1999 Toyota Tacoma

Love that truck! by sweetpea on 04/01/2009. Trim: 1999 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 4WD, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Reliability is unmatched. I bought my Tacoma used with 50k. Since then I have had to change the oil and put on new tires. I now have 176,000 miles on it. Granted, most of those are highway miles, but it still is a testament to the truck. I have zero rust, not even bubbles. I have the TRD option with the bigger four cylinder engine. It won't win any races, but it ain't no slouch, either, if you use the RPM's. The truck has performed every task I have attempted. I paid $18,000 for it in 2002 and it was worth every dime. I get 26 MPG on the hwy at 60 MPH. If I go 70 mph it drops a few MPG. I highly recommend the setup on this year/model.
Cons: I suppose the ride isn't as good as a caddy, but it's a truck for gosh sakes. I never expected it to ride like a car. It doesn't get 100 MPG, either, darn it.
Overall review: Although I can't afford a new one I'd buy another used one and wouldn't be daunted by >100k miles on the odo. It still, at 176K, starts, handles, and runs like new. I highly recommend the TRD package. Beefier I'm told. And except for a few boo-boos it even shines up like new!
Solid Truck by A CarPoint Consumer on 07/15/2001. Trim: 1999 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4WD, Owned 2 years.
Pros: The best factory-equiped off-road truck available. I sailed through muddy places where a lifted S-10, Silverado, and Dakota had nearly gotten stuck.
Cons: Expensive options. They wanted to charge me $80 of an in-dash digital clock. I said forget it. Aweful fuel economy in 4x4 mode, by pretty decent on the freeway in 2x4.
Overall review: Good work truck and very dependable. Fun to drive off-road, not on-road.
Best little truck on the road by Luke in Texas on 02/13/2011. Trim: 1999 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2WD, Owned 6 years.
Pros: Bought this truck when it had 100,000 miles on it, and now 5 years later it has nearly 170000 miles on it. It runs just as good and it did when I first got it. Had to replace the starter, thermostat and tires only. It was so good I bought me another one and keep it on stand by for when every this one does break. It just keeps on running, best truck I've ever had.
Cons: No space behind seat and can't lock up tools.
Overall review: Best working truck you can get. It pays for its self in the first few years!!! I wouldn't take anything for my tacoma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My (almost) dream truck! by Hogster on 01/26/2010. Trim: 1999 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4WD, Owned 8 years.
Pros: I like the styling of this truck very much. The interior is stylish and durable , after ten years and153,000mi its petty much like new! I'm also impressed with everything being so tight still. I dont baby this truck either. About a third of my driving is highway and 80to90mph is no problem . I do find gas milage suffers at high speed , but thats to be expected with a 4 cyl engine working harder , mine is automatic.
Cons: The onlly thing I dislike is I have had to replace two oxygen sensors in order to get a sticker.
Overall review: I love this truck and would buy another, this time an extended cab( Ihave a reg cab. I would'nt buy the new version ,they're too ugly and to big for my purposes.
Best for the money in quality by A MSN Autos Consumer on 11/06/2002. Trim: 1999 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab V6 4WD, Owned 3 years.
Pros: Toyota quality. Good engine, sharp looking truck. Best truck for the money. I love toyota.
Cons: Sorry interior its been just about the same for the past 12 yrs. Not much to look at for a $26,000 truck. Seats are so freak'n uncomfortable. Need to put more thought and comfort into the interior. overall better than any Ford or Chevy.
Overall review: Good looking truck, best quality. Can't go wrong. Best resale. Good customer service. Need some interior improvements.