1997 Toyota Tercel

1997 Toyota Tercel Prices
1997 Toyota Tercel Fuel Economy
The Best Value on the Road by Nick from Berkeley on 02/02/2014. Trim: 1997 Toyota Tercel CE 2-Door coupe, Owned 7 years.
Pros: This is a great car for someone who's looking for great fuel economy and amazing reliability. And honestly, you might be a little thick if don't think these characteristics are important. I love using the split-folding rear seats to open up trunk space. I also think it has pretty good handling overall for a front-wheel drive car (no torque-steer, tight turning radius) . It's small size coupled with its tight turning radius and fuel economy make it the ultimate city car. The interior provides you with just what you need. I found out that my car has added options like air-con, heated-rear window, and the split-folding seats, so those aren't standard Oh yea and over 30 MPG in an automatic car!
Cons: There are few downsides to owning this car but most of them lie within the aesthetics department. Besides the fact that this car isn't the best to look at, it also lacks acceleration on the highway. I own the 3-speed automatic version which is probably slower than the 4-speed auto and the 5-speed manual in acceleration, and that's upsetting because I know that that the 4-speed auto and the 5-speed manual are also more fuel economic than my 3-speed, but not by much. The rest of the cons have to do with the styling. I kinda like the body styling but I am not a fan of the interior. Manual windows can be annoying (but reliable) and only 2 of the cup holders do their job.
Overall review: These are the most important characteristics of the 1997 Toyota Tercel Classic Edition (CE) - Reliability: This car is like an AK-47 in terms of reliability, it really goes on like the energizer bunny, whether you maintain it or not (but for god's sake maintain this car!) -Fuel Economy: My car get's an average of 31 MPG and has a 11.9 gal tank so it's range is approximately 372 miles. In California I'm paying $3.57 a gal on average so it costs me about $42.48 to fill up. So $42 will get me 372 miles. That is extremely good. -Safety: Even though it's a small car, the Tercel has a surprisingly good crash test rating. Overall, it has an average of 3.75 stars for all front and side crash tests.
Fantastic car, easy and cheap to maintain...great bang for the buck. by Thefixitchick in Clarington, Ontario. on 04/13/2009. Trim: 1997 Toyota Tercel CE 4-Door sedan, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Amazing gas mileage, easy to park, easy to maintain, user friendly interior; front wheel drive is awesome in snow!
Cons: Sluggish on highway acceleration, but the Turbo feature easily adds the quick punch it needs.
Overall review: I purchased this car for my daughters 18 & 19, for their summer jobs in May 2008 with 176,000km, and it just turned 200K. My partner (6'4") has had a 1998 Tercel since new and he now has 420,000 trouble free Kms. The girls returned to University in Fall so I took my Highlander off the road and drove the Tercel. I love it! I put a set of snows on this past winter, got the girls behind the wheel in 2 feet of snow and it was fantastic. It was very well maintianed by the previous owner, and is immaculate inside and out; no rust, rattles, squeaks or scratches. I recently put my snows away, changed the spark plugs, oil and air filters and got 650km on the first tank. It's zippy, smooth, fairly quiet and very reliable. Being a 4 cyl I knew the hsp was no where near that of my SUV, so I was not disappointed; actually that was one of the reasons I bought it for my daughters. The back seat is a bit tight, but I don't sit back there! Awesome car, fun to drive. We love our little green snozberry!
Excellent Gas Milage by Seaside, OR on 02/16/2009. Trim: 1997 Toyota Tercel CE 4-Door sedan, Owned 2 years.
Pros: Everything
Cons: NONE
Overall review: Great Vehicle
My little blue monster by An MSN Autos Consumer on 12/09/2008. Trim: 1997 Toyota Tercel CE 2-Door coupe, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: I love the great gas mileage. It's an awesome commuter car. In the time I've owned it I've never been left stranded. My mom always told me Toyotas were great cars. I'm glad I finally bought one of my own.
Cons: The distance between the front seats and rear seats. Not a whole lot of room for comfort.
Overall review: Awesome! I love this car! I'm at 138k and counting. It's the best purchase I've made in the last year.
What a bargain by Jason from Belding Michigan on 05/17/2007. Trim: 1997 Toyota Tercel CE 2-Door coupe, Owned 1 year.
Pros: Awsome little car. Great gas mileage and handling.
Cons: The brakes always feel spongy. The rear wheel wells seem to be prone to rust. The Cruise control is also a bit fidgitty.
Overall review: Great little car. 166,000 miles and no major problems. Just usual maintenance done and it runs like it was new. Its got good looks and I often get comments on the seafoam green paint!