1996 Volkswagen Jetta

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Prices
1996 Volkswagen Jetta Fuel Economy
Must have lots of $$$ to drive by Dave on 02/20/2007. Trim: 1996 Volkswagen Jetta Trek, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Excellent turning radius, decent gas mileage, no rust, zippy.
Cons: 120,000 miles. Lots of expensive repairs, all at least $300. ran good until about 100k miles, everything just started breaking every couple months, replaced: clutch, exhaust system twice, radiator, oil leak, heat shield, etc. now the head gasket is cracked, whats next? Very hard to work on unless your a pro volkswagon mechanic. I've had 2 volkswagons and both have had the moon roof break and the side molding peeling off.
Overall review: If you have at least $15,000 to blow on maintenance then this is your car. It drives great if it 100% maintained. Maybe I jsut got the abd one out of the batch, i hate this car because of many many repairs, so many that i can't remember them all.
Fun, reliable car by Derick from Richmond, VA on 08/24/2004. Trim: 1996 Volkswagen Jetta GL, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Very reliable, interior upholstry and parts still in fantastic shape, paint still looks good, comfortable, with the alarm that sounds, you will NEVER leave your lights on, ABS brakes on a car that was $14,000 new!
Cons: Somewhat on the slow side, I'm getting poor gas mileage and I don't know why
Overall review: I am 17. This was my first car, and I've owned it for well over a year. I LOVE IT! At 111,000 miles, I've never had a problem with the car. It's still shiny after 8 years, interior is in great condition, and it runs like new. Handles wonderfully, nice German road feel, for a bargain price. I plan to sell it in a few months, but not because I don't love this car, just because I want to buy a new Jetta.
The Ultimate Disappointment by Bad Transmission, Indianapolis, IN on 10/22/2003. Trim: 1996 Volkswagen Jetta GL, Owned 4 years.
Pros: I loved the way my Jetta looked - small, sporty, yet roomy on the inside.
Cons: I've had more problems with this car than I care to think about - the thought makes me sick to my stomach. The car is very high maintenance. The new problem and what is going to make me get rid of "the albatross" is the transmission. At 82K miles it's shot and I don't care to replace it to the tune of $3000+ only to nervously anticipate what will go wrong next. And I do not trust any of the "certified" mechanics and/or dealerships who charge out the (@*# to even take a look at it!
Overall review: For the amount of money I've put into this car, I could have been driving a Cadillac. I'll never buy a VW again. I thought it would be a better, durable car than it's American made counterparts. I thought wrong.
The Black Racer by shorty form washington, nc on 08/27/2003. Trim: 1996 Volkswagen Jetta GL, Owned 3 years.
Overall review: this car has taught me how to drive and has been a VERY safe car and comfortable.
AWSOME JETTA by SPAGHETTI EDDIE FROM COL, OH. on 03/16/2003. Trim: 1996 Volkswagen Jetta GL, Owned 7 years.
Pros: GERMAN ENGINEERING AT ITS BEST / SMOOTH RIDE/ HANDLES WELL / INTERIOR EXTERIOR HAS HELD UP WELL / 60000 MI IN SHOP ONCE FOR IGNITION SWITCH / GREAT GAS MILEAGE / BOUGHT AMERICAN BEFORE NEVER AGAIN / GO VW GERMANS BUILT THE BEST TANKS.
Cons: . WIPERS ON WINSHEILD NOISY / DRIVER SIDE SEATSPRING BROKE/ HAD RECALL ON HOOD LATCH.
Overall review: NICE VEHICLE / VERY RELIABLE