1999 Toyota Camry Solara

1999 Toyota Solara by Ray Plymouth,WI on 12/08/2012. Trim: 1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE, Owned 7 years.
Pros: Follow the recommended maintenance schedule for this car and it will never let you down. Engine and drive train always smooth and predictable. Interior quality is superior, after 14 years it still looks great, handles, knobs, buttons, latches,and controls all operate as new. Toyota did not go cheap on interior plastics, and electronics on this model. Its comfortable on long trips and has plenty of room for four adults. The car is driven in WI in all seasons and still shows no sign of rust. The under carriage is solid no rust, This is a major safety concern for cars this old in WI.
Cons: This is Toyota's 3.0 v-6 engine and gets 25-26 mpg at best. For a sporty model the suspension is to soft and mushy. The factory installed struts fail at less than 100,000 miles and are very expensive to replace.
Overall review: I have bought this car used in 2005 with 88,000 on it. Currently it has 318,000 miles. I read about 3.0 engine failures and being a concern on this model's reliability record. The problem was oil jelling which led to engine failure. But the real problem was not with the engine as much as it was with poor maintenance. YOU MUST CHANGE THE OIL AT RECOMMENDED INTERVALS. This car has not had a single failure except with the struts in the years I have owned it. This car has had multiple drivers in my family with different driving styles, from hard to easy and on every type of road you can think of. I know I will get at least 400,000 miles plus out of this car before it gets recycled. An outstanding car as many other toyotas thoughtfully engineered.
1999 V-6 Manual by IntegriS on 09/14/2010. Trim: 1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE, Owned 3 years.
Pros: I'm a Toyota man so of course I love it. I bought the car used in 2007 with 127k miles on it. Found the V6 with a manual transmission which is a rare thing for Toyota to make. Love the body style, the power, the comfort, and the auto-headlights. Lots of luxury in a sports car.
Cons: Only thing I can complain about is the gas mileage. 24-27mpg, I know its a V6 but my fathers Avalon gets around 30mpg and he drives just as fast as I do. Also the lower part of the passenger door is rusting.
Overall review: Timing belt snapped about 500 miles after I bought the car off e-bay but once I got that fixed then all I've done is change the oil and put gas in the car. I hit 200k miles a couple months ago and it runs awesome.
great sporty car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 03/26/2009. Trim: 1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE, Owned 10 years.
Pros: I like everything about this car. 157K and still has the same pick up it did when it was new.
Overall review: Runs great and has good pick up
Average Car by kevin in chicago on 05/04/2008. Trim: 1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE, Owned 9 years.
Pros: Basically, buying a more stylish Camry. Trunk is huge as is back seat for a 2 door. Despite warnings from Toyota, gold trim is as good as new. So far no problems with sludge, although I change oil every 3M-4M miles. Still the most stylish Toyota, not cluttered with weird sheetmetal and goofy add ons that Japanese designers love.
Cons: This is really just a re-styled Camry, so handling and acceleration is tame. Road noise and comfort much better with Goodyear comfort tread tires. Transmission down shift are harsh at times. The leather is real poor quality, worn and cracked seats areas, leather steering wheel is shot. I have lost all the chrome on the front grill yet the gold trim still looks new. Mechanically, I have replaced some rear suspension parts and the car is getting harder to start, I am told it may be a fuel pump. Cannot totally turn off the ventilation system without closing each vent. Wiper problems and passenger seats rattles when empty, shoulder belt has weird twist and rubs your neck, annoying.
Overall review: This is just an okay car. Toyota is not the world killer that Consumer reports wants you to think they are. This is my second Toyota and I don't know if I would buy another. The first was a Supra that HAD engine problems and this one Toyota tells me I may have a sludge/engine problem. I consider engine defects to be serious flaws. Body/paint integrity and seats materials I would rate as poor. Beware of Toyota dealers and their so called "service" departments. Avoid them at all costs. Find a good independent, these are not exotic cars that need to go to the dealership for service.
Toyota Solara by An MSN Autos Consumer on 09/04/2007. Trim: 1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE, Owned 4 years.
Pros: Fun to Drive. Great Gas mileage!
Cons: No Dis-likes
Overall review: Love My Car