and a daily round trip of 110 miles a day for work, go get u one.......
Overall review: great car
A lemon to be sure by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/05/2007. Trim: 1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX, Owned 6 years.
Pros: When things work they work great
Cons: Electrical system is a mess, and each item that breaks cost a fortune to replace (power windows, display pannel, headlights, AM radio, all panel lights, and more). Headliner comes off easy. No glove compartment. Transmition lasted 10 years, not sure if more could be expected. Door locks freeze easily below freezing. Door handles are tempermental - I had them fixed or adjusted several times and they still do not work properly.
Overall review: I would never recommend a VW after this experience, although I hear other have much better experience than I had.
Nice, comfortable, but expensive. by An MSN Autos Consumer on 09/06/2005. Trim: 1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Overall this is a very comfortable, excellent handling car. For a front wheel drive car, it is remarkably free from torque steer. I feel it handles better than the smaller Jetta. The seats are excellent, very supportive and great on long trips. The interior is spacious and comfortable. It is peppy, gets good mileage and is a pleasure to drive. I have had the car for three and a half years and have put over 100k miles on it. The car has 181k on it. I use Castrol Syntec 5W/50 oil and change it every 10k miles.
Cons: The Passat is very expensive to have repaired. The OEM parts are ridiculous in price. For instance, front brake pads list for $138. I could have got a whole front brake job on my BMW 325, which was the car I owned previously. The car is basically reliable, but there is always some little thing braking, like door handles or locks. In the past year I have had some major work done, but most was covered by an extended warranty I got when I bought the car. For instance, the transmission needed to be rebuilt. That would have cost me $3026, but the warranty paid $2k of it. Otherwise, I would not have kept the car. The brakes needed $1800 in repair early this year, also covered.
Overall review: It is a nice four door car for someone who needs the room. I would get one from a dealer that can offer you a warranty-three years or more. If I did not have that extended warranty, I would be cursing this car out. It is a pleasant, comfortable vehicle that handles exceptionally well for a front wheel drive car. If you can find a used BMW 3 series with low mileage for the same price, pass on the VW though.