1997 Toyota Tacoma

great by An MSN Autos Consumer on 01/29/2012. Trim: 1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: a very handy transportATION.
Cons: seat belts,never return no,t too much,i do have automobile,but,but when i am in onalaska,use the tpyota almost daily
Overall review: just a great truck
Even if I buy another vehicle, my sweet little truck is "NOT FOR SALE!" by Barbarah from Vacaville on 09/14/2011. Trim: 1997 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab V6 2WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: It's reliable, trouble-free, seems 'bullet-proof' when it comes to break-down. Not any down time EVER except for routine maintenance. I have the no-frills model, and aside from the seat belt retractors working but not working WELL, not one thing has broken. Latches, levers, buttons, knobs and dials are all intact and work just fine. I have over 185,000 miles on this sweet little ride. About all I INSIST on regularly is keeping the oil clean by changing it pretty close to every 3,000 miles. NO EXCUSES! (I bought life-time oil changes when I bought this truck, and I am so glad I did!) I LOVE that the cab is narrow... great visibility, and I can reach everything inside the cab easily.
Cons: My grandchildren have grown and the back seat is too small for either of them to sit comfortably for any length of time. Alone or with one passenger, I am VERY happy, very comfortable.
Overall review: This is the very best vehicle I have ever had.. I LOVE it! When I tow my little trailer, I hardly even know it's there unless I'm driving up a pretty steep hill. The integrity of this truck is AMAZING! I never fear the "what if..." s that I used to think when I took a longer trip in any other vehicle. I've owned it for over 14 years now and I am PLEASED!
perfect size truck. by lowdown on 07/13/2011. Trim: 1997 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab V6 4WD, Owned less than 1 year.
Pros: almost everything !
Cons: no springs on hood hinges (uses rod), cup holders, hand brake, brakes ,no locking tailgate,and seats cloth.
Overall review: like to have purchase new in 1997.
Best Little Workhorse Around by steve, kent wa on 01/23/2011. Trim: 1997 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2WD, Owned more than 10 years.
Pros: very reliable- purchased from ford lot in 1998 and had about 12000 miles--heck still under warranty!!--- only maintance is plugs, oil&filter and air filter...etc. (regular type work)
Cons: when purchased brake pads and tires were terrible for longevity
Overall review: great little truck--use it as such---hauling lumber or other building material for home improvements- threw cut logs in bed and now looks very wavy!! i really abuse the purpose of my truck--to haul items in!!! VERY IMPRESSED Keeping forever to see how long will last
Taco time by Damon on 11/06/2009. Trim: 1997 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab V6 4WD, Owned 9 years.
Pros: good reliability, good power for a v6, I have used this as a work truck and off road truck and nothing has stopped it. After 145,000 miles, plenty of them being pretty hard miles, it still runs strong. It does everything I could hope for... Sand dunes in Pismo beach, massive snow storms in tahoe, cross country drives with 45mph head winds, towing motorcycles, gnarley off road trails.... wash it off and head to work... It hasn't failed me yet.
Cons: I had a steering rack go bad at 115,000 miles. Standard suspension didn't cut it for me, I put heavy duty springs all the way around and that fixed up that rear sag. rear seat is not really for passengers. My frame is definitely rusting pretty good. It isn't an issue at this point but it is rusting everywhere. It has spent 3 hard winters in northern vermont and 5 snowy winters in Tahoe, so perhaps it's to be expected but I fear it will be an issue down the road.
Overall review: I keep up on all maintenance and put some very hard miles on it and it runs strong at 145,000. I would buy another. Aside from general maintenance I have had to replace one u-joint and a steering rack but that might be from really pushing this truck hard with towing lot's of weight and off-roading fairly aggressively.