1998 Toyota Camry

1998 Toyota Camry Prices
1998 Toyota Camry Fuel Economy
Another 150,000? by Skycar from California on 05/27/2012. Trim: 1998 Toyota Camry LE, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: I know I do no good in placing a blanket pro over the entire vehicle but I must say I have very few cons (ABS and struts) at all about this model that could trump a still running engine and that is its biggest pro for me. That is if you are certain the car was well maintained. Trunk is great and rear seats have decent leg room. Decent acceleration for that period car. The car does have low clearance. We use recirculated air and have no problem. Defroster is weird but I haven't figured out how to use it yet so can't comment. Very simple car. Purchased New Made in Japan. ODO 160,000 as of writing this review 5-2012. Still running strong.
Cons: For some reason our car is average only 22MPG highway 14 years later and I have not a clue why. The hood has started to buffet ever so slightly above 70MPH. Braking is all or nothing and causes the less experienced to jerk the passengers about. Other than the regular maintenance at the required intervals the Camry needed: Valve Guide Seals 100K, cleaning Throttle Plate, cassette player (forget how but could be me), engine overheats lately, changed struts, temperature sensor changed (result radi. fan always on), minor cosmetic problems, and replacement of engine duct 150K. That is quite a list that does not include dents and component failure because of incidents or still never shown (ABS).
Overall review: The Camry's service history shows if there was no maintenance on the car or if you purchased one used or with poor workmanship it is feasible that the problems could arise. I however reject that statement because our car is running smoothly as if it was rolled of the lot a few years ago and we plan to run it another 150,000 miles. There are numerous problems that will arise as time passes including the initial signs of paint chipping recently (from our cats, long story) but if you put the time into the car I have no doubt my Camry's engine will continue running. And that is what makes this car the Toyota it is.
CAMRY'S ARE IMMORTAL CARS by Mentallect on 05/13/2012. Trim: 1998 Toyota Camry CE, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: 210,000 miles and runs like it has 50,000. Changed the fluids, air filter, spark plugs, battery, and gave her a new timing belt at 150,000 and nothing else. It uses virtually no oil. Had my transmission flushed out last year, and my mechanic couldn't believe there was no transmission shavings and all the major components were original. Camry's are engineered to last. I know mine will eclipse 300,000 with the original engine and transmission. I still get better than 33 mpg on the highway.
Cons: None!
Overall review: It comes with my highest recommendation.
Best mid size car by An MSN Autos Consumer on 02/17/2012. Trim: 1998 Toyota Camry LE, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: I bought this car new in 1997 and have been driving it since. The performance has not changed since the first day on the road. Other than a new muffler ( couple of times) and new batteries, it is a pleasure to own
Cons: no cons at this time
Overall review: Handles well, suspension a little lose since 97, but still holds the road, I hate to think of buying a new car, don't want to see this car go
Great dependable car! by JanSport40 from Greensboro, NC on 12/03/2010. Trim: 1998 Toyota Camry LE, Owned 5 years.
Pros: My 98 Camry, has over 230,000 miles on it and still it still runs today. I bought the car with 115,000 miles, thinking I would get rid of it within the 180,000 mile mark, but instead I decided to keep the car, I was impressed of how well this car held up, nothing major came up like, the transmission failing, or the engine failing. I believe if a car can make it past the 180,000 mark, it's a car worth keeping. The ride is soft, but the suspension isn't all that great, but it's something to get over. The sound is excellent for factory installed equipment. Very large trunk and glovebox for storage.
Cons: I did have an Airbag light that came on in 2006, but it was caused by a short in SRS computer, needless to say I wasn't happy about it, but for safety concerns I had the computer replaced for $500.00. The dome light inside the car has a short, if you try to remove the bulb, you have a risk of burning out a fuse. The struts/ suspension system are not a favorite of mine. Not a big fan of the rectangle tail lights, but it is different from anything else out there, especially back in 1998.
Overall review: Overall, I love my Toyota Camry, and I only hope it will continue to run beyond 300,000 miles, but simple preventative maintenance and oil changes should keep my car going into that direction. Toyota makes good cars, but I don't think they are made the same as they were back in the 90's, from what I know, the other Toyotas have fewer problems than the newer models. You can't go wrong with a Toyota and I will always be a strong believer in that, for I have owned one.
Great Car by Rob of Indy on 04/14/2003. Trim: 1998 Toyota Camry LE, Owned 5 years.
Pros: Runs great, easy to maintain. Stylish without being "showy."
Cons: Color is somewhat drab. Toyota needs more vibrant colors.
Overall review: Worry free car. Starts when you want, stops when you want. Gets you where you want to go, even in deep snow.